Page 75 of 128 FirstFirst ... 25 65 73 74 75 76 77 85 125 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 1912

Thread: What are you reading?

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Just finished Ty Cobb, A Terrible Beauty by Charles Leerhsen. I'd recommend it to any of you who follow sport, enjoy a good yarn, and have an abiding preference for truth in spite of what everyone else thinks. That Copernican motif of "no, the earth isn't actually the center of the universe" is present here as Leerhsen methodically shreds the myth of Cobb as racist murderer.

I would have preferred the author make a more data-driven approach to justifying Cobb's status as the greatest player to play the game. What I mean is less reliance on batting average and RBIs, and more use of sabermetric measures. Although batting average conveys much of Cobb's production, it doesn't do him enough justice. Sometimes such a book could get bogged down in numbers and math, and alienate a broader readership. Perhaps, but most baseball nonfiction readers tend to be amenable to the discussion of "advanced" metrics, if not outright proponents.

That grievance is small beans, though, in the bigger picture of the quality of the author's research and presentation of it. Great stories, vivid pictures, and hell, I finished it quickly. I wasn't all that aware of the myth of Cobb as devil before this book, and vindicating Cobb's legacy wasn't big on my list of crusades prior to this book, but now I am eager for the next time the discussion about greatest ever ballplayer comes my way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

2. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I really need to find a new book to read... And no...I probably won't read Atlas Shrugged... My two favorite writers are between books (Brandon Sanderson and Brent Weeks)
    You have read the Abercrombie and Rothfuss books?
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

4. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    You have read the Abercrombie and Rothfuss books?
    Never heard of them. I started reading the Broken Empire trilogy by Mark Lawrence yesterday. Might have to check them out next. My biggest problem is finding new things that interest me lately... I end up just re-reading crap I've already read.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Never heard of them. I started reading the Broken Empire trilogy by Mark Lawrence yesterday. Might have to check them out next. My biggest problem is finding new things that interest me lately... I end up just re-reading crap I've already read.
    What genre do you like?

7. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    What genre do you like?
    My favorite things to read are Sci-Fi/Fantasy. My favorite authors are Brandon Sanders, Brent Weeks, Terry Goodkind, Tolkien, Orsen Scott Card, Phillip K Dick and Douglas Adams to name a few.

Favorite book series so far would be the Eragon books, Narinia books, Lord of the Rings/Hobbit. Night Angel series, LightBringer series (both by weeks) Sword of Truth (Goodkind) Mistborn books, Stormlight books, Elantris, (basically anything and everything Sanderson related) Pathfinder series and Ender books (Orsen Scott Card) Hitchhiker's guide books. All of the Star Wars books.

Basically nerdy books...
    Last edited by Freyaka; 01-14-2017 at 02:17 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Sanderson you mean?

10. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

If so, Name of the Wind by Rothfuss needs to be your next book. Trust me.

12. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Sanderson you mean?
    Yea, my phone can be dumb sometimes...

I pretty much love all things Brandon Sanderson, he's one of the best writers I've ever read (Him and Robert Jordan who I somehow neglected to mention above)

Awesome! I'll check that out right after I finish the Broken Empire books (or if I finally decide I don't like them and move on) Thanks for the input Hawg!

15. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

A lot of the reviews I'm reading compare it to a condensed wheel of time (which is another series I loved) so I'm guessing it probably is right up my alley!

I got it loaded up on my tablet just now so we'll see what I think of it. I'll probably just start it today, I'm not interested in football and it seems like a good day to curl up in bed and read. If we lose power like I'm afraid we will, I might have it finished by tomorrow I've got the broken empire series on the phone, but i'm leaving the phone powered off for emergencies.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Just finished Ty Cobb, A Terrible Beauty by Charles Leerhsen. I'd recommend it to any of you who follow sport, enjoy a good yarn, and have an abiding preference for truth in spite of what everyone else thinks. That Copernican motif of "no, the earth isn't actually the center of the universe" is present here as Leerhsen methodically shreds the myth of Cobb as racist murderer.

I would have preferred the author make a more data-driven approach to justifying Cobb's status as the greatest player to play the game. What I mean is less reliance on batting average and RBIs, and more use of sabermetric measures. Although batting average conveys much of Cobb's production, it doesn't do him enough justice. Sometimes such a book could get bogged down in numbers and math, and alienate a broader readership. Perhaps, but most baseball nonfiction readers tend to be amenable to the discussion of "advanced" metrics, if not outright proponents.

That grievance is small beans, though, in the bigger picture of the quality of the author's research and presentation of it. Great stories, vivid pictures, and hell, I finished it quickly. I wasn't all that aware of the myth of Cobb as devil before this book, and vindicating Cobb's legacy wasn't big on my list of crusades prior to this book, but now I am eager for the next time the discussion about greatest ever ballplayer comes my way.
    Nice. I'm 40 pages through Dog Stars. I really like it so far. I absolutely see why a McCarthy fan would enjoy it. I'll give my full thoughts once I'm done.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

I'm midway through it, seems interesting. Not sure what I think of it being a story within a story so far, but it's good.

I'm midway through it, seems interesting. Not sure what I think of it being a story within a story so far, but it's good.
    To add to this, I'm part way through his time at the unversity and I'm really starting to enjoy this book a lot

21. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Sammy Winder

The Best of H.P Lovecraft.

He's my favourite author.

23. The Following User High Fived EastCoastBronco For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information