Page 103 of 128 FirstFirst ... 3 53 93 101 102 103 104 105 113 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 1912

Thread: What are you reading?

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    Surely King's enemy isn't reason.

Most quick criticisms of Peterson have completely taken him out of context (which is easy to do with a guy who explores every nook and cranny of an issue) and turned him into something unrecognizable.

Valid criticisms basically boil down to, "he's just saying things other, smarter people already said hundreds of years ago." Which is true.
    Ok, I am confused. Why did people dislike him?

2. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    Ok, I am confused. Why did people dislike him?
    Quick answer: For lack of a better phrase, because he "thinks out loud", and will entertain and reject all kinds of notions as he works toward a solution/answer to a problem. Someone who does that opens themselves up to being taken out of context.

He also rejects vociferously the idea of "safe spaces" and all manner of groupthink.

Consequently, he doesn't have many allies in mainstream University campuses.

Maybe King87 can give a concrete example if he wants.

4. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

King87 is unable to provide any examples without crossing into P and R territory. He does think out loud, and that is a killer sometimes, which is unfortunate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    King87 is unable to provide any examples without crossing into P and R territory. He does think out loud, and that is a killer sometimes, which is unfortunate.
    Provocative is probably a good word for him.

I tend to like provocative guys/gals whatever side of whatever spectrum.

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Law school has changed me a bit. Peterson is a modern philosopher, and I guess that's good. We need more prominent thinkers in the mainstream media.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I had never read The Old Man And The Sea.

I fixed that in one sitting this evening. Brilliant.
    It’s probably been 35 years since I read that book, and I can still remember being captured by it.

12. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    It’s probably been 35 years since I read that book, and I can still remember being captured by it.
    Well, if a book captures you, you'd be a crappy whale for an old man to fish for. Or was that Moby Dick? Whatever. Water's water my man!

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Read John Rawls and just become ten times smarter, because that's the best philosophy that's realistic and grounded in reality.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Couldn’t put it down. Only took about 1:45 to read or so. I’m sure there are professors out there who’ve tried to bog it down with metaphor and other deeper meanings, but I’m guessing that Hemingway meant it just to be what it is, and that’s why I love his writing. Sometimes there aren’t deep meanings, allegories and metaphors. Sometimes shit just is.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

17. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

I know who peterson is, i have read some of his work and heard some of his youtube stuff.

i like him, i like his intelligence, but i disagree with about half of what he is famous for saying

i really enjoyed his second book, so much so, i might read maps of meaning

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Old Man and the Sea is my favorite fiction.

"Hemingway said that only the tip of the iceberg showed in fiction—your reader will see only what is above the water—but the knowledge that you have about your character that never makes it into the story acts as the bulk of the iceberg. And that is what gives your story weight and gravitas." — Jenna Blum in The Author at Work, 2013

20. The Following 4 Users High Fived aberdien For This Post:

I know who peterson is, i have read some of his work and heard some of his youtube stuff.

i like him, i like his intelligence, but i disagree with about half of what he is famous for saying

i really enjoyed his second book, so much so, i might read maps of meaning
    Here's a hot take - fifty years ago he would have struggled to, if he went the route of philosopher, struggled just to get published at all.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Here's a hot take - fifty years ago he would have struggled to, if he went the route of philosopher, struggled just to get published at all.
    well many of his ideas were kinda mainstream and "obvious" to the common man 50 years ago

23. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

well many of his ideas were kinda mainstream and "obvious" to the common man 50 years ago
    I was being subtle in saying that we're ******* stupid these days. This is after I said it bluntly. Why did I do this?

Because that's just what I do.

Break down that philosophy.

But read John Rawls, please.

Also, I need something to read. Fiction. Something to make me feel hopeful.

25. The Following 2 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information