Page 96 of 128 FirstFirst ... 46 86 94 95 96 97 98 106 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,440 of 1912

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Where is "here"?
    In Salina, Ks. We have a rather large library with a full adult section on the first floor and an equally large children's section in the basement. They have rather large collection (they actually even have Xbox One and PS4 games available for checkout too) I am actually surprised I never take advantage of the last part....

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I've never been a note taker. Even here at work, people are making huge notebooks full of important information they need to remember for their job. I have never functioned that way. A. I can't read my own writing most of the time B. I have one of those crazy memories where I retain large amounts of data. People at work think I'm joking, but my brain is my notebook.
    It was a habit that I got for my father - it's not just taking notes in a traditional sense like being in a lecture, but recording your own thoughts and analysis. It's personally annotating it. I suppose you could call it annotation. Man, when this semester ends I'm going to go out by the lake, grab a book, set up the hammock, and just get away from screens that glow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

3. The Following 3 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

In Salina, Ks. We have a rather large library with a full adult section on the first floor and an equally large children's section in the basement. They have rather large collection (they actually even have Xbox One and PS4 games available for checkout too) I am actually surprised I never take advantage of the last part....
    Wow. You are incredibly close to where my wife is from. I'm up that way quite a bit to visit her family. I'd never guess there was a good library in the area outside of maybe Wichita.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    It was a habit that I got for my father - it's not just taking notes in a traditional sense like being in a lecture, but recording your own thoughts and analysis. It's personally annotating it. I suppose you could call it annotation. Man, when this semester ends I'm going to go out by the lake, grab a book, set up the hammock, and just get away from screens that glow.
    I long for the day when I don't have school...I take classes year round (including summer) I normally have a month of between classes because we do one class at a time and I don't have enough aid to do 3 classes per semester.

I'm so ready to be done, but adding a dual major pretty much ensures I won't finish until around the beginning of 2020 at this point.

A nice hammock by the lake sounds like a fantastic plan.

6. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Wow. You are incredibly close to where my wife is from. I'm up that way quite a bit to visit her family. I'd never guess there was a good library in the area outside of maybe Wichita.
    I don't think people realize Salina is close to 60,000 people. It's not a huge city by any means compared to places like Denver, but it's the third largest city in the state (behind Topeka and Wichita and ahead of Kansas City which is split between states)

Adopted Bronco:

I don't think people realize Salina is close to 60,000 people. It's not a huge city by any means compared to places like Denver, but it's the third largest city in the state (behind Topeka and Wichita and ahead of Kansas City which is split between states)
    My wife is from McPherson and her family lives right outside of there on the far northern outskirts of Canton. They live literally right across the street/dirt road from the Maxwell Wildlife refuge. Her uncle is basically an oil baron in the area and owns hundreds of acres there. So, I'm just not use to seeing populated areas when I'm in Kansas.

9. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

"why i am not talking to white people about race" - a book about black history and white oppression in the UK - its a real eye opener, we are fairly well educated on the civil rights movement in america - but our schools don't really touch racism on mainland UK (we cover colonialism obviously) it was not until i started this book i realized how poorly read i was on UK based black history and "whiteness"

I also just finished "loving" by Sheryl Cashin - a phenomal read, covering Loving Vs Virgina, but also provided a timeline on cross cultural/race relations from jamestown and pocahontas to present day - brilliant book

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    "why i am not talking to white people about race" - a book about black history and white oppression in the UK - its a real eye opener, we are fairly well educated on the civil rights movement in america - but our schools don't really touch racism on mainland UK (we cover colonialism obviously) it was not until i started this book i realized how poorly read i was on UK based black history and "whiteness"

I also just finished "loving" by Sheryl Cashin - a phenomal read, covering Loving Vs Virgina, but also provided a timeline on cross cultural/race relations from jamestown and pocahontas to present day - brilliant book
    Sounds interesting. I have to admit, my knowledge of "popular" information on race relations in the UK is pretty limited to the stories around Michael X, Paul Stephenson and Olive Morris.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    I'm going to go out by the lake, grab a book, set up the hammock, and just get away from screens that glow.
    I am not waiting - going to buy a hammock today. I don't have a lake like PAGS, but my backyard will suffice.

14. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Our librarian likes us to read newly released books over the summer to "review" them for kids for the upcoming year. I chose two from the list, and I finished this one about a week ago. It's called Refugee by Alan Gratz, who seems to write a lot of historical fiction about WWII and Nazi Germany. It's about as close to reading fiction as i'll get.

It's obviously going to be a book that inspires a political discussion, so I won't dive too much into that.

It's a story about 3 separate families of refugees - a boy and his family attempting to escape Nazi Germany, a girl and her family attempting to escape Castro's Cuba, and a boy and his family attempting to escape Assad's Syria. It details their struggles and uses real life people and events in the process. Being a young adult novel it's a pretty quick and easy read, but I highly recommend it for anybody interested in reading a nice history-based novel about the lives and struggles of refugees. It's very good and I think every human should read it.

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    Our librarian likes us to read newly released books over the summer to "review" them for kids for the upcoming year. I chose two from the list, and I finished this one about a week ago. It's called Refugee by Alan Gratz, who seems to write a lot of historical fiction about WWII and Nazi Germany. It's about as close to reading fiction as i'll get.

It's obviously going to be a book that inspires a political discussion, so I won't dive too much into that.

It's a story about 3 separate families of refugees - a boy and his family attempting to escape Nazi Germany, a girl and her family attempting to escape Castro's Cuba, and a boy and his family attempting to escape Assad's Syria. It details their struggles and uses real life people and events in the process. Being a young adult novel it's a pretty quick and easy read, but I highly recommend it for anybody interested in reading a nice history-based about the lives and struggles of refugees. It's very good and I think every human should read it.

Saw this at the elementary school book fair. Thanks for the review.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

18. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Saw this at the elementary school book fair. Thanks for the review.
    It's something I would actually like to read with my classes next year if I can manage to get a classroom set of it. Detaching it from the refugee discussion, it does a really great job of showing how bad life is in some places in the world for some people due to oppressive governments and what not. It's hard to get junior high kids to understand what life is like in different places and why, and that's my subject, so I think it would be valuable and inspire some good discussions.

I'd like to hear your thoughts if you end up reading it.

20. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Last book of yours I read was a winner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

22. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Reading the Neverending Story

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Reading the Neverending Story
    Like Bastion and Atreyu Neverending Story?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information