Thread: Wouldn't it be easier to run on a 3-4 defense?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

Default Wouldn't it be easier to run on a 3-4 defense?

I always assumed it would be easier to run on a 3-4 defense because it is 5 offensive linemen against 3 defensive linemen.

Also in a 4-3, you have 4 big fat guys on the defensive line in front of 3 skinny line backers. But in the 3-4 you are taking away one of your fat guys for another skinny guy?

2. The Following User High Fived sneakers For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sneakers View Post
    I always assumed it would be easier to run on a 3-4 defense because it is 5 offensive linemen against 3 defensive linemen.

Also in a 4-3, you have 4 big fat guys on the defensive line in front of 3 skinny line backers. But in the 3-4 you are taking away one of your fat guys for another skinny guy?
    I think that's one of the reasons a good NT is so important. I good nost tackle needs to take on two run blockers and hold his ground. Also, the OLB's in a 3-4 are typically bigger, DE like ends, which is why we moved all of our small ends to OLB. In many cases, at least on of the OLB's is on the line, essentially acting like a 4th linemen.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

A good 3-4 is very difficult to run against. If those three defensive lineman can account for four offensive lineman, then your four linebackers only have one offensive lineman and a blocking back to shed before getting after the runner.

It also makes it difficult to rush outside, because the linebackers are a little more spread out.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Players in the 3-4 usually worry about their 'gap responsibilities'. Each player in the front 7 has a gap and they worry about their gap and their gap only. A 4-3 is more of a speed emphasized defense with less responsibilities and heavy emphasis on the DEs to bring pressure on the QB. LBs in the 3-4 are relied heavily upon to make plays/tackles. The NT, and 2 DE/DTs are the road graters. They are the ones that clog up the middle and don't allow the OLmen to get to the LBs that are scraping, filling holes and making plays.

7. The Following 4 Users High Fived West For This Post:

traditionally we always had problems running against 3-4 defenses..

if there is a good to great NT and a couple of big DE they pretty much detain the OLINE at or behind the LOS.. clogging up the middle and allowing the OLBs and safety to wrap up the running back..

For the most part you guys are all correct. In college I played in a 3-4 way back in the day and the 3-4 allows more matchup problems with blocking assignments and knowing who is actually doing what. Having more freedom in your linebackers movement pays dividends in both the run and the pass.

For the record this is far from the first time we have run a 3-4 defense! remember Kragen? Might have been the most underrated NT ever!

10. The Following User High Fived Bronco Warrior For This Post:

IMO... 3-4 or 4-3 I don't know which is better against the run...

But what I know is that it's always hard to run against GOOD defense... That's all...
    Froggy's back !

seems like this question is now MOOT..

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information