Page 112 of 128 FirstFirst ... 12 62 102 110 111 112 113 114 122 ... LastLast
Results 1,666 to 1,680 of 1912

Thread: What are you reading?

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Whew. Glad I'm not wasting time on bunk science.

Really though, what I am reading is new to me. And I think I know things! It feels like the lack of intrinsic motivation is a major factor contributing to societal well-being (or malaise), and the systems of education and even parenting are too entrenched in the pragmatism of extrinsic rewards. It feels like we have a lot of room to improve how we cultivate (actually, how we don't impede) intrinsic motivation.
    Yeah agreed.

We want them, to want to succeed. For them.

This is why having positive role models to look up to and be inspired by is so key

2. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    And I think I know things! .
    Lol, you do. You drink and you know things.

4. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    Lol, you do. You drink and you know things.
    Not quite like MO tho. I can't duplicate that man's stature in this regard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

6. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I have to apologize for geeking out on this book, but I just encountered a snippet I had to share.

The author shares a study in which two groups were asked to study a stack of index cards with vocab words on them. Each card had a different color, but this was irrelevant to what would be tested. One group would get a reward for how well they did on the test, the other group was offered no reward. The interesting find was that the 'no-reward' group did much better on being able to recall card color--something termed 'incidental learning'.

It reminded me of something I did in high school. I was motivated to be a scientist and wanted to plumb the mysteries of the universe, by my high school didn't have any higher level courses. I was a teacher's aide to our science teacher, and during this period I would often just read an old college chemistry book. I couldn't make much sense of it, and I was just kind of staring at it in bewilderment for the most part, trying to make sense of it. I'd had high-school chemistry but this stuff was truly bizarre. Every now and then I'd make some sense of it, but for the most part I felt like it was way over my head. I wasn't very systematic about it, either. I'd just find something that looked interesting. I didn't set myself to solving a bunch of chemistry questions, either, but sometimes you had to do a little math to understand what they were getting at in the text.

Ok, point being, when I got accepted to the Academy they gave us all entrance exams for placement, and one of those was in chemistry. Surprisingly, I scored the highest out of every single person there, and validated both semesters of my college chemistry requirement. I couldn't believe it, it came as a bit of a shock. When I look back at it now, the intrinsic motivation to just understand a mystery resulted in one of the best 'classes' I'd ever taken.

It makes me a bit sick at our education system now that I think about it.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

8. The Following 4 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Research would suggest that never giving praise would create one of two extremes, either they would always seek approval and never feel good enough and they will be needy af, or never try because they don't think they are good enough and they will be cold and aloof. So I wouldn't recommend it lol
    Forgive my ignorance, but would over-praising/always praising lead to similar extremes?

10. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but would over-praising/always praising lead to similar extremes?
    yeah - totally. Most likely extremes would be:

Entitled asshat
    Crumbles at the first point of failure

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

yeah - totally. Most likely extremes would be:

Entitled asshat
    Crumbles at the first point of failure
    Both would stem from a lack of self-confidence in oneself correct? Their confidence relied on that praise rather than something they built up themselves, right?

Which is similar, in that both over-praising, and under-praising lead to a lack of self-worth.

Am I on the right track there?

13. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    Both would stem from a lack of self-confidence in oneself correct? Their confidence relied on that praise rather than something they built up themselves, right?

Which is similar, in that both over-praising, and under-praising lead to a lack of self-worth.

Am I on the right track there?
    Yeah, at least that's how I see it.

Kids need to also learn to trust their own internal feelings and not rely on external validation.

15. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

I am now a third of the way through Lonesome Gods by Louis L'Amour

This is the second of his books i have read thanks to a recommendation by Hawg.

It is just glorious.

Think i might buy a bottle of bulleit rye this weekend, and possibly destroy a few fingers worth whilst reading some wonderful prose about the west

17. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

I have a 3.5 hour drive tomorrow - would like to download an audio book to listen to... Any great non-fiction recommendations?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I have a 3.5 hour drive tomorrow - would like to download an audio book to listen to... Any great non-fiction recommendations?
    Not an audio book, but have you tried Hardcore History pod?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Not an audio book, but have you tried Hardcore History pod?
    Couldn't get into it - might give it another try.

21. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

The Gift of Fear by Gavin De Becker

The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall

23. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Done with podcasts? Have you listened to all the Sword and Scale ones?

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Endurance by Lansing
    Making of the A-bomb by Rhodes

26. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information