Thread: The Place Kick Punt

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

Default The Place Kick Punt

The NFL rules say a scrimmage kick, what we usually see as a punt on 4th down, can be either a punt, drop kick, or place kick. My question is why is it always a punt? Why do we never see non-field goal place kicks on 4th downs?
    In Elway We Trust

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

I never realized that. I guess because having a ball holder would mean one less guy in coverage down field? Maybe they worry about out kicking coverage?

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    I never realized that. I guess because having a ball holder would mean one less guy in coverage down field? Maybe they worry about out kicking coverage?
    I think it's a combination of that, and the fact that there are more opportunities for problems with the holder catching and getting the ball down, plus place kicks come with a lower trajectory, and less hang time.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Does a place kick that isn't fielded result in the other team receiving the ball where it lands, or from where it is kicked? I think it's from where it is kicked, so there's another reason why.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

5. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Does a place kick that isn't fielded result in the other team receiving the ball where it lands, or from where it is kicked? I think it's from where it is kicked, so there's another reason why.
    It's where it lands. It's treated just like a punt. Where it is kicked only matters for field goal attempts.

This website explains it in greater detail, I checked the NFL rules manual and it lists place kick and drop kick as legal scrimmage kicks.
    http://www.johntreed.com/placekickpunt.html
    In Elway We Trust

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHorse View Post
    It's where it lands. It's treated just like a punt. Where it is kicked only matters for field goal attempts.

This website explains it in greater detail, I checked the NFL rules manual and it lists place kick and drop kick as legal scrimmage kicks.
    http://www.johntreed.com/placekickpunt.html
    So, would they have to designate to the referee whether it was a punt or a field goal?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

I would assume so. Maybe the NFL should make a logical rule change and just say punts are are the only scrimmage kick.
    In Elway We Trust

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information