Page 85 of 128 FirstFirst ... 35 75 83 84 85 86 87 95 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 1912

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Finished The Stand. It was decent. I like Cronin's, McCammon's, and McCarthy's versions better...even Heller's Dog Stars. But it was worth the time and a book that lands square in my wheelhouse.

Rereading It and Swan Song now. Then going to finally dig into The Dark Forest by Cixin Liu. I'm excited about the Liu book but it's going to take some energy to really meet it.
    I really want to read some King books. I never knew that his stories are all interconnected. I started watching 11-23-63 the other day, didn't realize that was a King novel as well.

Might move onto his works once I finish re-reading Sanderson's Stormlight books (reading Words of Radiance right now) Only problem with that though is Oathbringer comes out soon though I'll probably tear through that rather quickly.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I'm 2/3 through King's It. If pressed, I'd claim it as my favorite novel of all time. It or Of Human Bondage. But I was 12 when I read .. it.

2d time through, I'm surprised by how much of the old magic is there. I really like this book. It works on all the levels. It might be the only consistently and genuinely disturbing/scary novel I've read. He out-Lovecrafts Lovecraft.

So many good miniatures within this opus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

I just finished Theft of Swords by Michael J Sullivan, now reading part two of this series Rise of Empire while I wait for Sanderson's Oathbringer to drop next week.

I'm 2/3 through King's It. If pressed, I'd claim it as my favorite novel of all time. It or Of Human Bondage. But I was 12 when I read .. it.

2d time through, I'm surprised by how much of the old magic is there. I really like this book. It works on all the levels. It might be the only consistently and genuinely disturbing/scary novel I've read. He out-Lovecrafts Lovecraft.

I've never read it, nor have I watched the movie. I should really give it a shot and the from there move over to The Dark Tower series.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I finished It...

What a wonderful experience, reading it at age 12--the same age as the kids--and again at age 42--roughly same age as the kids when they revisit Derry as adults.

I was surprised by how much this book did it for me on the second pass. As an aspiring horror novelist in the mode of Lovecraft this work inspires me. He hits the right notes, and many of his psychological ideas resonate so precisely with mine it's uncanny. I expect some of this is due to how much he influenced me in my youth. I was an avid reader of King then.

I would so welcome a book club discussion of It. It's borderline literature, and definitely the best exemplar of pure psychological/supernatural horror in the genre. And just a damned good book.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

I finished It...

What a wonderful experience, reading it at age 12--the same age as the kids--and again at age 42--roughly same age as the kids when they revisit Derry as adults.

I was surprised by how much this book did it for me on the second pass. As an aspiring horror novelist in the mode of Lovecraft this work inspires me. He hits the right notes, and many of his psychological ideas resonate so precisely with mine it's uncanny. I expect some of this is due to how much he influenced me in my youth. I was an avid reader of King then.

I would so welcome a book club discussion of It. It's borderline literature, and definitely the best exemplar of pure psychological/supernatural horror in the genre. And just a damned good book.
    I'll need to check it out eventually (though I've gotta finish the Michael J Sullivan books that I was working on and of course Oathbringer. It'll probably be next in line after that. I've always enjoyed works based on Lovecraft (though have never delved too much into Lovecraft himself) so I'm sure I will enjoy It too.

Check out “Heart Shaped Box” by Joe Hill. It’s Stephen King’s son and it’s pretty good.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

8. The Following User High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by spikerman View Post
    Check out “Heart Shaped Box” by Joe Hill. It’s Stephen King’s son and it’s pretty good.
    I read NOS4A2 by Hill, it was 3.5/5 type stuff. I've heard heart-shaped is also decent. What I really like from Hill is the Locke & Key graphic novel / comic book series. That ish is straight quality.

You read NOS4A2?

10. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

I read NOS4A2 by Hill, it was 3.5/5 type stuff. I've heard heart-shaped is also decent. What I really like from Hill is the Locke & Key graphic novel / comic book series. That ish is straight quality.

You read NOS4A2?
    Yep, I read it. It was good, but I liked Heart Shaped Box better. I also read Horns and The Fireman.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

12. The Following User High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Yep, I read it. It was good, but I liked Heart Shaped Box better. I also read Horns and The Fireman.
    Hill is a chip off the 'ol block, no question. You grow up on King like me?

14. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Hill is a chip off the 'ol block, no question. You grow up on King like me?
    Yep, I’ve read a ton of his stuff. I love the short stories like the ones in Skeleton Crew. I also thought Duma Key was really underrated.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Yep, I’ve read a ton of his stuff. I love the short stories like the ones in Skeleton Crew. I also thought Duma Key was really underrated.
    I was going to say, Night Shift and Skeleton Crew were among my absolute favorites. His mastery of the miniature / short story is impressive.

17. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

I was going to say, Night Shift and Skeleton Crew were among my absolute favorites. His mastery of the miniature / short story is impressive.
    Exactly. What about Four Past Midnight? The Langoliers was awesome!

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Exactly. What about Four Past Midnight? The Langoliers was awesome!
    Yes! I liked those so much better than some of his more widely acclaimed works. Was Rita Hayworth a Different Seasons novella? I think it was.

It's weird, but re-reading It makes me think that King is underrated, but I know he's a rock star.

20. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Yes! I liked those so much better than some of his more widely acclaimed works. Was Rita Hayworth a Different Seasons novella? I think it was.

It's weird, but re-reading It makes me think that King is underrated, but I know he's a rock star.
    I can’t remember if it was in Different Seasons. That was Shawshank, right?

22. The Following User High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information