Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Buff's Elitist Movie Review Thread

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Critics are ******* insincere pieces of garbage. After Cannes where this film won a boatload of awards and was being universally praised a group of woke ****tards decided there was some reason to bash the movie and a bunch of the more spineless critics decided they better keep in Lock step with the woke morons lest they be canceled.

The difference between critic scores and audience scores now on anything that has any kind of political ramifications at all is ******* hysterical. The woke twitter mob has a kung-fu grip on the critic's balls, which is strange because it seems like they dont actually have any.
    So you're saying Buff should probably sit this one out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived slim For This Post:

There are a lot of critics. I was always a sucker for Ebert myself, mostly because he was always kind to journalism students. I like critics who give their own personal view point, but also expound on why certain fans of certain things might or might not like a film. Then again, I'm probably more centered in the 'woke crowd' that Chazoe refers to. I do enjoy reading how one person views a scene vs how another person does. A strength to one person vs a weakness to another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Much like the audience you have to take the critics assessments with a grain of salt. The critics didnt "get" the last Godzilla movie because there were too many other Kaiju's in the film. But for the audience and diehards they got it just fine. Sometimes critics over analyze films more than they should and often forget some of the reason these films are meant to be entertaining despite sharing or reflecting on the social environment.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Much like the audience you have to take the critics assessments with a grain of salt. The critics didnt "get" the last Godzilla movie because there were too many other Kaiju's in the film. But for the audience and diehards they got it just fine. Sometimes critics over analyze films more than they should and often forget some of the reason these films are meant to be entertaining despite sharing or reflecting on the social environment.
    One of my favorite lines from a review "Because I hated this, I knew this movie was going to be well received."

Mostly because I wrote it.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

7. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Yeah you either go with the audience score or stick with critics that have similar taste profiles to you. Movies are very subjective.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Metacritic: 58 (Mixed or Average Reviews) based on 57 reviews...

Paste Magazine Dom Sinacola Oct 2, 2019
    Do not let anyone tell you that Joker captures our specific time, represents our specific society, both births and defines our specific zeitgeist, grabs ahold of our specific faces and breathes smoke down our throats. It doesn’t.

Washington Post Ann Hornaday Oct 1, 2019
    The truth is, it’s just a movie — a fine movie, not a great movie, a movie that will please the specific subculture of fans it aims to service, while those who have survived this long without caring about comic-book movies can go on not caring.

Vox Alissa Wilkinson Sep 12, 2019
    Joker is a well-made movie, with a killer performance from Joaquin Phoenix, who seems born to play the role. But there’s nothing “bonkers” about it. It has nothing to say about the Joker himself or what he represents, or even about the world in which his brand of evil exists. Go ahead and crack open the movie. It’s hollow to the core.

RogerEbert.com Glenn Kenny Aug 31, 2019
    As social commentary, Joker is pernicious garbage.

Uproxx Mike Ryan Sep 12, 2019
    Joker is a movie that thinks it has a lot to say and fancies itself The Social Commentary Of Our Time, but in reality it’s a mishmash of Hot Button Social Issues without anything interesting to say at all. So, in that respect, it’s the perfect movie for 2019.

Time Stephanie Zacharek Aug 31, 2019
    Phoenix is acting so hard you can feel the desperation throbbing in his veins. He leaves you wanting to start him a GoFundMe, so he won’t have to pour so much sweat into his job again.

The New Yorker Richard Brody Oct 4, 2019
    The result is a movie of a cynicism so vast and pervasive as to render the viewing experience even emptier than its slapdash aesthetic does.

The New Yorker Anthony Lane Sep 30, 2019
    Such is the strenuous effort of Phoenix’s performance that it becomes exhausting to behold.

Austin Chronicle Josh Kupecki Oct 2, 2019
    It’s DC Comics playing rough, but not rough enough, but maybe that’s too much to ask. Where is the fvcking "Hellblazer" movie already.

User score based on 2,394 ratings: 9.3 (Universal Acclaim)

So I'm like, I know this is gonna be good.
    Yeah the user score is always the way to go. People don't go see movies they think they will not like, so if they end up liking it you can be sure you will too if you were looking forward to it. Critics have to see and review nearly EVERY movie and probably get bitter after a while.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Got tickets for 8:30, looking forward to this one.

12. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Having read those comments from the critics, I can tell you which fans are Batman fans and which ones aren't.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Someone put up the address of the stairs featured heavily in the Joker movie and you can get a good look with street view: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8357...7i16384!8i8192

15. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Reminds me when i went to see the stairs in Georgetown that was featured in The Exorcist. I love little things like that.

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

We need to identify The Social Network as one of the great movies of the 2000s. An incredible cast (which was forward thinking in its talent discovery), good acting, cultural relevance (incredibly prescient)...

Can I get an amen?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

19. The Following 5 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I dont get the hype about it but my wife loves it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    We need to identify The Social Network as one of the great movies of the 2000s. An incredible cast (which was forward thinking in its talent discovery), good acting, cultural relevance (incredibly prescient)...

Can I get an amen?
    I remember watching it in theaters and being thoroughly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. But that was before I knew that I am a Sorkin fan boi.

Nine years ago this week -

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Social Network - 9.5/10 - Hard to find anything negative to say about it... The dialogue was awesome, the guy who plays Zuckerberg is phenomenal, the whole thing was just great. Inspirational, without trying to be inspirational.

I can't remember the last time I liked a movie this much - probably Inception, The Departed & There Will Be Blood. But this has fewer "yeah, but I didn't like such and such..." moments. I liked the whole thing, minus one brief scene involving Timberlake, but even he was pretty good.

Must see.

22. The Following 5 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    I'm tempted to start a whole new thread for this, but decided to just put it here.

Last night, when the MNF game was obviously out of reach, I saw that Raising Arizona was playing on one of the premium cable channels. So, I flipped it over to watch for the umpteenth time. That movie never fails to entertain me.

As I was watching it last night, I had a strange insight that had never occurred to me previously.

Raising Arizona and No Country for Old Men are the same movie! Obviously different genres, and very different vibes, but I'll be damned if they're not eerily similar. No Country is just a nihilistic dystopian Raising Arizona. Here's just a few of the similarities:
    I would argue that you could make similar comparisons with just about every Coen Bros movie.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Sin City was based on a comic book/graphic novel. That movie was fantastic. I bet you're the type of guy who likes Capote.
    Sin City was tedious for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information