Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Just became a Jodie Foster fan.

3. The Following 5 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Hey beef, here’s your thread.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Thanks Mo. you little fire hydrant.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

I'm tempted to start a whole new thread for this, but decided to just put it here.

Last night, when the MNF game was obviously out of reach, I saw that Raising Arizona was playing on one of the premium cable channels. So, I flipped it over to watch for the umpteenth time. That movie never fails to entertain me.

As I was watching it last night, I had a strange insight that had never occurred to me previously.

Raising Arizona and No Country for Old Men are the same movie! Obviously different genres, and very different vibes, but I'll be damned if they're not eerily similar. No Country is just a nihilistic dystopian Raising Arizona. Here's just a few of the similarities:

1. Anton Chigurh = Leonard Smalls

Name:  Doorway_NC.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  35.8 KB

Name:  Doorway_RA.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  38.1 KB

2. Nathan Arizona Jr., = Satchel of money. Both are the MacGuffin of the movie. The plot device that drives the motives of the other characters.

3. In both a wealthy businessman hires a bounty hunter to track down and recover his lost property

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1_We6d-KIzkfIGsq2oVtUT0Q.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	14954

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1_0WEpjRYLQEBigCRmMhq33Q.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	14955
    Attached Images Attached Images  

7. The Following 3 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

4. Heck. ..both even have the elderly gas station attendent:

Name:  Clerk_RA.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  36.1 KB

Name:  Clerk_NC.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  33.2 KB

In both, the protagonist is "chased" by their demons. Neither can escape their currently reality until they kill off their demons. H.I. has to let go of his convenience store fetish in order to settle down and have children. Lewelyn is unable to escape his demons (fear that he's not good enough for his wife) and dies at the end.

Anyways. . ..it was a nice distraction from this abomination of a season.
    Last edited by NightTrainLayne; 09-27-2019 at 11:30 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Holy shit, I dont say this with sincerity often but NTL just blew my mind. Probably my favorite post of the year.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Buff, you have to go see Joker. This is one comic book movie that you will actually like.

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Buff, you have to go see Joker. This is one comic book movie that you will actually like.
    This is the first movie in some time that I've felt I really needed to see in the theater.

14. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

I'll probably give it a chance - Batman was kind of the only comic book franchise I even really invested in anyway.

Just curious why do you think I'll like it though?

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I'll probably give it a chance - Batman was kind of the only comic book franchise I even really invested in anyway.

Just curious why do you think I'll like it though?
    Because it's a great movie about a mentally ill man falling off the cliff. It's wonderfully acted. The directing is top notch. The cinematography is as good as any movie I've ever seen that was set in a city. I dont usually care about a movie's score but this one is fantastic.

I will warn you there are definitely uncomfortable parts. At first it kinda feels like JP is overacting but then you just go all in with this character. It's easy to forget that this is supposed to be a comic book movie.

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Because it's a great movie about a mentally ill man falling off the cliff. It's wonderfully acted. The directing is top notch. The cinematography is as good as any movie I've ever seen that was set in a city. I dont usually care about a movie's score but this one is fantastic.

I will warn you there are definitely uncomfortable parts. At first it kinda feels like JP is overacting but then you just go all in with this character. It's easy to forget that this is supposed to be a comic book movie.
    Its a great social commentary on society that just happens to be set in a fictional City. The third act is uncomfortable as hell to watch and you go from having empathy for his character to being an observer watching it all play out. When you realize how much of the story is told from his perspective you start to question your own sanity and eventually everything is off the table. Its hard not to get lost in this film. Glad you liked it too! I was questioning my sanity after a few people I talk to were turned off because they said it "glorified violence". I think its cool how the movie really shifts perspective depending on how you go into it.

The highlight of the film for me was the whole top chain lock on the door scene. **** that was intense!

19. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Its a great social commentary on society that just happens to be set in a fictional City. The third act is uncomfortable as hell to watch and you go from having empathy for his character to being an observer watching it all play out. When you realize how much of the story is told from his perspective you start to question your own sanity and eventually everything is off the table. Its hard not to get lost in this film. Glad you liked it too! I was questioning my sanity after a few people I talk to were turned off because they said it "glorified violence". I think its cool how the movie really shifts perspective depending on how you go into it.

The highlight of the film for me was the whole top chain lock on the door scene. **** that was intense!
    My favorite comment regarding the film was this

Joker 1989: throw him in a bat of acid
    Joker 2019: throw him into society.

The visceral nature of the violence does the exact opposite of glorifying it IMHO. Movies like John Wick glorify violence (and I'm fine with that BTW) way more than Joker does.

Yes that scene was great.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Metacritic: 58 (Mixed or Average Reviews) based on 57 reviews...

Paste Magazine Dom Sinacola Oct 2, 2019
    Do not let anyone tell you that Joker captures our specific time, represents our specific society, both births and defines our specific zeitgeist, grabs ahold of our specific faces and breathes smoke down our throats. It doesn’t.

Washington Post Ann Hornaday Oct 1, 2019
    The truth is, it’s just a movie — a fine movie, not a great movie, a movie that will please the specific subculture of fans it aims to service, while those who have survived this long without caring about comic-book movies can go on not caring.

Vox Alissa Wilkinson Sep 12, 2019
    Joker is a well-made movie, with a killer performance from Joaquin Phoenix, who seems born to play the role. But there’s nothing “bonkers” about it. It has nothing to say about the Joker himself or what he represents, or even about the world in which his brand of evil exists. Go ahead and crack open the movie. It’s hollow to the core.

RogerEbert.com Glenn Kenny Aug 31, 2019
    As social commentary, Joker is pernicious garbage.

Uproxx Mike Ryan Sep 12, 2019
    Joker is a movie that thinks it has a lot to say and fancies itself The Social Commentary Of Our Time, but in reality it’s a mishmash of Hot Button Social Issues without anything interesting to say at all. So, in that respect, it’s the perfect movie for 2019.

Time Stephanie Zacharek Aug 31, 2019
    Phoenix is acting so hard you can feel the desperation throbbing in his veins. He leaves you wanting to start him a GoFundMe, so he won’t have to pour so much sweat into his job again.

The New Yorker Richard Brody Oct 4, 2019
    The result is a movie of a cynicism so vast and pervasive as to render the viewing experience even emptier than its slapdash aesthetic does.

The New Yorker Anthony Lane Sep 30, 2019
    Such is the strenuous effort of Phoenix’s performance that it becomes exhausting to behold.

Austin Chronicle Josh Kupecki Oct 2, 2019
    It’s DC Comics playing rough, but not rough enough, but maybe that’s too much to ask. Where is the fvcking "Hellblazer" movie already.

User score based on 2,394 ratings: 9.3 (Universal Acclaim)

So I'm like, I know this is gonna be good.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Critics are ******* insincere pieces of garbage. After Cannes where this film won a boatload of awards and was being universally praised a group of woke ****tards decided there was some reason to bash the movie and a bunch of the more spineless critics decided they better keep in Lock step with the woke morons lest they be canceled.

The difference between critic scores and audience scores now on anything that has any kind of political ramifications at all is ******* hysterical. The woke twitter mob has a kung-fu grip on the critic's balls, which is strange because it seems like they dont actually have any.

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information