Page 396 of 502 FirstFirst ... 296 346 386 394 395 396 397 398 406 446 496 ... LastLast
Results 5,926 to 5,940 of 7516

Thread: THE official Colorado Avalanche/NHL thread!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Colorado Avalanche sign Cale Makar. Rookie defenseman will join the team immediately for the playoffs

The Colorado Avalanche signed UMass sophomore Cale Makar to a three-year, entry-level contract Sunday morning. The 20-year-old defenseman will join the Avs immediately, the team announced.

Makar, 20, was named the Hobey Baker Award winner Friday as the best player in college hockey. He led all NCAA defensemen with 49 points (16 goals) this past season and helped the Minutemen to a runner-up finish in the Frozen Four, where they fell to Minnesota Duluth in Saturday’s national championship.

The 6-foot, 192-pounder was Colorado’s No. 4 overall pick in the 2017 draft. He wore his UMass jersey to the postgame press conference Saturday night and said he was undecided about what his future held, but clearly saw the potential of turning pro in the hours since.
    rest - https://www.denverpost.com/2019/04/1...ns-cale-makar/

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

The Avs did exactly what I said they should've done...played physical and pushed the pace...and won.

During the broadcast Chicken Parm brought up a good point about Makar's contract. Him playing ONE game burns an entire year of his entry level deal. How smart is it, really, for the Avs to play him right now?
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

3. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    The Avs did exactly what I said they should've done...played physical and pushed the pace...and won.

During the broadcast Chicken Parm brought up a good point about Makar's contract. Him playing ONE game burns an entire year of his entry level deal. How smart is it, really, for the Avs to play him right now?
    Yeah, pushing the pace was uuuuuuuuuge. I think they will win it if they turn it into the hockey equivalent of the 5th round of an MMA fight where you got nothing left but your cardiovascular conditioning and will...

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Yeah, pushing the pace was uuuuuuuuuge. I think they will win it if they turn it into the hockey equivalent of the 5th round of an MMA fight where you got nothing left but your cardiovascular conditioning and will...
    The Avs just aren't a physical team. They're a finesse team. Seeing them play physical hockey last night was awesome.

My one gripe is Keefoot. Get that moron off of the top line and switch his roster spot with Jost.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

The Avs just aren't a physical team. They're a finesse team. Seeing them play physical hockey last night was awesome.

My one gripe is Keefoot. Get that moron off of the top line and switch his roster spot with Jost.
    They seems to channel their viking blood when they play more of a warrior brand of hockey. I don't see them being a physically dominant team in the sense of punishing hits and so forth, but I can see them as gritty warriors who can skate their opponents into submission.

How much of this shit am I just pulling out of my ass?

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Depends. Is Girard in or out?

If the avs were 0-2, I wouldn't even consider it. But if Girard is hurt, and series is 1-1 going back to Denver... I'd definitely give him a skate and see if I think he could help. What's the point of saving him for? I get the protection against the expansion draft, but you are in the playoffs now. There's no guarantee of that next year, no matter how good the team looks on paper.

Also, you have to consider what the kid wants to do. It's a bad look to tell your new start player "no, you can't play", or your team "no, we aren't giving you a Hobey Baker winner to help out." I definitely would not want to have either of those convo's.
    I want to be sympathetic, but one should not have sympathy for inauthentic sorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Its like Save the Rainforest. People aren't saying, 'F**ck those other forests', its just that this particular forest is in worse shape right now.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    Depends. Is Girard in or out?

If the avs were 0-2, I wouldn't even consider it. But if Girard is hurt, and series is 1-1 going back to Denver... I'd definitely give him a skate and see if I think he could help. What's the point of saving him for? I get the protection against the expansion draft, but you are in the playoffs now. There's no guarantee of that next year, no matter how good the team looks on paper.

Also, you have to consider what the kid wants to do. It's a bad look to tell your new start player "no, you can't play", or your team "no, we aren't giving you a Hobey Baker winner to help out." I definitely would not want to have either of those convo's.
    Honestly? With the current state of this series and the up-tick in physicality, I'd rather see Ryan Graves at this point than Makar. Graves has some offensive ability. He can pass, skate, shoot, hit, etc. He's really green, but if you paired him up with a guy like Ian Cole or Nemeth, he'd be fine. I wouldn't want to see him paired up with Barrie because Barrie pinches in so much and I wouldn't want to see Graves caught off-guard out of position. Wouldn't want to see him with Big Z either. But I think Graves is a better option.

That said, if Makar comes in and plays, I won't be unhappy.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Honestly? With the current state of this series and the up-tick in physicality, I'd rather see Ryan Graves at this point than Makar. Graves has some offensive ability. He can pass, skate, shoot, hit, etc. He's really green, but if you paired him up with a guy like Ian Cole or Nemeth, he'd be fine. I wouldn't want to see him paired up with Barrie because Barrie pinches in so much and I wouldn't want to see Graves caught off-guard out of position. Wouldn't want to see him with Big Z either. But I think Graves is a better option.

That said, if Makar comes in and plays, I won't be unhappy.
    I like Graves better than most, and the few times we got to see him play this season, he looked pretty decent. He's still a fairly significant step down from Girard though the way he's played so far in this series. But Makar is a big question mark for me. I'm not good at comparing NCAA to NHL and he's clearly had no time at all to get in sync with his new teammates, so obviously Bednar will need to look to see if he'll be a help or a liability right now.

Having said that, if Graves plays, I won't be unhappy.
    I want to be sympathetic, but one should not have sympathy for inauthentic sorrow.
    Its like Save the Rainforest. People aren't saying, 'F**ck those other forests', its just that this particular forest is in worse shape right now.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Looks moot at this point. Girard is out, and Makar is in.

11. The Following User High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    I like Graves better than most, and the few times we got to see him play this season, he looked pretty decent. He's still a fairly significant step down from Girard though the way he's played so far in this series. But Makar is a big question mark for me. I'm not good at comparing NCAA to NHL and he's clearly had no time at all to get in sync with his new teammates, so obviously Bednar will need to look to see if he'll be a help or a liability right now.

Having said that, if Graves plays, I won't be unhappy.
    Girard's puck handling and skating are top-notch, but he's so small and so timid with being hit that sometimes it scares me when you have a guy like Tkachuk coming down the circles at him. I think what Graves brings in physicality combined with his skating and scoring ability would be a wash with what Girard offers.

But yeah, seeing Makar practicing on the PP makes this conversation moot.

Guess we'll see. I'm running on about 4.5 hours of sleep today, so hopefully I can stay up long enough to watch.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Girard's puck handling and skating are top-notch, but he's so small and so timid with being hit that sometimes it scares me when you have a guy like Tkachuk coming down the circles at him. I think what Graves brings in physicality combined with his skating and scoring ability would be a wash with what Girard offers.
    Did you notice that Z's hit early in game 2 essentially took Tkachuck out for the rest of the game? He didn't play physically at all after that. I would not be surprised of Tkachuck is hurt.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Holy shit. No, I didn't see that hit. Good gravy.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

"And here comes Zadorov. And he smmmmmmmoked 'im."

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Decent!

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Y’all killing the Flames right now.

21. The Following User High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information