Page 3 of 128 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Adopted Bronco:
    Sammy Winder

Quote Originally Posted by orangenblue420 View Post
    I was gonna post but you guys are into heavy reading - damn - i just like thrillers and killers

Im working my way through the Alex Cross series by James Patterson

and just started Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly

I like to read to escape from things - so im not into the heavy reading -

I dont do romance novels - ick

I love Stephen Colbert though and may try and grab a copy of that book SR read -
    Hook into the "Repairman Jack" series by F. Paul Wilson. I guarantee you'll love em'...
    "Chickens are dope..." - Von Miller

Adopted Bronco:
    Rick Upchurch

The Last Chance Millionaire (It's Not Too Late to Become Wealthy) - Douglas R. Andrew.

I bought it for my dad but took it with me to college. I think I'll have ended up spending more on the book than making money off its ideas.
    How's your burger, bro? - Ancient proverb

Adopted Bronco:
    Sammy Winder

Into the Wild by Jon Krakuaer.
    Interesting read about a kid with lots of ideals but not much in the common sense department.
    I'm interested in seeing the movie just to see how Sean Penn interpreted it.
    "Chickens are dope..." - Von Miller

Adopted Bronco:
    Peyton Hillis...always

I am still working on "Hard Corps." It is very good, but I just haven't had enough time to really get quiet and read. I am working on Advanced Medical Terminology and it is kicking my ass right now!
    "When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free"
    ~Charles Evans Hughes~

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

just finished reading escape by carolyn jessop (it was an "as told to," can't remember the name of the actual author off the top of my head). . . i generally don't read that much non-fiction (more into sci fi and some literature), but this made me think maybe i should read more, as i really enjoyed it. . . it's the story of a former plural wife who fled the FLDS (fundamentalist branch of the mormon church). . .

it definitely reminded me of the old saying "truth is stranger than fiction"-- pretty incredible story, almost hard to believe that people live that way in this country. . . i've poked around a bit online, and haven't found any refutations, so i'm assuming that the story is true. . .

the narrative style wasn't particularly gripping, but maybe i'm just used to fiction. . . it was plain and straight-forward, and it took me a while to get into it, but once i did i was captivated. . . certainly no literary masterpiece, but i found the story itself to be more than sufficient to hold my interest. . .

she was married around the age of eighteen-- on two days notice, to a man who was fifty-three, and already had four or five other wives, and over a dozen kids. . . the marriage was ordered by the FLDS "prophet" , and her parents essentially held her captive until the ceremony was performed. . . i won't recite the details, in case anyone is interested in reading it, but it's an incredibly fascinating look into a VERY strange little cult. . . i was astonished at how effectively the members were insulated from normal society. . . some serious religious brainwashing going on. . . .

well worth reading-- highly recommended!
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

6. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by sneakers View Post

I am reading Sunshine by Robin Mckinley
    Actually a pretty good vampire novel, but it is more so a romance/fantasy novel than horror. I have about 20 or so pages left to go. I would have to give it a solid "B".

worth reading?

i've read the hero and the crown, which was a very solid piece of fantasy, and i've got the blue sword sitting on my shelf. . . .

i LOVE vampire novels, if you recommend it i might check it out some time. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by orangenblue420 View Post
    I was gonna post but you guys are into heavy reading - damn - i just like thrillers and killers

Im working my way through the Alex Cross series by James Patterson

and just started Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly

I like to read to escape from things - so im not into the heavy reading -

I dont do romance novels - ick

I love Stephen Colbert though and may try and grab a copy of that book SR read -
    OB, have you ever read anything by mario puzo? he's the guy who wrote the godfather. . . if you like those types of books, you might enjoy his stuff. . . the sicillian is an excellent "action" novel-- it's a story about a geurilla who takes on the mafia-- very fast-paced and entertaining, and it has some good, cynical undertones about the limitations of heroism. . . puzo is a great storyteller-- his books are definite page-turners. . . .
    - John Elway

Just got done reading Playing for Pizza by John Grisham- short story about football in Italy. Pretty good.

Almost finished with A Time to Kill by Grisham. I had read it before about 10 years ago, but love the book.

Prior to that I read the Painted House by Grisham. I loved that one.

The book before that was The Cell by Stephen King. I loved that as well.

I need to go buy some more books. My daughter was amazed that I bought A Time to Kill on Friday and by Sunday I was at pg 375 out of 500. Told her....Honey, if you find really good books, you can't put them down.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

I love reading Grisham. The movies from his earlier books were excellent too.

Dean Koonz is my and the wife's favorite. We've read every single one. Love the Alex Cross series too. Robin Cook and John Saul are others I read all the time.

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I love reading Grisham. The movies from his earlier books were excellent too.

Dean Koonz is my and the wife's favorite. We've read every single one. Love the Alex Cross series too. Robin Cook and John Saul are others I read all the time.
    I think its time to give your wife away - many of the guys here want her

I need a man like you Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    More Americans have been killed by New England Patriots players than by Ebola.

14. The Following User High Fived OB For This Post:

I am currently reareading

"Fiasco: The American Military Adventure In Iraq"

Quote Originally Posted by NameUsedBefore View Post
    The Bible, a math book, Aristotle, Socrates, Plato, Tolstoy, Freud, Nietzsche, Kierkegaard.

Finals ftw.
    That's a rather interesting group, IMHO; I think you might be a little shocked if you can find a way to work Philo in between the Bible and Aristotle (fun speculations: Did Philo write about Platos Logos AND the Messiah being one in the same in "the Word Made Flesh" before or after Jesus' earthly ministry? Is it possible the great philosopher met the Son of God on his Jerusalem visit late in life?) And I've been to enough Alpha courses to know the significance of Tolstoy beyond strictly literary circles. I COULD do without Freud, Nietzsche and Plato (why read Plato when I can get the superior product from Aristotle...?) but I don't imagine your profs care what I think. ;-p

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

I have developed a strange hobby in the last few months....theoretical physics

And right now I am reading: Time: A Traveler's Guide

The author does one of the better jobs I have seen of explaining the special and general theories of relativity. However the book is totally nerdy, just the way I like it. Plus you can amaze your friends (or at least entertain yourself) with some of the theories.
    Last edited by sneakers; 03-24-2008 at 02:45 AM.

Right now I'm reading "The Princess Bride"... got a little sidetracked from that one, but it is excellent. Every bit as good as the movie, and if you like the movie, I'd highly recommend the book.

Also picked up "Wicked" the other day. I'm totally wrapped up. Couldn't put it down yesterday.

Unfortunately, won't have much time for it today, as I'll be reading "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight" for a class, although that could be interesting too.

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived Nurse Red For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Red View Post
    Right now I'm reading "The Princess Bride"... got a little sidetracked from that one, but it is excellent. Every bit as good as the movie, and if you like the movie, I'd highly recommend the book.

Also picked up "Wicked" the other day. I'm totally wrapped up. Couldn't put it down yesterday.

Unfortunately, won't have much time for it today, as I'll be reading "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight" for a class, although that could be interesting too.
    Huh, aren't you s'posed to be readin' somethin' else, too...? ;-p

Which Sir Gawain are you reading, if you don't mind my asking? We did it in HS Senior English and I was surprised and pleased to discover we used Professor Tolkiens translation. Just another of the countless ways he's different from all the hacks....

And yes, Morgenstern still rocks; so much more there in the book, we get all the back story on Fezzik and Inigo. And learn how to boo multilingually (useful if we have an exhibition game against the Faders overseas.... ;-p )

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information