Page 11 of 238 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 111 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: Episode VII - IX & Spinoffs Disscussion *SPOILERS INSIDE*

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
    i mean, Lucas created LucasArts to do production and post production on the US side. Since Disney bought them out, things seem to have changed. I know many former employees of Lucas Arts. One of my teachers worked on every one of the films, the originals and the recent ones.

Location shots are different then actual production and post production. Most FX movies like Avengers source out the FX to multiple studios in order to meet time requirements. I just like seeing the mostly US based companies instead of sourcing out to India + Europe, where guys get paid 20 cents an hour to do rotoscoping.
    LucasArts is a division of Lucasflim that did work on video games and software. Industrial Light and Magic is the special effects house that does all the work for Lucasfilm (now Disney/Lucasfilm) and is based in America so I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to. Also the visuals for The Avengers were done by Industrial Light and Magic as well. LucasArts was shut down by Disney after the acquisition, so that may be what you were thinking of.

Lower budget movies will outsource to other countries, but as far as I know Disney/Lucasfilm will continue to use ILM. The real issue is that these talented artists are severely underpaid. A good example is Rhythm and Hues, a visual effects company in California, that went bankrupts AFTER winning an Oscar for their work on Life of Pi:http://www.scpr.org/blogs/economy/20...-and-hues-and/

This is due to competitive overseas markets in New Zealand (like Peter Jackson's Weta) and the effects sweatshops that drive down the prices that you are referring to. As of right now however, larger productions like Marvel and Lucasfilm will continue to use American based effects houses when possible, they will just underpay them.

Location shoots are another issue as well. High taxes on filming in places like New York leave many filmmakers little choice to either do greenscreen or film in other countries or cities. Vancouver is often a stand in for New York, and all of the non-CGI exterior New York scenes in The Avengers will filmed in Ohio of all places.

Who was your teacher by the way? Did he/she do model work for ILM or computer related effects?

2. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    LucasArts is a division of Lucasflim that did work on video games and software. Industrial Light and Magic is the special effects house that does all the work for Lucasfilm (now Disney/Lucasfilm) and is based in America so I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to. Also the visuals for The Avengers were done by Industrial Light and Magic as well. LucasArts was shut down by Disney after the acquisition, so that may be what you were thinking of.

Lower budget movies will outsource to other countries, but as far as I know Disney/Lucasfilm will continue to use ILM. The real issue is that these talented artists are severely underpaid. A good example is Rhythm and Hues, a visual effects company in California, that went bankrupts AFTER winning an Oscar for their work on Life of Pi:http://www.scpr.org/blogs/economy/20...-and-hues-and/

This is due to competitive overseas markets in New Zealand (like Peter Jackson's Weta) and the effects sweatshops that drive down the prices that you are referring to. As of right now however, larger productions like Marvel and Lucasfilm will continue to use American based effects houses when possible, they will just underpay them.

Location shoots are another issue as well. High taxes on filming in places like New York leave many filmmakers little choice to either do greenscreen or film in other countries or cities. Vancouver is often a stand in for New York, and all of the non-CGI exterior New York scenes in The Avengers will filmed in Ohio of all places.

Who was your teacher by the way? Did he/she do model work for ILM or computer related effects?
    Ah yes i meant ILM, not LucasArts. Im glad they are still using ILM, i thought Disney shut that down along with LA. Yea they did work on Avengers, but multiple studios did. If you look at the credits, you will see about 10-15 different FX studios.

The FX sweatshops are what pisses me off. These guys in India , like i said get paid 20 cents an hour to do something that i would get paid $20-40 an hour to do.

Here is my teachers IMDB page, He worked for ILM most of his life.
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0469496/

He brought us all these awesome photos from the estate in San Fran. Where they had all these hidden star wars memorabilia. Was epic. I tried to get him to steal R2 D2 for me.

Prolly best teacher i have had so far.
    Last edited by ShaneFalco; 05-13-2014 at 04:31 PM.

4. The Following User High Fived ShaneFalco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
    Ah yes i meant ILM, not LucasArts. Im glad they are still using ILM, i thought Disney shut that down along with LA. Yea they did work on Avengers, but multiple studios did. If you look at the credits, you will see about 10-15 different FX studios.

The FX sweatshops are what pisses me off. These guys in India , like i said get paid 20 cents an hour to do something that i would get paid $20-40 an hour to do.

Here is my teachers IMDB page, He worked for ILM most of his life.
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0469496/

He brought us all these awesome photos from the estate in San Fran. Where they had all these hidden star wars memorabilia. Was epic. I tried to get him to steal R2 D2 for me.

Prolly best teacher i have had so far.
    Your teacher sounds awesome! I had a friend that got to intern at the Letterman Digital Arts Center (where ILM is housed) and he got to see the warehouse where a lot of the props and models were. He said the highlight was the Death Star II model. Unfortunately he couldn't take in a phone or camera and they checked him on the way in and out.

6. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

TMZ posted about 20+ new photos from a soon-to-be-fired extra or crewperson yesterday. They show A TON of influence from the old Ralph McQuaurrie unused concept art from several years ago (as shown in the first two photos). Then late last night pics of the Millennium Falcon and a new type of X-Wing were posted in the process of being built a few months ago:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jabbas-palace-gate_zps951278fa.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	4811

Name:	slide_351889_3803965_free.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	4812

Name:	millennium-falcon-star-wars-spoiler-sneak-peek-behind-the-scenes-photos-016-480w.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	4813

Name:	millennium-falcon-star-wars-spoiler-sneak-peek-behind-the-scenes-photos-014-480w.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	4814
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slide_351889_3803961_free.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	4810  

8. The Following 9 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

I'm sure the soon to be fired individual responsible for leaking these photos is crying all the way to the bank. Like I said before, they'd have to shell out at least a billion $ in hush money to keep everyone involved in the filming of this quiet.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    I'm sure the soon to be fired individual responsible for leaking these photos is crying all the way to the bank. Like I said before, they'd have to shell out at least a billion $ in hush money to keep everyone involved in the filming of this quiet.
    I meant that tongue in cheek. The pics on TMZ were too professional looking (cast and extras were posing for many of the shots), if I had to bet I would say Disney/LucasFilm "leaked" the pics themselves. Their normal cease and desist was not lobbied against any sites posting the pictures. I think they are trying to sedate the original trilogy fanboys. "See? PUPPETS AND PRACTICAL EFFECTS! Just like you remember!"

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

12. The Following User High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Since my last update there has been some minor casting news, Ford is still in recovery from his leg being hit by the Millenium Falcon door, and there have been some awful.. AWFUL rumors about supposed script leaks involving floating hands that I won't even get into. Other than that production has been locked down on Episode VII and there hasn't been much news that is official until today. In another great marketing move by the "Force for Change" charity drive, we get a sneak peak at a new (old?) X-Wing style fighter on the set:

As we saw with some leaked set photos earlier, these X-Wings are very similar to the old Ralph McQaurrie production paintings which once again evoke the look of the original trilogy:

Also a bonus if you missed it, here is Kevin Smith talking about what it was like to step onto the set of the Millennium Falcon. Its about 10 minutes long but a great story:

14. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Red leader calling blue leader....

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Red leader calling blue leader....

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Looks like someone was able to smuggle a few pics of the Millennium Falcon Interior:

Name:	Falcon-inside3.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	5283

And what looks like the area just below a Star Destroyer Bridge:

Name:	static.squarespace.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	5284

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

I can't wait for this scene:

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Another quick update. Shooting has resumed in several locations including scenes with Mark Hammill on the island of Skelling:

Name:	Set-Location.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	5507

And at Pinewood Studios in London:

Name:	mark-hamill-star-wars-episode-vii-hed-640x0.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	5508

But the big leak this week was an aerial shot of the Millennium Falcon and an X-Wing being built (or possibly ready to shoot) just outside of London in an old hangar:

Views:	76 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	5509

Some plot details were leaked but they all seem rather sketchy when compared to the actual photos coming out from other sources, so the basic story is still under wraps. The basic outline seems to be that Luke has been missing for some time and the Empire or Sith are returning to the Sith Homeworld to unearth a new ancient weapon, which could tie in with the rumored title of Star Wars Episode VII: An Ancient Fear.

24. The Following 3 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Another quick update. Shooting has resumed in several locations including scenes with Mark Hammill on the island of Skelling:

Name:	Set-Location.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	5507

And at Pinewood Studios in London:

Name:	mark-hamill-star-wars-episode-vii-hed-640x0.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	5508

But the big leak this week was an aerial shot of the Millennium Falcon and an X-Wing being built (or possibly ready to shoot) just outside of London in an old hangar:

Views:	76 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	5509

Some plot details were leaked but they all seem rather sketchy when compared to the actual photos coming out from other sources, so the basic story is still under wraps. The basic outline seems to be that Luke has been missing for some time and the Empire or Sith are returning to the Sith Homeworld to unearth a new ancient weapon, which could tie in with the rumored title of Star Wars Episode VII: An Ancient Fear.
    That middle pick is Mark Hammill today

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information