Page 108 of 128 FirstFirst ... 8 58 98 106 107 108 109 110 118 ... LastLast
Results 1,606 to 1,620 of 1912

Thread: What are you reading?

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    Attachment 13314

BoomTown. Awesome book of Oklahoma City History. From before the landrun, through to the current city. It jumps back and forth between the history in chronological order with the 2012-13 OKC Thunder season (the infamous James Harden Trade season), and weaves a fun analogy between the sudden emergence of the City and the sudden appearance of the Thunder and their respective success.

OKC has such a rich, entertaining, and surprising History, and Sam Anderson does a great job of weaving it all together.
    Just spent my weekend hiking in SE OK.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker

Just a glorious book - i have read it before, but listening to the audiobook now on my morning runs.

4. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

I started reading the God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. no comment as of yet. not far enough along.

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker

Just a glorious book - i have read it before, but listening to the audiobook now on my morning runs.
    this sounds kinda intriguing. I think I have always had an uncertainty or chronic fear of something

Eisenhower: In War and Peace by Jean Edward Smith

8. The Following 4 Users High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

I am halfway through Empire of the Summer Moon right now and I can honestly say it is one of the most fascinating books on history I've read in some time.

Essentially it is the story of the waning days of the wild west and what if finally took to drive out the last of the Comanche tribes and expand American settlements to the west. The focal point of the story is Quanah Parker, the last great Comanche Warchief, who was was literally a bridge between old and new worlds as the son of a Comanche man and a woman named Cynthia Ann Parker. Cynthia was actually abducted from her home at the age of 9 after most of her settlement was killed by the Comanches who were so powerful that they kept Americans, Mexicans, and the Spanish at bay for hundreds of years.

This is a hard read in that you get glimpses into historical accounts of the savagery at the time from the people who lived it via journals and other writings. These include things like mutilations and infanticide, often with all the gruesome details included. So don't expect to pick this up for light reading before bed. I have had to re-read several passages because they are so engaging and disturbing. It is hard to imagine that in the lifetimes of people we may have known (such as great-grandparents) that the world was still very much open and untamed as little as just over a century ago. This book was a Pulitzer Prize finalist and one of the easiest recommendations I can make for fans of history, or people playing Red Dead Redemption 2 and wondering about that era which admittedly made me look into books like this last week.

10. The Following 6 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    I am halfway through Empire of the Summer Moon right now and I can honestly say it is one of the most fascinating books on history I've read in some time.

Essentially it is the story of the waning days of the wild west and what if finally took to drive out the last of the Comanche tribes and expand American settlements to the west. The focal point of the story is Quanah Parker, the last great Comanche Warchief, who was was literally a bridge between old and new worlds as the son of a Comanche man and a woman named Cynthia Ann Parker. Cynthia was actually abducted from her home at the age of 9 after most of her settlement was killed by the Comanches who were so powerful that they kept Americans, Mexicans, and the Spanish at bay for hundreds of years.

This is a hard read in that you get glimpses into historical accounts of the savagery at the time from the people who lived it via journals and other writings. These include things like mutilations and infanticide, often with all the gruesome details included. So don't expect to pick this up for light reading before bed. I have had to re-read several passages because they are so engaging and disturbing. It is hard to imagine that in the lifetimes of people we may have known (such as great-grandparents) that the world was still very much open and untamed as little as just over a century ago. This book was a Pulitzer Prize finalist and one of the easiest recommendations I can make for fans of history, or people playing Red Dead Redemption 2 and wondering about that era which admittedly made me look into books like this last week.

Quanah Parker is an interesting "hero" (for many). Living most of my life in his neck of the woods, I have always been interested in his life. I'm always surprised that he is not more widely known. Everyone has at least heard of Geronimo or Crazy Horse. Not so much Chief Quanah Parker.

I might have to pick this up.

12. The Following 3 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Eisenhower: In War and Peace by Jean Edward Smith
    This is one of my all-time favorites.

14. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post

I own this book and have read bits and pieces, but I haven't been able to read it all the way through yet. Now i'm gonna have to find the time!

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    This is one of my all-time favorites.
    It was hard to find a good Ike biography. This one looks to be the best. I’m enjoying it so far. He had always seemed like a great American.

18. The Following User High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Re-reading The Dog Stars by Peter Heller. I recommended it to chazoe a while back, we made a deal--he reads Dog Stars I read the Ty Cobb bio--never heard his thoughts. Re-reading it, I'm convinced it was a reasonable recommendation for that crusty dude. It's a McCarthy/Hemingway type book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6FDA1C5B-C84D-49E6-A209-18176F39E74B.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	13346

Absolutely riveting....

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Priorities require that I read the Beastie Boys book before I read the Quanah Parker book.

Preordered it but have only just found the time to read it, so I'm only on page 50 but it's excellent so far. Ad Rock and Mike D both acknowledge that MCA was the brains so the book won't be as good without his perspective. But it's got a lot of good, interesting stuff in it. Exploring NYC life in the 80s, being teenagers, the punk scene, etc. Their voices come through really well which is awesome. Can't wait to get into the actual band stuff.

Also, it's a hefty price but worth the physical copy. Very well made, tons of pictures throughout. Impressive. Fans of Beastie Boys will enjoy, but fans of music in general should also get a good kick out of it.

23. The Following 3 Users High Fived aberdien For This Post:

I'm just still over here reading Wheel of Time....

Good lord what a long series it is. I forgot how long it was (especially since it drags like molasses in the middle)

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I'm just still over here reading Wheel of Time....

Good lord what a long series it is. I forgot how long it was (especially since it drags like molasses in the middle)
    Yeah it goes on for a Wheely Long Time.

Gotta check out that Beastie Boys book. Last good autobiography I read was Bruce Springsteen's. That man is a poet, probably the easiest book to read and the hardest to put down I've ever read in that genre.

26. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information