Page 115 of 128 FirstFirst ... 15 65 105 113 114 115 116 117 125 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,725 of 1912

Thread: What are you reading?

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastBronco View Post
    Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey
    Really gritty, fun science fiction.
    It's the first in a long series so I'm glad I'm enjoying it.
    The TV series is great, I keep meaning to read the books but #1 is never available at the library when I look.

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

Big Data, Little Wars. A book using big data processes to do COIN. Very dry but interesting.
    "We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers

They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
    Big Data, Little Wars. A book using big data processes to do COIN. Very dry but interesting.
    What's COIN?

btw, thanks for the Intelligence Matters suggestion.

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    What's COIN?

btw, thanks for the Intelligence Matters suggestion.
    counter-insurgency action. No problem on the IM podcast
    "We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers

They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard

5. The Following User High Fived elsid13 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Recommend me 5 books.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

On Writing Well - Zinsser
    Capitalist N*gger - Onyeani
    The Paypal Wars - Jackson

That's approximately 5.

I'm reading Sanderson right now, because it's an entertaining frivolity.

I'm reading some ancient history authored by a woman the name of (let's see if I get this right) something Wise Bauer. pretty heavy read. like reading game of thrones only it's (apparently real/took place) a lot of characters/kings/ wars and such

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    I am halfway through Empire of the Summer Moon right now and I can honestly say it is one of the most fascinating books on history I've read in some time.

Essentially it is the story of the waning days of the wild west and what if finally took to drive out the last of the Comanche tribes and expand American settlements to the west. The focal point of the story is Quanah Parker, the last great Comanche Warchief, who was was literally a bridge between old and new worlds as the son of a Comanche man and a woman named Cynthia Ann Parker. Cynthia was actually abducted from her home at the age of 9 after most of her settlement was killed by the Comanches who were so powerful that they kept Americans, Mexicans, and the Spanish at bay for hundreds of years.

This is a hard read in that you get glimpses into historical accounts of the savagery at the time from the people who lived it via journals and other writings. These include things like mutilations and infanticide, often with all the gruesome details included. So don't expect to pick this up for light reading before bed. I have had to re-read several passages because they are so engaging and disturbing. It is hard to imagine that in the lifetimes of people we may have known (such as great-grandparents) that the world was still very much open and untamed as little as just over a century ago. This book was a Pulitzer Prize finalist and one of the easiest recommendations I can make for fans of history, or people playing Red Dead Redemption 2 and wondering about that era which admittedly made me look into books like this last week.

I haven't read regularly in probably 8 or so years. Either working, on the internet or watching TV/movies. Keep trying to get back in to the habit of reading, so decided to look through here. This doesn't sound like a light read, but sounds pretty interesting.

I think I might try and alternate between some history/biographies and fiction (if I can find a few authors that really catch my attention).

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    A heads up since we talked about this book in here once, the recently released bio of Ulysses Grant is on sale for the kindle. $1.99.
    Maybe the sale is over. I see a bunch of Grant books, but none for 1.99. Which book and was it any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    I haven't read regularly in probably 8 or so years. Either working, on the internet or watching TV/movies. Keep trying to get back in to the habit of reading, so decided to look through here. This doesn't sound like a light read, but sounds pretty interesting.

I think I might try and alternate between some history/biographies and fiction (if I can find a few authors that really catch my attention).
    My decision to read it was based off of the MS review. Glad I did. Good read

12. The Following User High Fived BroncoNut For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Maybe the sale is over. I see a bunch of Grant books, but none for 1.99. Which book and was it any good?
    https://www.amazon.com/Grant-Ron-Che...UNMG95Z&sr=8-1

I haven't started it yet, but it's by the guy who wrote the definitive bio on George Washington, so I'd be shocked if this one wasn't good.

I haven't started it yet, but it's by the guy who wrote the definitive bio on George Washington, so I'd be shocked if this one wasn't good.
    Thanks. Has treat Amazon reviews. I think I'm going to start with this, as the Empire of the Sun and Moon looks good, but heavy.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Thanks. Has treat Amazon reviews. I think I'm going to start with this, as the Empire of the Sun and Moon looks good, but heavy.
    Empire of the Sun and Moon is probably 3 times shorter, so technically much less heavy.

16. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Hmmm, could have sworn when I clicked on the link the other day (but didn't order it, because I have a different account for my kindle purchases), it was 1.99, but now it's 16.99 for the Kindle Version.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Hmmm, could have sworn when I clicked on the link the other day (but didn't order it, because I have a different account for my kindle purchases), it was 1.99, but now it's 16.99 for the Kindle Version.
    Yep...you missed the deal!

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information