Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Manti Te'o

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Fair...but how many MLB's are "impact" players in the NFL? And how many rings have those players helped their teams earn? Lofton? Willis? Jackson?

I'm completely okay with drafting Te'o if he's available, but if we have to "settle" for one of the next 2-3 guys, I'm definitely ok with that as well
    Yeah, good point, but I can say that about every position OTHER than QB. How many of the top TEs have a Super Bowl ring?? How many of the top Safeties have a super bowl ring? How many of the top corners.. how many of the top WRs (Fitz, Johnson, Johnson, Marshall, Jones, White, DT).

So I don't think that's an indication that they aren't "needed." I personally look at the top defenses, and of the top defenses how many have a top MLB. Just as you need a top QB to have a top offense, you need a top MLB to have a top defense. Sure you can have a good offense without a top QB, and sure you can have a good defense without a top MLB.... but neither will be great without those players.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:

No argument. A good MLB is necessary. But I dont think you have to give up additional picks to get the very best one. If the second best available graded out as 3rd or 4th rounders, then I could maybe see it. But guys like Minter, johnson, Skov and Mauti can be very good pros. In all honesty...someone that can fill a gap and tackle would be an upgrade for us.

If we could swing a deal to give up a 6th in order to swap firsts...I'd be on board. But I dont know that I'd sacrifice much more than that, personally. Opinions and ********

The dominating Tampa defense had Shelton Quarles, an undrafted free agent.

Adopted Bronco:

I think if you look at the top run defenses in the NFL as of today, you'll find what some might consider "elite" MLB's (Urlacher?, WIllis, Mayo)...but you're also going to find some average to good players (James, Quarles, Dansby, Wagner), too.

At the end of the day, an upgrade is needed. I just dont think it has to be the absolute best available at the cost of future picks

5. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

I think if you look at the top run defenses in the NFL as of today, you'll find what some might consider "elite" MLB's (Urlacher?, WIllis, Mayo)...but you're also going to find some average to good players (James, Quarles, Dansby, Wagner), too.

At the end of the day, an upgrade is needed. I just dont think it has to be the absolute best available at the cost of future picks
    I agree.

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

No argument. A good MLB is necessary. But I dont think you have to give up additional picks to get the very best one. If the second best available graded out as 3rd or 4th rounders, then I could maybe see it. But guys like Minter, johnson, Skov and Mauti can be very good pros. In all honesty...someone that can fill a gap and tackle would be an upgrade for us.

If we could swing a deal to give up a 6th in order to swap firsts...I'd be on board. But I dont know that I'd sacrifice much more than that, personally. Opinions and ********
    but are those players immediate impact players? Are they ready day 1 to be in the starting line up? T'eo i believe can start immediately and make an impact and be a difference maker. Can the other guys? I am not sure. We have had not had luck going with defensive players in rounds 3-5 in the last 2 rounds. The safeties and LBs we drafted are not impressive and only Moore is a starter, Carter is injured. I am 100% down with trading up for him. He would have the biggest impact to our defense. What is wrong with throwing in later round picks to move up? Right now we are showing we do not have as many holes in this team as we thought. Our secondary is playing better, out DL is doing well. Of course we have spots that could use upgrades but MLB is the only real hole that was a bandaid on it right now with a 36 yr old there who was an upgrade over mays.

8. The Following User High Fived NightTerror218 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror218 View Post
    but are those players immediate impact players? Are they ready day 1 to be in the starting line up? T'eo i believe can start immediately and make an impact and be a difference maker. Can the other guys? I am not sure. We have had not had luck going with defensive players in rounds 3-5 in the last 2 rounds. The safeties and LBs we drafted are not impressive and only Moore is a starter, Carter is injured. I am 100% down with trading up for him. He would have the biggest impact to our defense. What is wrong with throwing in later round picks to move up? Right now we are showing we do not have as many holes in this team as we thought. Our secondary is playing better, out DL is doing well. Of course we have spots that could use upgrades but MLB is the only real hole that was a bandaid on it right now with a 36 yr old there who was an upgrade over mays.
    Carter has shown to be better than Moore. You can't really knock him for being hurt right now.

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Quote Originally Posted by dbfan2007 View Post
    Carter has shown to be better than Moore. You can't really knock him for being hurt right now.
    I am saying we have not see much from any draft picks produce in the middle rounds in last 2 years. We have Miller and Wolfe as the real producers in the defense in last 2 years followed by Moore who was also a 2nd round. But IMO we have been missing on the middle draft picks.

11. The Following User High Fived NightTerror218 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Valid point. My only rebuttal would be this. Who would you rather starting right now. Keith Brooking or Kevin Minter? Joe Mays or Mike Mauti? I think any of the kids coming out would be an immediate upgrade. yes...Te'o would be the first choice, by far. And I even said I'd be willing to give up a little bit to move up for him. I just think the other options are viable enough to not have to sell the future for the kid

Adopted Bronco:

I am saying we have not see much from any draft picks produce in the middle rounds in last 2 years. We have Miller and Wolfe as the real producers in the defense in last 2 years followed by Moore who was also a 2nd round. But IMO we have been missing on the middle draft picks.
    A lot of that has to do with luck. I think the guys we've drafted in the middle rounds were solid picks where we took them. But like many players...they just haven't panned out for us. Hopefully that luck will change.

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

A lot of that has to do with luck. I think the guys we've drafted in the middle rounds were solid picks where we took them. But like many players...they just haven't panned out for us. Hopefully that luck will change.
    As you move down in the draft the odds of hitting on a player who does not bust goes down. earlier rounds have the best odds of a good player. Common sense. but as of know I would take Keith Brookings over most rookies cause the only 1 I have watched is T'eo. Brookings has made a difference with him being in the game. he has take away some of the middle that Mays left open.

I think he played rugby in hs.

Adopted Bronco:
    KJ Hamler

Of course we have spots that could use upgrades but MLB is the only real hole that was a bandaid on it right now with a 36 yr old there who was an upgrade over mays.
    This is where I fall on the issue. MLB is the most glaring need on the team. We need someone in that spot who can immediately elevate the level of play there. Brooking is stop gap. Players that can had later in the draft "might" be able to come in and play well. I believe in known quantities. Great defenses are made with great players. Manti T'eo definitely fits that description IMO. He has played the position at a very high level against very solid competition. Nothing wrong with having at least one Pro Bowl level player at each level on defense. If they have a realistic shot to land him, it's a no brainer in my book.

17. The Following User High Fived Traveler For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    This is where I fall on the issue. MLB is the most glaring need on the team. We need someone in that spot who can immediately elevate the level of play there. Brooking is stop gap. Players that can had later in the draft "might" be able to come in and play well. I believe in known quantities. Great defenses are made with great players. Manti T'eo definitely fits that description IMO. He has played the position at a very high level against very solid competition. Nothing wrong with having at least one Pro Bowl level player at each level on defense. If they have a realistic shot to land him, it's a no brainer in my book.
    Exactly. But that's where the question lies. What is the definition of a realistic shot?

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Exactly. But that's where the question lies. What is the definition of a realistic shot?
    Historically speaking not many ILB are taken in the top 10. If we end up with pick 24 or something. Based on what it was last year to move around. It was a 4th to move up in the teens (mid to lower) and a 5ht (like us) to move around in the 20s. I would throw in our 4th to move up and possibly a later round like 6 too.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information