Page 64 of 238 FirstFirst ... 14 54 62 63 64 65 66 74 114 164 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: Episode VII - IX & Spinoffs Disscussion *SPOILERS INSIDE*

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

A MESSAGE FROM LUCASFILM REGARDING THE UNTITLED HAN SOLO FILM

The untitled Han Solo film will move forward with a directorial change.

“Phil Lord and Christopher Miller are talented filmmakers who have assembled an incredible cast and crew, but it’s become clear that we had different creative visions on this film, and we’ve decided to part ways. A new director will be announced soon,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm.

“Unfortunately, our vision and process weren’t aligned with our partners on this project. We normally aren’t fans of the phrase ‘creative differences’ but for once this cliché is true. We are really proud of the amazing and world-class work of our cast and crew,” stated Phil Lord and Christopher Miller.

The untitled Han Solo film remains scheduled for a May 2018 release.
    http://www.starwars.com/news/a-messa...-han-solo-film

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Magnificent Seven View Post
    Saw this last night. What this tells me is that Disney/Lucasfilm is being too protective of their franchise at the expense of creativity. They did the same thing to Gareth Edwards with Rogue One and while that film was good, it sounded like it had more of a "Saving Private Ryan" look to it with his initial cut before the reshoots. On one hand I get sticking to the formula, but the irony here is that the original movies were all big risks and they seem to want to play it as safe as possible. I will withold judgment, but I can't imagine we will see truly unique visions with the Star Wars spinoff films which is a shame because that is exactly what they should be used for.

EDIT: And just for background if anyone is curios, Phil Lord and Christopher Miller were the masterminds that somehow made the Lego movie and Lego Batman movie work. These guys are good, and it's troubling that Disney thinks they know better how to approach this film.

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Saw this last night. What this tells me is that Disney/Lucasfilm is being too protective of their franchise at the expense of creativity. They did the same thing to Gareth Edwards with Rogue One and while that film was good, it sounded like it had more of a "Saving Private Ryan" look to it with his initial cut before the reshoots. On one hand I get sticking to the formula, but the irony here is that the original movies were all big risks and they seem to want to play it as safe as possible. I will withold judgment, but I can't imagine we will see truly unique visions with the Star Wars spinoff films which is a shame because that is exactly what they should be used for.

EDIT: And just for background if anyone is curios, Phil Lord and Christopher Miller were the masterminds that somehow made the Lego movie and Lego Batman movie work. These guys are good, and it's troubling that Disney thinks they know better how to approach this film.
    Interesting to hear about Lord and Miller. However, I've heard they were clashing with Kathleen Kennedy for some reasons.

Sources say Ron Howard is in talks to take over the film, but there is no deal as yet.

Interesting to hear about Lord and Miller. However, I've heard they were clashing with Kathleen Kennedy for some reasons.

Sources say Ron Howard is in talks to take over the film, but there is no deal as yet.
    I'm so ready for Arrested Development in space!

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

Lucasfilm is pleased to announce that Academy Award-winning filmmaker Ron Howard has been named director of the untitled Han Solo film.

“At Lucasfilm, we believe the highest goal of each film is to delight, carrying forward the spirit of the saga that George Lucas began forty years ago,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. “With that in mind, we’re thrilled to announce that Ron Howard will step in to direct the untitled Han Solo film. We have a wonderful script, an incredible cast and crew, and the absolute commitment to make a great movie. Filming will resume the 10th of July.”

Howard has made some of the biggest hits and most critically-acclaimed movies of the modern era. Among his many films are Lucasfilm’s Willow, Apollo 13, A Beautiful Mind (winner of four Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Director), The Da Vinci Code, Frost/Nixon, and Rush. He also narrated and produced the beloved comedy series Arrested Development, starred in George Lucas’ American Graffiti, and remains a TV icon for his roles in The Andy Griffith Show and Happy Days.

The untitled Han Solo film is slated for a May 25, 2018, release.
    http://www.starwars.com/news/ron-how...-han-solo-film

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

That feels like playing it safe.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    That feels like playing it safe.
    Ron Howard is about the safest choice they could make. The latest news I heard yesterday is that Miller and Lord were essentially encouraging improvisation of scenes and making the tone very light and comedic. Right now the Star Wars films have had controversy with three directors. Josh Trank was fired before he even started, Gareth Edwards had his entire film remade, and now Miller and Lord were fired. Trank was another matter altogether, but the other directors were essentially slapped on the wrist for being auteur directors who wanted to bring their own vision to the films.

When I first heard about the new Star Wars movies I was excited to continue the story, but I was also intrigued by the idea of the spin-off films. I understand the Episodic movies should have the same themes and tone, but why not a Star Wars movie with a more humorous tone? Why not a movie that has NOTHING to do with the existing characters or plot, like an Old Republic film in the vein of the Seven Samurai? I don't know anyone that was clamoring for a Han Solo film and to be honest even as a fan I am indifferent to it. Hans story starts and ends in the main films as far as I'm concerned. Do I need to see the kessel run?

Of course I will go see the film, but right now I am just hoping for a good movie. I'd settle for an interesting mess though if it had some creativity. Say what you want about George Lucas, but that guy could build a world even if his dialogue was written poorly.

I think George Lucas is precisely the problem though. Disney knows that George left a large number of fans very jaded towards the movies thanks to the lackluster prequels. Disney's trying to make sure that they please the fans by making a very specific kind of movie. The problem is, that's what they did with episode 7 and while I loved it, a lot of fans didn't because it was too safe and not original enough.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I think George Lucas is precisely the problem though. Disney knows that George left a large number of fans very jaded towards the movies thanks to the lackluster prequels. Disney's trying to make sure that they please the fans by making a very specific kind of movie. The problem is, that's what they did with episode 7 and while I loved it, a lot of fans didn't because it was too safe and not original enough.
    Star Wars fans are butt-heads. Myself included. Actually lots of kids that grew up with the prequels are coming out of the woodwork and holding those movies up just as passionately as the OT Old Farts. Star Wars fans are getting exactly what they are bitching about but then realizing they can't get what they really want which is to be 5 years old in a theater again. At this point safe, competent movies is the best we can hope for. And just for the record I thought the prequels were fine for the most part, so even the older fans are divided on what a "real" Star Wars movie should be.

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

In-fighting in the Star Wars world.

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

I watched Rogue One again. It kinda didn't hold up

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    I watched Rogue One again. It kinda didn't hold up
    However, they got the best ending with Darth Vader and Princess Leia.

15. The Following User High Fived Magnificent Seven For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

However, they got the best ending with Darth Vader and Princess Leia.
    Yeah but seriously how hard was that.

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

I was pondering this image of Darth Vader and his Tie Fighter. I think they should make another spin off movie about what happened to Darth Vader after Han Solo shoots down a TIE fighter using the Falcon's turrets in episode IV. How did Vader survive a tie fighter crash and reunited with the Dark Side? It would be interesting to have that spinoff movie.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	darth-vader-down-diorama-tall.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	10654

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

I was pondering this image of Darth Vader and his Tie Fighter. I think they should make another spin off movie about what happened to Darth Vader after Han Solo shoots down a TIE fighter using the Falcon's turrets in episode IV. How did Vader survive a tie fighter crash and reunited with the Dark Side? It would be interesting to have that spinoff movie.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	darth-vader-down-diorama-tall.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	10654
    Its a cool image but I would rather see that as one of the animated shorts they are doing: http://partners.disney.com/star-wars-forces-of-destiny

It would be tough to do a whole movie on that, but it would be a cool scene in a bigger movie. Honestly I want them to get out of the Galactic Civil War era with the spinoffs. An Old Republic movie would be sweet.

20. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information