Poll: Like the Idea?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Expanded Playoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
    While I don't side with expanding the playoffs, I don't think eliminating the byes would be the big issue. If you look at the last several SB winners, most have actually come from the wild card round. It doesn't seem like the bye has a huge advantage these days.
    Agreed, and as I said, I'm torn, because I'm not sure a team should get a week off to rest players, because even if it hasn't been an advantage of late, it is at least a theoretical one. There is part of me that thinks all teams should have to win three games to get to the SB, rather than some only having to win two games.

The NFL does NOT care about player safety, or the fans, or anything else OTHER than making money. Its ALLLL about money, period. More playoff games, means more TV deals, means more advertising, means more stadiums to sell tickets.

As someone already said, someone really needs to bitch-slap Goodell.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    The NFL does NOT care about player safety, or the fans, or anything else OTHER than making money. Its ALLLL about money, period. More playoff games, means more TV deals, means more advertising, means more stadiums to sell tickets.

Yeah, it's a business
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

4. The Following User High Fived slim For This Post:

SR

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post

Kind of goes without saying. Just like most companies don't care about their customers, other than how it relates to customer loyalty that will turn into repeat sales. The NFL is a business. It's the same reason that virtually no players take home town discounts to stay with their team -- the NFL is a business, whether at the league office level, team ownership level or player level. I don't see anything wrong with this.

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Yeah, it's a business
    I should have read your first post, you said in four words and a smiley would I took 50 or so words to say.

7. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Here's another perspective. Let's say we finish the season at 13-3 with Manning at QB. What would our record be with Hanie or Osweiler if Manning was injured week 2? For arguments sake, let's say Manning came back from injury at the end of the season and we finished 7-9. We would technicaly have a playoff caliber team at that point...but wouldnt qualify. Maybe having a healthy Manning makes a 7-9 team a SB contender.

Yes, it would be a rare instance where something like this would happen to a team, but if my above scenario happened to play out that way, I'm betting the votes of the fans on this board would be ALOT different.

And when everyone's super, no one will be...

Name:  resizedimage250283-syndrome.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  7.0 KB

10. The Following 3 Users High Fived blamkin86 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
    Yes, because not allowing defenders to lead with the helmet, or go at a QB's knees is pretty much exactly the same thing a two hand touch.

I think equating safety changes to "two hand touch" or "flag football" has BY FAR become the most overused cliche of the 2012 NFL season.
    I don't think anyone has a problem with the rules to protect the QB's knees or head, or not allowing players to be leading with the helmet. My biggest problem is the "defensless receiver" rule. When a DB gets flagged and fined for a shoulder charge on a receiver that goes over the middle, and leaves his feet to make a catch, I just shake my head in disgust. If you aren't close enough to get your hand in there and break the pass up, you have to let them catch the ball and just touch them down.

I can't speak for Mo but I don't think his refrence has anything to do with your two examples.

I think the playoffs are just fine the way they are. Sure the NFl is a business but they don't need to be greedy.

12. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    I don't think anyone has a problem with the rules to protect the QB's knees or head, or not allowing players to be leading with the helmet. My biggest problem is the "defensless receiver" rule. When a DB gets flagged and fined for a shoulder charge on a receiver that goes over the middle, and leaves his feet to make a catch, I just shake my head in disgust. If you aren't close enough to get your hand in there and break the pass up, you have to let them catch the ball and just touch them down.

I can't speak for Mo but I don't think his refrence has anything to do with your two examples.

I think the playoffs are just fine the way they are. Sure the NFl is a business but they don't need to be greedy.
    Forgive me for using hyperbole, a very effective literary tool, to make my point...
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

I can't speak for Slick, but I will forgive you MO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

Hell naw.

And Goodell is bad for the league.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Forgive me for using hyperbole, a very effective literary tool, to make my point...
    I have no problem with hyperbole. I'm simply mentioning that "flag football" and "two hand touch" have by far become the two most overused cliches when discussing safety measures.

Adopted Bronco:
    D.Thomas....the next great broncos WR

maybe after Manning retires

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    I don't have a problem with 16 teams. The NHL has nearly the same amount of teams in the league and has 16 teams in the playoffs...four division winners and four wild card teams per conference. I don't see why it would be bad in the NFL.
    Because it makes the regular season pretty much worthless. The NBA playoffs are terrible until the 2nd round. Why would we want teams with losing records in the playoffs.

If half the teams in your league make the playoffs then the whole purpose of the regular season is watered down. Hell why not just invite all 32?

19. The Following User High Fived gregbroncs For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by gregbroncs View Post
    Because it makes the regular season pretty much worthless. The NBA playoffs are terrible until the 2nd round. Why would we want teams with losing records in the playoffs.

If half the teams in your league make the playoffs then the whole purpose of the regular season is watered down. Hell why not just invite all 32?
    The NBA is a ******* joke, period.

So you're saying that the NHL playoffs, which have no first round bye but eight teams per conference and a bigger, better tournament doesnt' stack up to the six team per conference four week long NFL playoffs? The NHL plays 82 sixty minute games with the top players averaging upwards of 25 (or more) minutes per game with usually only one day off between games. The playoffs last from April until July. Eight teams per conference of some of the most competitive, intense professional sports a person on this planet can watch. I have ZERO problem with making the top teams prove they're top teams by potentially playing one more game. It might get rid of some of the ridiculous parity in this league.

I would also be okay with getting rid of the first round bye and making the 1 vs 6, 2 vs 5, and 3 vs 4 seeds play each other in the wild card round.

21. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information