Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Bailey says he never plans to play Safety...

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

Quote Originally Posted by cmc0605 View Post
    This is why people need to watch the games before judging players. How good a cornerback does has nothing to do with whether we win or lose the game (this should be obvious), and it doesn't have anything to do with how good a receivers stats are. The second point may seem less obvious than the first, but a few things to consider:

[B]1) Champ did not cover those guys every play each game. [/B

For example, Andre Johnson's 72 yards came primarily from a big 60 yard TD catch, and it was Tracy Porter (not Bailey) in coverage on that play. There was also a couple of safety issues over the top early in the season.

2) Champ has played a tremendous amount of man coverage this year on top receivers, but not always the "#1 guy"

(he played Julio Jones and Brandon Lloyd sometimes during the other games, for example). Other times, it's a zone defense, and it is a linebacker or safeties job to defend a player, even if Champ initially lines across from them

3) Sometimes players will give up passes depending on the situation. For example, if it's 3rd and 15, it's stupid to go for a pick on a quick 5 yard route if you have no safety support. Instead, you give the 5 yard catch, and then make the tackle. P.S. Champ is still a top 3 tackling DB in my opinion.

I actually don't even think he had that bad of a game working on A.J. Green, but that's another argument...

The big point is that Champ, as usual and as expected, has done a tremendous job taking away the threat of whoever is lining against him. If you watch the games you can see this. He's gives up a few short to intermediate ones now and then, but he's still not being tested very often.
    so mo admits, champ does NOT go 1 on 1 with the opponents top receiver. he does NOT shut down the best receiver, let alone half the field.
    welcome to reality mo.
    CAN WE PLEASE JUST SKIP ALL THE NONESENSE AND JUST TALK FOOTBALL?

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

There isn't a team or coach in the league who wouldn't love to have Champ at corner. He is still among the best in the league. If he ever moves to safety it will be because he wanted to, and if he does it won't be for a while yet. He is not showing signs of a drop off, not to anyone who is being unbiased in their assessment anyway, or at least watching the game.

3. The Following 5 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Zambini View Post
    so mo admits, champ does NOT go 1 on 1 with the opponents top receiver. he does NOT shut down the best receiver, let alone half the field.
    welcome to reality mo.
    That's not what Mo said.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

welcome to reality mo.
    That wasn't Mo. Glad to see you can pay attention to who is posting as well as you can break down corner play.

7. The Following 4 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by bcbronc View Post
    Has anyone ever said Champ isn't still one of the best CBs in the league on these boards?
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by vettesplus View Post
    not sure which champ you guys have been watching, but lately all i see when a catch is made from the other team is champ shaking his head because he did not make the play. i think he is on a very strong down side to his career. maybe 2 more years and he will be done...jmo!!!
    welcome to reality mo.
    Idiocy.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

champ is an excellent cvorner. He would be more effective for our D as a safety.
    weird how those names and games listed were all losses, huh?
    having a greaT 1 on 1 corner does NOT guarantee a successful defense. neither does a top safety. i just contend a top flight safety makes a greater impact, for the ENTIRE defensive effort.
    the jets have 3 great cover corners, hows that working out for them?
    CAN WE PLEASE JUST SKIP ALL THE NONESENSE AND JUST TALK FOOTBALL?

10. The Following User High Fived Chef Zambini For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

champ is an excellent cvorner. He would be more effective for our D as a safety.
    having a greaT 1 on 1 corner does NOT guarantee a successful defense. neither does a top safety. i just contend a top flight safety makes a greater impact, for the ENTIRE defensive effort.
    Nope. You're wrong. Plain and simple.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    There isn't a team or coach in the league who wouldn't love to have Champ at corner. He is still among the best in the league. If he ever moves to safety it will be because he wanted to, and if he does it won't be for a while yet. He is not showing signs of a drop off, not to anyone who is being unbiased in their assessment anyway, or at least watching the game.
    I agree completely with the first half of your post. Off the top of my head I can't think of a single CB I'd rather have than Champ Bailey for THIS season. Maybe a guy from CHI but not sure if they play as much man as we do. If Champ isn't the best CB in the league right now, he's right there. It's a testament to just what kind of physical specimen Champ is, and also maybe says something on the derth of truly elite CBs in the league right now.

But you can't honestly say Champ hasn't shown any sign of a drop off. He's not what he was 5 years ago when he was super human. No way Malcolm Floyd would have made 3 catches vs Champ in the second half 5 years ago. Champ's still great, but to say he hasn't declined at all is incorrect.
    If not me, who?

13. The Following 3 Users High Fived bcbronc For This Post:

There are about two corners who actually play an entire game on one player...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

15. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    which is why I always object when anyone says Champ "singlehandedly" shut X down.
    If not me, who?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    One blew his ACL. And even he plays some zone and various coverages. It's really rare to see a game like Denver had against Carolina where they play strictly man on one side and bracket on the other (guess whose side was man). In today's NFL you do have to disguise and mix up coverages. The quarterbacks are good. The research is at an all time high and will keep increasing as technology increases. But to just outright deny the impact of a corner is just ludicrous.

But because they mix up coverages doesn't mean Champ isn't doing his job, which is to shut down recievers. Regardless of who the receiver is on THAT play. One touchdown has been scored on Champ Bailey this season. I believe it's one of two or three in the last five years. Do you know how ridiculous that is with the offensive league the NFL is now?

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    One blew his ACL. And even he plays some zone and various coverages. It's really rare to see a game like Denver had against Carolina where they play strictly man on one side and bracket on the other (guess whose side was man). In today's NFL you do have to disguise and mix up coverages. The quarterbacks are good. The research is at an all time high and will keep increasing as technology increases. But to just outright deny the impact of a corner is just ludicrous.
    Exactly. Sometimes a top corner is put on a certain player in specific situations.

The Bengals used to put Jonathan Joseph on the best WR a team had. The exceptions included the opposition's best deep threat on third and long or short yardage.

Champ actually looks like a human being. It's demoralizing to some and infuriating to others.

Why is it assumed that Champ would automatically be a good safety?

Do Jets fans ponder if Revis should be a safety right now?
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by bcbronc View Post
    which is why I always object when anyone says Champ "singlehandedly" shut X down.
    Well, sometimes he still does. If every time he's on that WR they don't catch the ball, he did.

21. The Following 4 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Was it champs fault we turned the ball over three times in our redzone or theirs?

Weird how we would lose a game when we do something like that huh?
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

23. The Following User High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vettesplus View Post
    not sure which champ you guys have been watching, but lately all i see when a catch is made from the other team is champ shaking his head because he did not make the play. i think he is on a very strong down side to his career. maybe 2 more years and he will be done...jmo!!!
    That's because Champ expects so much of himself that he doesn't even want to give up the 3 catches per game to the opponent's best receiver that he does.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information