Page 109 of 128 FirstFirst ... 9 59 99 107 108 109 110 111 119 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,635 of 1912

Thread: What are you reading?

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I'm just still over here reading Wheel of Time....

Good lord what a long series it is. I forgot how long it was (especially since it drags like molasses in the middle)
    Yeah, that's where hawg finished. About page 582 of book 6 or 7.

Shut the cover, said to myself, we are done here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

2. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post

Hahahahah. That just really made me laugh. I actually pictured you calmly shutting the book, putting your reading glasses on the end table, sighing, and saying exactly that before you pull your pipe from your smoking jacket.

4. The Following 5 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

It does get better after that point and it finishes strong...I figure books 6 and 7 are for audiobooks only...

None. Don't have much time nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by JayTango View Post
    None. Don't have much time nowadays.
    Now I'm interested... 2 posts, neither interesting, where's the stuff that got this guy banned haha.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Now I'm interested... 2 posts, neither interesting, where's the stuff that got this guy banned haha.
    Spammer, links to promotional spam sites in his signature and bio page. Not visible after a ban.

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

"The Righteous Mind" by Jonathan Haidt, which I got for Christmas. IIR Mr. Haidt is NTL's boi, and I can see why. Its a fascinating book discussing the evolution of systems of morality. I'm not usually much of a psychology fan, but this is well worth the effort
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

10. The Following 4 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Just finished leadership down. Great classic.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Just started Brain on Fire by Susannah Cahalan. Saw the movie a few months back which was excellent, now want to check out the book. So far so good.

13. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Did you like it Frey? I started it but lost the thread.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

16. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Did you like it Frey? I started it but lost the thread.
    I'm not finished yet, about 1/3rd of the way through. Enjoying it so far though it's a weird premise honestly...

18. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    I am halfway through Empire of the Summer Moon right now and I can honestly say it is one of the most fascinating books on history I've read in some time.

Essentially it is the story of the waning days of the wild west and what if finally took to drive out the last of the Comanche tribes and expand American settlements to the west. The focal point of the story is Quanah Parker, the last great Comanche Warchief, who was was literally a bridge between old and new worlds as the son of a Comanche man and a woman named Cynthia Ann Parker. Cynthia was actually abducted from her home at the age of 9 after most of her settlement was killed by the Comanches who were so powerful that they kept Americans, Mexicans, and the Spanish at bay for hundreds of years.

This is a hard read in that you get glimpses into historical accounts of the savagery at the time from the people who lived it via journals and other writings. These include things like mutilations and infanticide, often with all the gruesome details included. So don't expect to pick this up for light reading before bed. I have had to re-read several passages because they are so engaging and disturbing. It is hard to imagine that in the lifetimes of people we may have known (such as great-grandparents) that the world was still very much open and untamed as little as just over a century ago. This book was a Pulitzer Prize finalist and one of the easiest recommendations I can make for fans of history, or people playing Red Dead Redemption 2 and wondering about that era which admittedly made me look into books like this last week.

I always forget to post in this thread.

I picked this up at Thanksgiving, and read through it pretty quickly.

It's an awesome read! Thanks for bringing it to my attention Shake.

Partly, I'm sure because I grew up in many different towns/cities all located within the huge boundaries of what was known as "Comancheria". So, when the author describes the different places/camps/battlegrounds I could quickly see them in my minds eye. "I've been there" kept on resonating with me throughout.

Adopted Bronco:
    Sammy Winder

Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson.
    Really interesting read about one of the great game changers of our time.
    I'm at the part now where he and Steve Wozniak are just starting Apple.

I've seen the movie that was based on this book and it's really well done.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

The Big Sky by A. B. Guthrie, Jr. Dave you might like it.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information