Page 4 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Some cookbook.

Finished read one of my Christmas presents last week, “Michael Palin Diaries 1969-1979, The Python years.” If you like Monty Python it’s a great read. It is very reviling.

I didn’t have another new book to start on when I finished it, so I’m rereading Dune by Frank Herbert. It has been 8 or 10 years since I read it last. I had forgotten how engaging it is.

3. The Following User High Fived Hobe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe View Post
    Finished read one of my Christmas presents last week, “Michael Palin Diaries 1969-1979, The Python years.” If you like Monty Python it’s a great read. It is very reviling.

I didn’t have another new book to start on when I finished it, so I’m rereading Dune by Frank Herbert. It has been 8 or 10 years since I read it last. I had forgotten how engaging it is.

dune = one of the greatest things ever written

sheer sci fi genius. . . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

5. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    dune = one of the greatest things ever written

sheer sci fi genius. . . .
    No argument here!

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

roots by alex haley

this is an incredible book-- i can't imagine the research that must have gone into it. . . truly epic in scope, and exceptionally well written. . . heartbreaking in places, but it's also a tale of perserverance and a tribute to the strength of the human spirit. . . highly recommended reading!
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

I just started the Shining. I was looking for Pet Cemetary, but the library didn't have it in. I was lazy on Sunday, so rather than look for a new book, I grabbed an old favorite.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

At the moment I'm not reading anything except the forum (and wotmania, of course... ) but I just got back from Half Price Books and apparently Fred Saberhagen has been rather busy, so I've got s'more fantasy for the weekend. Still no luck finding a used hardback of The Eye of the World though; I think I'm going to have to break down and buy it new, which I really don't want to do, but I've ALMOST got the whole series in hardback, and as tomey as Jordan is buying paperbacks is just asking for trouble. With the appendix The Fires of Heaven is just over 1000 pages, and the same is true of Lord of Chaos; buy books like that in paperback and it's just a matter of time till you start shedding pages like a dog losing his winter coat.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rick Upchurch

Crapload of books about Iraq and the Middle East.
    How's your burger, bro? - Ancient proverb

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

Cell - Stephen King - Only 125 pgs in but so far its good - its old school SK - im liking it
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    More Americans have been killed by New England Patriots players than by Ebola.

Read Merlin's Bones by Fred Saberhagen over the weekend. Not bad, though the Swords Trilogy will probably always be his best work (MUST be read in conjunction with Empire of the East, or it just raises too many questions that receive no answer). But I learned a new word out of it, and I can't remember the last time that happened.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Quote Originally Posted by Morambar in TX View Post
    At the moment I'm not reading anything except the forum (and wotmania, of course... ) but I just got back from Half Price Books and apparently Fred Saberhagen has been rather busy, so I've got s'more fantasy for the weekend. Still no luck finding a used hardback of The Eye of the World though; I think I'm going to have to break down and buy it new, which I really don't want to do, but I've ALMOST got the whole series in hardback, and as tomey as Jordan is buying paperbacks is just asking for trouble. With the appendix The Fires of Heaven is just over 1000 pages, and the same is true of Lord of Chaos; buy books like that in paperback and it's just a matter of time till you start shedding pages like a dog losing his winter coat.
    Have you looked on Ebay? They usually have a decent amount of Jordan books for sale.

I am re-reading that series as well. Just started the Great Hunt. Hopefully by the time I finish the series Sanderson will be close to finished with the last book.

i don't read books, but once i get paid, i plan to buy 3;

'the alphabet of manliness' by maddox
    'a-holes finish first' by tucker max
    and
    'men are better than women' by dick masterson
    I don't know much about anything. In fact, I am one of the dumbest people alive.

Quote Originally Posted by orangenblue420 View Post
    Cell - Stephen King - Only 125 pgs in but so far its good - its old school SK - im liking it
    That is an awesome book!!

17. The Following User High Fived GEM For This Post:

I'm reading a couple.

Everything's Eventual- collection of short stories by Stephen King- Good so far, first story is a bit weird. Man is dead, but has thoughts during his autopsy. Strange, but interesting enough to keep me going. Stephen King is a hit or miss for me, some of his books absolutely rivet me, others I can't get into and give up on.

I haven't started the other one. Can't even remember the name.

If anyone else knows of some authors that write John Grisham type books, please let me know. I get bored waiting on him to come out with new ones, but I can usually finish those type books in a couple days.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    Everything's Eventual- collection of short stories by Stephen King- Good so far, first story is a bit weird. Man is dead, but has thoughts during his autopsy. Strange, but interesting enough to keep me going. Stephen King is a hit or miss for me, some of his books absolutely rivet me, others I can't get into and give up on.
    That story is kind of creepy. I remember reading that. I think it's the only story I've read in Everything's Eventual, but I do own it.

I'm reading Boys of Summer by Roger Kahn. About his experiences as a child and then covering the Brooklyn Dodgers in the 50s. He's a little wordy in the beginning, but I think it's going to be a good book.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information