Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A question I asked twice in another thread that wasn't answered.

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
    But your second and third example don't match. In one, McDaniels is beating his mentor in Bellichick. In the other Bellichick is beating his pupil in Mangini. That just proves the advantages cancel out since BB knows MCD and Mangini's tendencies, but they each know his as well.
    Wins aren't the only criteria. Mangini played close games with and beat Belichick on multiple occasions. Hell, one time even with Colt McCoy at quarterback. Like I said, there are just far too many variables. It is undeniably an advantage but how that advantage can be used varies from roster to roster and scheme to scheme. In the case of the Oakland Raiders and Dennis Allen, the talent gap was too big plus their offense was nothing to fear without Hugh calling the shots.

So no one seems to be worried about the slight advantage, if there even is one. So what's the big deal exactly?

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by dbfan2007 View Post
    So no one seems to be worried about the slight advantage, if there even is one. So what's the big deal exactly?
    My thoughts too. It seems like it would only be an issue if there was very little roster and coaching turnover, and if the talent level of each team was equal. I would say that is rarely the case when there are coaching changes.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by dbfan2007 View Post
    I don't think anyone said it was a big deal. The issue is the "if there is one" statement. There very clearly will be a nonzero advantage to be gained by McCoy. Impossible to quantify, but it's there.

6. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

I don't believe it will phase Peyton in the least. After 15 years, the whole league
    knows his tendencies. And none of them have stopped him yet. Why should McCoy?
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    I don't believe it will phase Peyton in the least. After 15 years, the whole league
    knows his tendencies. And none of them have stopped him yet. Why should McCoy?
    For the 1000th time in this thread, he is admittedly a different QB after his surgeries with specific limitations. And McCoy knows those intimately. The previous 14 years are not entirely representative of the guy he is now.

All McCoy knows is where Belacheat told McD where to hide all the cameras and bugs.

Before the Broncos get a new OC they need to hire some pro cleaners.
    Sweep the offices, locker rooms and all of Dove Valley.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    For the 1000th time in this thread, he is admittedly a different QB after his surgeries with specific limitations. And McCoy knows those intimately. The previous 14 years are not entirely representative of the guy he is now.
    And I still believe that with a sample size of 583 passes teams can get a pretty good idea on tape of what his physical limitations are.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
    And I still believe that with a sample size of 583 passes teams can get a pretty good idea on tape of what his physical limitations are.
    But wouldn't you agree there is slightly more value in hearing it straight from the horse's mouth? Takes out all the guess work.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

But wouldn't you agree there is slightly more value in hearing it straight from the horse's mouth? Takes out all the guess work.
    I guess it saves the Chargers the time of finding those things out in the film, but I think any team could find them out in the film.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I am sort of annoyed at this question, since it's mostly self evident. I think you have to come from a position of arrogance to assume it wouldn't affect us negatively. But since you and Coach and a few others seem adamant, I will give you my take.

First of all - Manning's body is unique after 4 surgeries. There are throws he can make, throws he can't and limitations that are specific to him... He certainly would have disclosed all of those weaknesses to McCoy throughout the year as they gameplanned. So that's the biggest thing - he knows Manning inside and out.

He also knows what Manning likes to do in almost all situations because they obviously discussed preferences, strengths/weaknesses as they gameplanned. e.g. Does Manning prefer comebacks on 3rd down with a certain set of variables that aren't evident on film? He knows the logic behind calling certain plays at certain times.

He also knows how we like to attack the current Chargers roster.

Plus - the offense is actually pretty simple - http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...denver-broncos - so it's not like a Shanahan style offense that completely changed from week to week. It's fairly static, and arguably easier to pick out nuances that would help a team defend against it.
    It's more than just knowing what Manning likes and doesn't like. McCoy is also going have pretty good idea what plays Manning likes different with different personnel groupings. If people think McCoy will be clueless on how Manning likes to attack to defense depending on the personnel are fooling themselves.

I doubt the McCoy hire will phase Manning at all. In fact I wouldnt doubt that Manning changes the wording on the plays and audibles. McCoy doesnt know defense and their DC will have no clue what play Manning is calling, nor will the guys on the field. The defense can see the formation yes but you still have to stop them.

I've seen high powered offenses call a play and you can see the defense in perfect form to stop that one play, yet the offense still executes the play. I give the credit more to the talent on the field and executing whatever play they want.

McCoy only got a year around Manning so it's not like he has this close personal relationship with Manning. I would go as far as to say McCoy learned more from Manning than Manning learned from McCoy. Mannings had a long NFL career and many teams know him yet they still cant stop him.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

This is the most confusing thread ever.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    This is the most confusing thread ever.
    BTB reminds me of Jodie Foster.

17. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

BTB reminds me of Jodie Foster.
    Like you want to hump him, but you aren't sure if he has holes.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information