Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My dream of total realignment.

Default My dream of total realignment.

It will never happen because of contracts, history, etc. But I really wish this could happen.

Turn all conferences into regions. Northeast, Southeast, Northwest, and Southwest. NEC, SEC, NWC, and SWC.

The winner of each conference heads into the 4 team playoff. That fixes the 1 conference playing in the NC game. I also fixes would will happen now with 1 conference having 2 or 3 teams in the 4 team playoff.

Following that model, I would guess the 4 team playoff this year being:

Oregon from the NWC.
    Notre Dame from the NEC.
    Alabama from the SEC.
    Stanford from the SWC.

The winner of ND/Stanford plays the winner of Bama/Oregon.

The rest of the conferences have set bowl games, like they have now. It depends on where you rank in your conference.

I can dream can't I?

2. The Following User High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

That's basically the region system that all other NCAA football levels work off of.

I like it, to some extent. I'd rather have a 16-team playoff, but I think eight is as far as it will ever go.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    That's basically the region system that all other NCAA football levels work off of.

I like it, to some extent. I'd rather have a 16-team playoff, but I think eight is as far as it will ever go.
    Do you mean like D2 or D3 (or whatever they're called now)? I don't know much about how they're set up.

Something I meant to add to my OP. Teams shouldn't have to fly across the US to play a game. They're still students. I think Boise St joins the Big East or someone. They're going to be traveling a lot. And, I assume, spending a lot of money on travel.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by dbfan2007 View Post
    Do you mean like D2 or D3 (or whatever they're called now)? I don't know much about how they're set up.

Something I meant to add to my OP. Teams shouldn't have to fly across the US to play a game. They're still students. I think Boise St joins the Big East or someone. They're going to be traveling a lot. And, I assume, spending a lot of money on travel.
    The conferences are separated into four regions. Then six teams make the playoffs from each region, with the top 2 teams (there's a rankings system) get byes, while 3 plays 6 and 4 plays 5. Winners of the four regions play in the final four.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

6. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

This would be a rough draft. Some teams would get dropped from the NEC. Some conferences would be more competitive during the season than others. But in the end, it's who makes that tournament. I would even consider some sort of NIT tournament where the #2s could play each other.

Northeast

Notre Dame
    Louisville
    Cincinnati
    Rutgers
    Syracuse
    Pittsburgh
    Connecticut
    Ohio State
    Penn State
    Wisconsin
    Nebraska
    Michigan
    Northwestern
    Michigan State
    Minnesota
    North Carolina State
    Wake Forest
    Maryland
    Boston College
    North Carolina
    West Virginia University
    Virginia Tech
    Northern Illinois
    Southeast

Georgia
    Florida
    South Carolina
    Vanderbilt
    Missouri
    Tennessee
    Kentucky
    Mississippi State
    Ole Miss
    Arkansas
    Auburn
    Alabama
    LSU
    #13 Florida State
    #14 Clemson
    Miami (FL)
    Georgia Tech
    South Florida
    Northwest

Boise St
    Oregon
    Oregon State
    Washington
    Utah
    Colorado
    Iowa
    Iowa State University
    Kansas State
    University of Kansas
    Washington St
    Utah St
    Southwest

Stanford
    California
    Washington State
    UCLA
    USC
    Arizona State
    Arizona
    Baylor University
    Oklahoma State University
    Texas Christian University
    Texas Tech University
    University of Oklahoma
    University of Texas
    Texas A&M
    San Jose St

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I know you probably just threw that together from memory, but are you dropping out non-BCS schools from D-IA? Or would all 123 teams be considered?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I hate this realignment BS.

But, i would rather have North Carolina or NC State in the SEC than Clemson. If for nothing more than recruiting purposes. It makes sense geographically though.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Stanford, Cal, and WAZZU would be in the NWC. Also Nebraska and Minnesota would be in the NWC
    Last edited by Nomad; 12-02-2012 at 01:56 PM.

11. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

I know you probably just threw that together from memory, but are you dropping out non-BCS schools from D-IA? Or would all 123 teams be considered?
    I would add good programs and drop the rest. I would even drop schools like Indiana. In my opinion, everyone is in one big pool and separated into regions, trying to forget prior affiliations, rivalries, etc. Of course, teams can get dropped and added, just like now. The toughest part would be the lack of teams available for the NWC and the overabundance of teams in places like the East. You'd let Colorado or especially Kansas stay, yet leave out some decent schools like WKU, ULM, or Illinois. I'm not sure how Illinois is going.

There's still errors to it. It would make the next lower division a little more known. I would set up bowls for that division, if they don't already have them. As far as I know, they don't. I think the FBS has too many teams. Teams move up, but teams never move down.

Maybe the current system just irks me because I like studying Geography and the system now is getting further and further from any sort of geographical reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Stanford, Cal, and WAZZU would be in the NWC. Also Nebraska and Minnesota would be in the NWC
    I was thinking about that. I meant to look up where the schools were in California. That would help.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Yeah, even LSU and Arkansas would probably head to the SWC.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Yeah, even LSU and Arkansas would probably head to the SWC.
    That would free up the SEC to take some NEC teams.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by dbfan2007 View Post
    I would add good programs and drop the rest. I would even drop schools like Indiana. In my opinion, everyone is in one big pool and separated into regions, trying to forget prior affiliations, rivalries, etc. Of course, teams can get dropped and added, just like now. The toughest part would be the lack of teams available for the NWC and the overabundance of teams in places like the East. You'd let Colorado or especially Kansas stay, yet leave out some decent schools like WKU, ULM, or Illinois. I'm not sure how Illinois is going.

There's still errors to it. It would make the next lower division a little more known. I would set up bowls for that division, if they don't already have them. As far as I know, they don't. I think the FBS has too many teams. Teams move up, but teams never move down.
    How do you define "good," and where do other teams go?

How do you define "good," and where do other teams go?
    Well, if it happened in real life, it would be up to a panel of people to decide. And so after they are corrupted by certain boosters, etc, they would decide.

For sure schools would be like Wisconsin, Ohio St, Penn St, Alabama, etc.

I don't see any schools like Duke, Indiana, or even Kentucky, etc. ever having a chance at competing for a title. A lot of FBS schools are there because of their basketball programs. I don't see any reason in that.

If a school is going crazy and winning several D2, FCS, or whatever it would be called, championships then obviously they need to move up. If a team averages 2-3 wins a year for a decade, they may need to move down and work back up.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information