Page 337 of 502 FirstFirst ... 237 287 327 335 336 337 338 339 347 387 437 ... LastLast
Results 5,041 to 5,055 of 7516

Thread: THE official Colorado Avalanche/NHL thread!!!

There were a few close calls. We also had some good chances too. Their game tying goal was lucky, bouncing off of Guennins? leg. Puck was at other end of ice so I couldnt tell who it was.

I like the zone better, so far. We still cough the puck up in our zone waaaaay too much. Way too much. But it seemed to be working. For a while there we were outshooting them by a lot. For us this year, that has not been the case. I was impressed.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Avalanche pleased, stick with zone defense after shift from man-to-man

Wearied and wearing thin with just three victories in its first 14 games, coach Patrick Roy dropped the hammer on the Avalanche on Thursday. He tore down the team's whole approach.

Roy suddenly scuttled their year-old man-to-man defensive scheme. He replaced it with a more traditional zone coverage.

It was a huge shift for the Avs, beyond some wonky hockey X's and O's. It was a core philosophical change.

It worked. The Avs took down Toronto in Colorado on Thursday with a 4-3 shootout victory.
    rest - http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...t-from-man-man

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

6-0 loss to the Islanders? Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    6-0 loss to the Islanders? Ouch!
    Hey, it could always be worse. At least you're not the Oilers.

They're on pace to make the playoffs in 2122 at this rate.
    Go Broncos!

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

I hate to say it but the Avs need to do something drastic and quickly. I think it's going to have to be a trade for a legitimate top two defenseman and I think it's going to cost us something like Landy and a first or O'Reilly and two firsts. No, I'm not suggesting trading Landy, just using that as an example.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

6. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    I hate to say it but the Avs need to do something drastic and quickly. I think it's going to have to be a trade for a legitimate top two defenseman and I think it's going to cost us something like Landy and a first or O'Reilly and two firsts. No, I'm not suggesting trading Landy, just using that as an example.
    I was watching the game last night on Altitude and the dude's in between periods were talking about the disappointing play of the top 2 lines. They have a combined total of 18 goals in 17 games (not counting special teams) and they are something like a -36 going into the game yesterday.

Your post is kind of interesting because people at work have been talking in some time about a slow start leading to a desperation trade that would cost us someone young and legit.

I don't know the makings of NHL transactions but considering the struggles of the top 2 lines if that guy is correct, trading a young Calder winner for a defensemen, I would really start questioning what the organization is doing. Seems to me they need offense more than defense.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    I was watching the game last night on Altitude and the dude's in between periods were talking about the disappointing play of the top 2 lines. They have a combined total of 18 goals in 17 games (not counting special teams) and they are something like a -36 going into the game yesterday. Your post is kind of interesting because people at work have been talking in some time about a slow start leading to a desperation trade that would cost us someone young and legit. I don't know the makings of NHL transactions but considering the struggles of the top 2 lines if that guy is correct, trading a young Calder winner for a defensemen, I would really start questioning what the organization is doing. Seems to me they need offense more than defense.
    They're very deep on offense. If, hypothetically, getting rid of a guy like Matt Duchene could get us a guy like Shea Weber, I wouldn't ever hesitate to pull that trigger. Is a trade of that magnitude likely? No. However, a bonafide stud defenseman like a Shea Weber or a Duncan Keith are exponentially harder to come by than a top six forward. I would absolutely hate to see any of our young talent get traded away but if doing so means we get a stud D-man...yes please.

As far as needing offense more than defense...I'm a defenseman by nature so my argument will always be pro-defense. A loss like last night...6-0...the defense never gave the offense a chance. If the offense isn't scoring like the Avs, solid defensive play is what is going to get the team out of a funk. Bad defensive play/players let in goals...not the goalie. Obviously goalies give up goals in the literal sense but the goalies are only as good as their defense will let them be. So if that is the biggest breakdown on the team, the offense really doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Sorry for the Joel post.

Adopted Bronco:

Default Joe Sakic joins Avalanche practice in preparation for old-timer's game

NEWARK, N.J. — Joe Sakic took to the ice Friday at the Prudential Center, because he's got a game to play in two days. But no, he's not coming out of retirement to play for the Avalanche.

Sakic wanted to get in some ice time because he'll play in an old-timer's game Sunday in Toronto, as part of Hall of Fame festivities. Two of Sakic's former teammates, Peter Forsberg and Rob Blake, will be inducted into the Hall of Fame on Monday night.

Otherwise, it was a pretty uneventful practice for the Avs, who play the New Jersey Devils on Saturday night here.
    rest - http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...ion-old-timers

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

The Avs won two games in a row against two good east coast teams and are almost back to .500. With a long break ahead of them (they don't play until Thursday) hopefully they can work on stuff and come out on fire ready to make a push.

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived SR For This Post:

Both well played games too. Hopefully they can keep it rolling.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    Both well played games too. Hopefully they can keep it rolling.
    I'm hoping they take this time to polish up their zone scheme and aggressive play.

Played very well last night just couldn't finish - crazy goal by Ovechkin there in the 3rd.

Adopted Bronco:

Adrian Dater
    Patrick Roy gives update on Tanguay

http://www.tout.com/m/q3ak1b?ref=twmei0xa

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

Adopted Bronco:

Default Avs' Erik Johnson recovering from head injury; Semyon Varlamov to IR

Erik Johnson, checked to the head Tuesday night in Arizona by Martin Hanzal, will be a game-time decision for Wednesday's Avalanche game with the Chicago Blackhawks.

If Johnson can't play, Karl Stollery will take his spot in the lineup for the injury-ravaged Avs. Stollery, who played some with the Avs last season, was recalled Wednesday morning from Lake Erie of the American Hockey League.

Calvin Pickard, who has earned victories in his last two games while coming on in relief of Reto Berra, will start in goal against the Blackhawks.
    rest - http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...-injury-semyon

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

Adopted Bronco:

Default More injuries for Avalanche; Semyon Varlamov not ready to return

The injuries to Avalanche forwards continue to stack up, and reinforcements from the American Hockey League are on their way.

John Mitchell re-injured his leg and Marc-Andre Cliche sustained an oblique injury in Saturday's 5-2 win over the Dallas Stars. And, on Sunday, coach Patrick Roy said Jamie McGinn might undergo season-ending back surgery. Fellow forwards Dennis Everberg (shoulder), Ben Street (hand), Jesse Winchester (head) and Patrick Bordeleau (back) skated Sunday but remain unavailable.

Defenseman Brad Stuart (hamstring) is also out as the Avs continue on with just six defensemen.

Roy said multiple forwards from the Lake Erie Monsters will be called up to replace Mitchell and Cliche.
    rest - http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...s-varlamov-not

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information