Page 396 of 420 FirstFirst ... 296 346 386 394 395 396 397 398 406 ... LastLast
Results 5,926 to 5,940 of 6294

Thread: THE official Colorado Avalanche/NHL thread!!!

  1. #5926
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,
    Posts
    43,355

    Default Colorado Avalanche sign Cale Makar. Rookie defenseman will join the team immediately for the playoffs

    The Colorado Avalanche signed UMass sophomore Cale Makar to a three-year, entry-level contract Sunday morning. The 20-year-old defenseman will join the Avs immediately, the team announced.

    Makar, 20, was named the Hobey Baker Award winner Friday as the best player in college hockey. He led all NCAA defensemen with 49 points (16 goals) this past season and helped the Minutemen to a runner-up finish in the Frozen Four, where they fell to Minnesota Duluth in Saturday’s national championship.

    The 6-foot, 192-pounder was Colorado’s No. 4 overall pick in the 2017 draft. He wore his UMass jersey to the postgame press conference Saturday night and said he was undecided about what his future held, but clearly saw the potential of turning pro in the hours since.
    rest - https://www.denverpost.com/2019/04/1...ns-cale-makar/

    Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

  2. #5927
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fulshear, TX
    Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam
    Posts
    35,451

    Default

    The Avs did exactly what I said they should've done...played physical and pushed the pace...and won.

    During the broadcast Chicken Parm brought up a good point about Makar's contract. Him playing ONE game burns an entire year of his entry level deal. How smart is it, really, for the Avs to play him right now?
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

  3. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:


  4. #5928
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    Chris Harris Jr.
    Posts
    18,065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    The Avs did exactly what I said they should've done...played physical and pushed the pace...and won.

    During the broadcast Chicken Parm brought up a good point about Makar's contract. Him playing ONE game burns an entire year of his entry level deal. How smart is it, really, for the Avs to play him right now?
    Yeah, pushing the pace was uuuuuuuuuge. I think they will win it if they turn it into the hockey equivalent of the 5th round of an MMA fight where you got nothing left but your cardiovascular conditioning and will...

  5. #5929
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fulshear, TX
    Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam
    Posts
    35,451

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Yeah, pushing the pace was uuuuuuuuuge. I think they will win it if they turn it into the hockey equivalent of the 5th round of an MMA fight where you got nothing left but your cardiovascular conditioning and will...
    The Avs just aren't a physical team. They're a finesse team. Seeing them play physical hockey last night was awesome.

    My one gripe is Keefoot. Get that moron off of the top line and switch his roster spot with Jost.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

  6. #5930
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    Chris Harris Jr.
    Posts
    18,065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    The Avs just aren't a physical team. They're a finesse team. Seeing them play physical hockey last night was awesome.

    My one gripe is Keefoot. Get that moron off of the top line and switch his roster spot with Jost.
    They seems to channel their viking blood when they play more of a warrior brand of hockey. I don't see them being a physically dominant team in the sense of punishing hits and so forth, but I can see them as gritty warriors who can skate their opponents into submission.

    How much of this shit am I just pulling out of my ass?

  7. #5931
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Centennial (which is in Colorado)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Meck
    Posts
    21,649

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    The Avs did exactly what I said they should've done...played physical and pushed the pace...and won.

    During the broadcast Chicken Parm brought up a good point about Makar's contract. Him playing ONE game burns an entire year of his entry level deal. How smart is it, really, for the Avs to play him right now?
    Depends. Is Girard in or out?

    If the avs were 0-2, I wouldn't even consider it. But if Girard is hurt, and series is 1-1 going back to Denver... I'd definitely give him a skate and see if I think he could help. What's the point of saving him for? I get the protection against the expansion draft, but you are in the playoffs now. There's no guarantee of that next year, no matter how good the team looks on paper.

    Also, you have to consider what the kid wants to do. It's a bad look to tell your new start player "no, you can't play", or your team "no, we aren't giving you a Hobey Baker winner to help out." I definitely would not want to have either of those convo's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Anyway, I sure can ramble. But I have a point.

  8. #5932
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fulshear, TX
    Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam
    Posts
    35,451

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    Depends. Is Girard in or out?

    If the avs were 0-2, I wouldn't even consider it. But if Girard is hurt, and series is 1-1 going back to Denver... I'd definitely give him a skate and see if I think he could help. What's the point of saving him for? I get the protection against the expansion draft, but you are in the playoffs now. There's no guarantee of that next year, no matter how good the team looks on paper.

    Also, you have to consider what the kid wants to do. It's a bad look to tell your new start player "no, you can't play", or your team "no, we aren't giving you a Hobey Baker winner to help out." I definitely would not want to have either of those convo's.
    Honestly? With the current state of this series and the up-tick in physicality, I'd rather see Ryan Graves at this point than Makar. Graves has some offensive ability. He can pass, skate, shoot, hit, etc. He's really green, but if you paired him up with a guy like Ian Cole or Nemeth, he'd be fine. I wouldn't want to see him paired up with Barrie because Barrie pinches in so much and I wouldn't want to see Graves caught off-guard out of position. Wouldn't want to see him with Big Z either. But I think Graves is a better option.

    That said, if Makar comes in and plays, I won't be unhappy.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

  9. #5933
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Centennial (which is in Colorado)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Meck
    Posts
    21,649

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    Honestly? With the current state of this series and the up-tick in physicality, I'd rather see Ryan Graves at this point than Makar. Graves has some offensive ability. He can pass, skate, shoot, hit, etc. He's really green, but if you paired him up with a guy like Ian Cole or Nemeth, he'd be fine. I wouldn't want to see him paired up with Barrie because Barrie pinches in so much and I wouldn't want to see Graves caught off-guard out of position. Wouldn't want to see him with Big Z either. But I think Graves is a better option.

    That said, if Makar comes in and plays, I won't be unhappy.
    I like Graves better than most, and the few times we got to see him play this season, he looked pretty decent. He's still a fairly significant step down from Girard though the way he's played so far in this series. But Makar is a big question mark for me. I'm not good at comparing NCAA to NHL and he's clearly had no time at all to get in sync with his new teammates, so obviously Bednar will need to look to see if he'll be a help or a liability right now.

    Having said that, if Graves plays, I won't be unhappy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Anyway, I sure can ramble. But I have a point.

  10. #5934
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Centennial (which is in Colorado)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Meck
    Posts
    21,649

    Default

    Looks moot at this point. Girard is out, and Makar is in.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Anyway, I sure can ramble. But I have a point.

  11. The Following User High Fived wayninja For This Post:


  12. #5935
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fulshear, TX
    Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam
    Posts
    35,451

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    I like Graves better than most, and the few times we got to see him play this season, he looked pretty decent. He's still a fairly significant step down from Girard though the way he's played so far in this series. But Makar is a big question mark for me. I'm not good at comparing NCAA to NHL and he's clearly had no time at all to get in sync with his new teammates, so obviously Bednar will need to look to see if he'll be a help or a liability right now.

    Having said that, if Graves plays, I won't be unhappy.
    Girard's puck handling and skating are top-notch, but he's so small and so timid with being hit that sometimes it scares me when you have a guy like Tkachuk coming down the circles at him. I think what Graves brings in physicality combined with his skating and scoring ability would be a wash with what Girard offers.

    But yeah, seeing Makar practicing on the PP makes this conversation moot.

    Guess we'll see. I'm running on about 4.5 hours of sleep today, so hopefully I can stay up long enough to watch.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

  13. #5936
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Centennial (which is in Colorado)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Meck
    Posts
    21,649

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    Girard's puck handling and skating are top-notch, but he's so small and so timid with being hit that sometimes it scares me when you have a guy like Tkachuk coming down the circles at him. I think what Graves brings in physicality combined with his skating and scoring ability would be a wash with what Girard offers.
    Did you notice that Z's hit early in game 2 essentially took Tkachuck out for the rest of the game? He didn't play physically at all after that. I would not be surprised of Tkachuck is hurt.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Anyway, I sure can ramble. But I have a point.

  14. #5937
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fulshear, TX
    Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam
    Posts
    35,451

    Default

    Holy shit. No, I didn't see that hit. Good gravy.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

  15. The Following 2 Users High Fived SR For This Post:


  16. #5938
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    Chris Harris Jr.
    Posts
    18,065

    Default

    "And here comes Zadorov. And he smmmmmmmoked 'im."


  17. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:


  18. #5939
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    Chris Harris Jr.
    Posts
    18,065

    Default

    Decent!


  19. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:


  20. #5940

    Default

    Y’all killing the Flames right now.
    Life don't seem like it be that way but it do.

  21. The Following User High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:


Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8360
    Last Post: 06-30-2019, 04:57 PM
  2. The Official Oil and Gas Thread
    By Rex in forum What's on your Mind (Chit Chat)
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 07-06-2017, 03:15 PM
  3. Official Rap/Hip hop thread
    By bengaaaaals1688 in forum Music
    Replies: 758
    Last Post: 04-02-2012, 09:56 AM
  4. Official UFC thread!
    By Calibroncogrl47 in forum Other Sports
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-05-2008, 02:49 PM
  5. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-16-2007, 12:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
status.broncosforums.com - BroncosForums status updates
Partner with the USA Today Sports Media Group