Page 88 of 128 FirstFirst ... 38 78 86 87 88 89 90 98 ... LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 1912

Thread: What are you reading?

I actually do need to figure out where I'm going next. I finally finished Oathbringer (holy crap it was amazing). I wouldn't mind Patterson, but i'm still very firmly stuck in my Sci-fi/Fantasy rutt right now. I'm not sure I could break out of it long enough to do some normal old fiction I may go ahead and do it anyway. Otherwise I'm going to re-read the first Mistborn Trillogy for the 10th time (not that there is anything wrong with that mind you)

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I wouldn't mind reading some of his books one of these days. Along Came a Spider is an excellent movie. I am positive the book is about 100 times better.
    The thing about Patterson is that his books are like cocaine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    That's kinda how I feel about Sanderson.

4. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Sanderson is a commendable plot artisan, but he's no Patterson. Sanderson has an edge in that he works in fantasy, but if Patterson was a fantasy author he'd crush Tolkien.

That's kind of what I'm getting at...Patterson is just an interesting study.

https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...patterson.html
    I’ve been lucky enough to write with James Patterson for the past two and a half years. Before that I’d written eight novels, including Rogue, been published in multiple languages, sold books into movies, and been nominated for and won various awards. In short, I thought I knew what I was doing when it came to commercial fiction. Working with Patterson, however, I discovered quickly that I didn’t.
    Last edited by Hawgdriver; 12-06-2017 at 11:14 PM.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I've read Elantris and Mistborn 1-3, but I read the next book in the Mistborn series with the trains and guns and yawned myself away.

I've heard he did a great job with the conclusion of the Jordan series, too, but I have this unfortunate trait of dropping things that don't appeal too quickly.

I've read Elantris and Mistborn 1-3, but I read the next book in the Mistborn series with the trains and guns and yawned myself away.

I've heard he did a great job with the conclusion of the Jordan series, too, but I have this unfortunate trait of dropping things that don't appeal too quickly.
    I didn't like the first book in the western Mistborn trillogy, because I think when he wrote it, he wasn't good enough as a writer. He has grown by LEAPS and bounds since his early books. The Stormlight Archive books dwarf elantris and Mistborn. If you haven't ready stormlight, read stormlight, then do yourself a favor and go back and read Shadows of Self and bands of Mourning (books 2-3 of the new Mistborn books) He does a lot better job of writing the characters after he took a few years away from them in my opinion. Even if you don't go back and read those books, read Stormlight, it dwarfs anything else I've ever read.

He grew significantly as a writer while working on Wheel of Time. You can see a noticeable difference between the Mistborn/Elantris books and Way of Kings.

8. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Wow, I've never seen a book with as many and as high of ratings as Way of Kings on goodreads. 4.64 is insane on that site.

Wow, I've never seen a book with as many and as high of ratings as Way of Kings on goodreads. 4.64 is insane on that site.
    I'm telling you, it's good man. The closest I've ever come to it before was reading The Wheel of Time. Sanderson has the same ability Jordan does to create a very immersive world with very deep, sometimes damaged and realistic characters.. I personally liked his other books I've read (mistborn, the two elantris novels and Warbreaker) but Way of Kings is miles ahead of those.

I hope he doesn't suffer from the same problem Jordan had with Wheel of Time (It got very dull in books 5 and 6 before finally picking back up in book 7) but so far through the first 3 books, it has been some of the most entertaining reading I've had. I've read the first two books (Way of Kings and Words of Radiance) three times now, I haven't started a re-read of Oathbringer, but I'll probably wait a year or two until we get closer to the release of book 4 (whenever that is) It is addictive man and everytime I re-read through the books, I catch new things I missed the first time or I find hints in the earlier books that were vague at the time that suddenly make since once you have the rest of the story in the next book.

11. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Funny thing is, there is a post on the official forums that is basically 200+ posts of me and one other poster discussing Sanderson's books and books that we are reading that are like Sanderson.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Funny thing is, there is a post on the official forums that is basically 200+ posts of me and one other poster discussing Sanderson's books and books that we are reading that are like Sanderson.
    Have you read the Locke Lamora and Joe Abercrombie books?

Have you read the Locke Lamora and Joe Abercrombie books?
    I started reading the first law trillogy, but got sidetracked by Michael Lawrences Prince of Thorns and the sister series he wrote, then Patrick Rothfus (FINISH THE NEXT BOOK YOU BASTURD!!!) and then got sucked back into Sanderson. I have this habit of reading a lot of Sanderson, then taking a break and finishing like 4-5 series before I get sucked back into a re-read. Last break before reading Lawrence and Rothfus, I finished Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. Never heard of Locke Lamora.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I started reading the first law trillogy, but got sidetracked by Michael Lawrences Prince of Thorns and the sister series he wrote, then Patrick Rothfus (FINISH THE NEXT BOOK YOU BASTURD!!!) and then got sucked back into Sanderson. I have this habit of reading a lot of Sanderson, then taking a break and finishing like 4-5 series before I get sucked back into a re-read. Last break before reading Lawrence and Rothfus, I finished Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. Never heard of Locke Lamora.
    The Sword of Truth books are laborious. I've never gotten through the second one.

I'm 3/4 of the way through Rothfus' first one (there's two, correct?), and I love it. I might have to check out these others.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    The Sword of Truth books are laborious. I've never gotten through the second one.

I'm 3/4 of the way through Rothfus' first one (there's two, correct?), and I love it. I might have to check out these others.
    Sword of Truth I did via Audiobook, that could be why it was less work for me to read. If you like Rothfus, you may enjoy Mark Lawrence's books. There are two Rothfus books. Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear. There is also The Slow Regard of Silent Things which is a short little Novella set in the same world.

Another I would highly recommend is Brent Weeks. His Night Angel books were excellent and his second set of books (the Light Bringer series) is very good, but he's taking for-freaking-ever to finish the last book in the series and the way he's handled his last several books, he'll probably nearly finish book five and decide, nevermind, I'm making a 6th book, this isn't the last book anymore.

17. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

I just thought of the other author I've read recently and enjoyed. I read Michael J Sullivan's Theft of Sword and Rise of Empire. He's got several more books I can go finish eventually as well.

So basically, long story short, I have a rather long reading list in front of me...It just took me talking about it to remember where I left off.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

The Lamora trilogy--I actually only read the first book, but it was fun. Not as good as Abercrombie's books, but then again Abercrombie might not be your cup of tea.

I grew weary of Goodkind's series after 3-4 books.

I've never read Lackey nor Modesitt but have some on my shelf from the used bookstore. Are they any good?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information