Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Looking Towards Another Elway Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Dzone View Post
    How many picks do we have in 2013? Any extras?
    The Broncos are missing thier 5th from the Bunkley trade. Every other pick is in tact with no extras.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    The Broncos are missing thier 5th from the Bunkley trade. Every other pick is in tact with no extras.
    Bunkley probably wishes he was going to the Super Bowl with the Broncos

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Positions of need:
    - MLB (starter is OLD, backup isn't good enough)
    - C/G (see: MLB)

Positions I'd like better players or depth at:
    - TE
    - S
    - CB
    - RB
    - DL
    - OL
    - slot WR (or if we move Decker inside, then outside WR)

I'm assuming we don't need a LT because we're not gonna let Clady get outta here.

Honestly, I'm angry with T'eo for having such a good year. He's perfect for us. Ah well.

I agree with some of the other statements made about character as a draft quality we look at. Personally, right now I have Sheldon Richardson as a likely DT candidate myself in the first round, but he has off-the-field issues (yelling at teammates after a loss, suspended for violating team rules) that would likely make the FO pass on him. Ditto Ogletree, MLB from Georgia. So I'm trying to stay away from those kinds of guys in mocks, or in my expectations of what we would do with the picks.

That stated, I could see something like this:

1) Barrett Jones, C/G from Alabama.
    reason: he can take over from Koppen or play next to him, whatever we need, and move either Beadles or Walton to permanent backup. Right now I think C is a bigger concern, but Jones would be a good one I think.

2) Shane Skov, MLB from Stanford
    reason: Ogletree has maturity issues that Elway and co haven't looked like they want to put up with, and we need a MLB badly for the future.

3) Larry Black, DT from Indiana
    reason: still need big uglies, especially if Bannan walks. I like that Larry can get upfield as a DT, and he's pretty stout.

4) Marcus Lattimore RB from South Carolina.
    reason: because he's SUCH a beast, and if I can get 5 years of beasting out of him, so be it. Assuming his medical checkup works out, somebody's gonna pick him. Might as well be us if he's around on day 3. I expect to take a back of some sort, with McGahee's age and injury record as well as Moreno being 1 year from FA.

6) Zach Sudfeld, TE, Nevada.
    reason: tall (6'7) TE with great hands who might still be under-rated. There are several good TEs in this draft and that combined with his injury history and playing in a lesser league might let him slip here.

7) Josh Boyce, WR, TCU.
    reason: TCU's QB having to leave the team to go into rehab put a bit of salt in his season but I think Josh could be a great slot receiver, and much faster than you'd normally get in a late-rounder. If he runs really fast at the combine he probably won't be available here, but he's another sleeper pick.
    All good guys, hard-working, smart, most of them do charity work and are already community-involved...

That's the kind of draft I'm hoping/expecting to see from Elway.

~G
    Last edited by G_Money; 01-04-2013 at 04:07 PM.
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

5. The Following User High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
    Positions of need:

- TE
    - S
    - CB
    - RB
    - DL
    - OL

I'm assuming we don't need a LT because we're not gonna let Clady get outta here.

Honestly, I'm angry with T'eo for having such a good year. He's perfect for us. Ah well.

I agree with some of the other statements made about character as a draft quality we look at. Personally, right now I have Sheldon Richardson as a likely DT candidate myself in the first round, but he has off-the-field issues (yelling at teammates after a loss, suspended for violating team rules) that would likely make the FO pass on him. Ditto Ogletree, MLB from Georgia. So I'm trying to stay away from those kinds of guys in mocks, or in my expectations of what we would do with the picks.

All good guys, hard-working, smart, most of them do charity work and are already community-involved...

~G
    That mock in near perfect. I love it.

7. The Following User High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Default Make a trade for draft picks

I think the broncos should look to trade up to jacksonville spot and grab te'o

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived jasondenver18 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jasondenver18 View Post
    I think the broncos should look to trade up to jacksonville spot and grab te'o
    To go from 32 to 2 would take at least 3 first round picks. I don't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
    Positions of need:

- TE
    - S
    - CB
    - RB
    - DL
    - OL

~G
    That's a nice mock G. I doubt that Skov is there at the end of the 2nd though. Alabama has a couple of players I would love to see the Broncos take a look at in the first. Jones, as well as Jesse Williams. He's a wide bodied, athletic DT who is still learning the position but has a ton of upside.

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

You're right, Barrett might not be there at the end of the first, let alone Skov in the second. Williams is intriguing. I dunno that he'll be there either, though. Right now a reason I think Skov could be there is that he won't run as fast as some others. The reason he might not be is that he can play in a 3-4 or a 4-3, so he's an option for more teams.

I'm just looking at last year's draft for comparisons although this draft might be a little deeper in the middle. MLB is not normally a highly drafted position. Kuechly went top-10, as T'eo could. Then Hightower at 25, as a 3-4 ILB. Mychal Kendricks was a guy I liked a lot in the middle of the 2nd, followed immediately by Wagner who went to a great team for him in Seattle. Then nobody til the fourth.

Can't use 2011 - We drafted the first MLB that year with Irving in the 3rd. Last year is a far better comp.

For this year, T'eo is obviously going before Skov, and I believe Ogletree will as well. I expect Minter from LSU to go early in the 2nd, and I certainly don't see 6 ILBs getting drafted in the first two rounds. Skov might go #4, or he could go 5 or 6. Even if he goes 4th he might be there for us in the second. We'll get to see, obviously, but I don't think it's outrageous to think Skov could be there.

At least at this point. Talk to me after the combine and I might feel differently. ;-)

~G
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

13. The Following User High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    D.Thomas....the next great broncos WR

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    I just want to know if he can pick that good with the 32nd pick in the draft. If he can do that then he is the master jedi.
    he didn't even pick in the 1st round last year #32 will be a beast

15. The Following User High Fived T.K.O. For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I would be happy with Bostic in the 3rd if he last that long and we target MLB in the Draft.

Just an observation: The last time we won the Super Bowl, we drafted Al Wilson afterward.

Kevin Christopher Minter.

(We will have to jump the Texans to get him)

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

I am starting to think either we trade up for a great potential player.....snag someone who falls to us or trading back (most likely assuming we are around 28-32 range). It all depends on how players start to rise and fall but I think defense will be deep, OL does not look very strong right now, I can see teams who needs QBs trading down and picking them up later in draft (KC could trade down several spots and still get Barkley).

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

I wouldn't be surprise if they move Williams back to MLB and keep Woodyard at WLB. That would affect their draft plans. I still think that they will look at a big DT first and then skill position next.
    "We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers

They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard

Quote Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprise if they move Williams back to MLB and keep Woodyard at WLB. That would affect their draft plans. I still think that they will look at a big DT first and then skill position next.
    I don't think so, and I hope not. DJ isn't really made for MLB. He's an outside LB that has the mentality of the guy on the edge. I want a true MLB to be drafted. A REAL beast.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information