Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Upon Further Review by Orton

Default Upon Further Review by Orton

By Zach Eisendrath
    DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Following Friday night's preseason opener, Kyle Orton stepped inside a Candlestick Park media room and gave reporters a quick assessment of his Broncos debut. He said he felt comfortable leading Denver's offense down the field, but admitted that he needed to correct a few poor decisions.

Three days later, Orton's self-examination hasn't changed much.

With the assistance of live-game footage, he had the opportunity to sit down with Josh McDaniels and offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Mike McCoy at Dove Valley this week and review his play.

After thoroughly evaluating the tape, Orton once again came away optimistic about how, for the most part, he and his offensive counterparts executed against the 49ers, saying his unit left the Bay Area with a lot of confidence. And while Orton certainly would like to have his three first-half interceptions back, he believes he will benefit from those miscues in the long run.

"I did a lot of good things and made three bad decisions," Orton said. Certainly it's something that I've got to correct, and do it quickly, but I haven't been a turnover-prone guy in my career and I'm not going to sit here and press about it."

Orton said he was most disappointed with his first error in judgment, an interception that came on the team's first offensive possession. After quickly and effectively leading the club downfield and deep into the red zone, he dropped back to pass on second-and-goal from the 3-yard line. Looking to connect with Daniel Graham in the end zone, Orton tried to fit the ball into a tight window and Nate Clements picked off the pass.

"I'm smarter than that to put the ball in jeopardy," Orton said. "That ball should've gone out of the back of the end zone, and we would've had a good chance on third down or kicked a field goal."

In total, Orton finished his Broncos debut 9-of-16; amassing 89 yards through the air for his efforts. While Orton had his share of critics following his first game as signal caller for the Broncos, Chris Simms wasn't one of them. In fact, the club's No. 2 quarterback was one of Orton's biggest advocates following the exhibition contest.

"Kyle didn't struggle," Simms said after the game. "I really don't think he did. I know he made some mistakes, but he moved the ball well in all his series. I think he'll tell you the same thing -- he just missed three throws that I see him make every day in practice. Kyle's a good player, I know he'll bounce back and he'll be ready to go next week."

Orton's bounce-back ability is already in full display at Dove Valley. On Sunday, at the team's first practice following the game, he worked diligently to correct his mistakes -- zeroing in on his miscues during a series of walkthroughs. On Monday morning, when the club returned to full pads, Orton looked sharp throughout 11-on-11s, drawing praise from fans after connecting on a pair of 40-plus yard bombs to Eddie Royal and Jabar Gaffney.

After starting 33 games in Chicago, Orton recognizes the high expectations that fans put on starting quarterbacks throughout the NFL. He isn't shying away from those expectations. Far from it. Instead, he is focused on improving each day.

"I understand they want us to be playing perfect right off the bat, and that's just how it is in this league," Orton said of the fans. "But I just try to stay on track, do my job and get better this week and play better on Saturday."

LEARNING AS THEY GO

Overall, McDaniels was pleased with how the team performed in a number of areas on Friday night. Specifically, the first-year head coach was satisfied that the club recorded only two negative run plays in 67 snaps.

But, like any detail-oriented coach, McDaniels' focal point this week will be in correcting the deficiencies he saw against San Francisco. One of those was on defense, where he thought his team gave up too many yards on second-and-long situations.

"There are pros and cons on both sides of the ball," McDaniels said.

"We are working diligently out here to try to fix the things that we feel, at this point, (are) things that we either struggled with or we made some mistakes on. All of the mistakes that we feel like we made on Friday night and in practice are fixable and correctable, and that's hopefully what we are targeting and trying to improve on."

McDaniels hasn't just been zeroing in on correcting his players' mistakes. He's also focused on fixing a few slip-ups the team's coaching staff experienced during their first game together as a unit.

"We had a couple delayed substitutions, which forced us to use a couple time outs," he said. "In the preseason, there are 80 guys on the sidelines, so you have got to be on top of that a little bit more because we have got a little bit more moving parts."

McDaniels is holding himself accountable, too. He is looking to improve upon his game-management skills as the exhibition season continues.

"I can learn something from every one of these preseason games," he said. "I learn something from every one of these practices and try to keep notes and do a better job each day that I am out here. Hopefully, I will do a better job in Seattle, and our team and our staff will perform the same way."

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.ph...4&storyID=9242

2. The Following 5 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Thats all great and all but in the end he still made the mistakes and thats worriesome. Hopefully he gets better.

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Thats all great and all but in the end he still made the mistakes and thats worrisome. Hopefully he gets better.
    need to listen/watch the video attach to the link..

it makes it more understandable..

I hope the mistakes get corrected and it is only 1 game into preseason after only 2 weeks into training camp and a few OTA's. The best part about reading this stuff is that you see a guy taking responsibility, he doesn't throw his TEAMMATES under the bus. When he talks about work needing to be done, he says the work HE has to do. It's refreshing.

7. The Following 7 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

talk is cheap. . . . he needs to play a LOT better, and he needs to get there fast. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

9. The Following 6 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Knowshon Moreno

Orton sucks.

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived honz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

I am praying that this first game was something else like maybe Orton's girlfriend left him or something.
    The bronco chemist.

13. The Following User High Fived LoyalSoldier For This Post:

i like football!
    the most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one will do....
    - T Jefferson

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Miller, Peyton's Neck

Quote Originally Posted by LoyalSoldier View Post
    I am praying that this first game was something else like maybe Orton's girlfriend left him or something.
    That gave me a good chuckle this morning!

Adopted Bronco:

Give the guy to at least mid season. I mean c'mon..the guy has a whole new playbook and system to learn. As does the rest of the offense! His first preseason game should not be used as a marker to judge him.

Now if he does not learn from his mistakes and carries them on and on and on....then we run him out of town on a rail....lol

But seriously...give him a few games into the regular season before passing too harsh of judgement.

17. The Following User High Fived Dirk For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by SWMoBroncosFan View Post
    Give the guy to at least mid season. I mean c'mon..the guy has a whole new playbook and system to learn. As does the rest of the offense! His first preseason game should not be used as a marker to judge him.

Now if he does not learn from his mistakes and carries them on and on and on....then we run him out of town on a rail....lol

But seriously...give him a few games into the regular season before passing too harsh of judgement.
    That is not allowed!!! When you are replacing Jesus Cutler...the most perfect QB ever...you are expected to be flawless IMMEDIATELY

19. The Following 4 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by SWMoBroncosFan View Post

Why should we? This whole Orton/Cutler pick trade thing isnt a normal blunder. It was a flat out retarded ordeal.

Unfortunatley Orton will get the majority of the negativity though but... McDaniels/Bowlen deserves to be heckled more because its their fault.

If it ends up working out in the end, I will swallow my pride, and buy merchandise. If it doesnt, they deserve all the criticisim, boos, etc... they get.

They rolled the dice.

Say what you want about Cutler being a bitch, but we still held his contract for a couple years.

21. The Following User High Fived claymore For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    That is not allowed!!! When you are replacing Jesus Cutler...the most perfect QB ever...you are expected to be flawless IMMEDIATELY
    But his arm. Its stronger than Elway's.
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

Nothing has change. He is still on the learning curve. The question is how high on the curve he will get by the beginning of the season and onward.

Still in the wait and see mode.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Why should we? This whole Orton/Cutler pick trade thing isnt a normal blunder. It was a flat out retarded ordeal.

Unfortunatley Orton will get the majority of the negativity though but... McDaniels/Bowlen deserves to be heckled more because its their fault.

If it ends up working out in the end, I will swallow my pride, and buy merchandise. If it doesnt, they deserve all the criticisim, boos, etc... they get.

They rolled the dice.

Say what you want about Cutler being a bitch, but we still held his contract for a couple years.
    I'm not saying that it wasn't the front office' fault. And not wanting to get into that whole debate again.

What I am saying is give Orton a chance to learn. If in fact he can and will do good...then better for all of us. Don't throw Orton under the bus just because we don't like what happened between the FO and Cutty. He is a Bronco for now.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information