Page 53 of 502 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 103 153 ... LastLast

Thread: THE official Colorado Avalanche/NHL thread!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Stokley, Miller, Wolfe

Former Avalanche coach Joel Quenneville interviewed for the San Jose Sharks' coaching position, but the job is going to Red Wings assistant Todd McLellan.

This is really interesting. So McLellan did take a head job. Man I can hear it now, if we had just waited.... I hope we have a great year and the Sharks are ok..... Thanks BA for all the info...
    Getting Stoked

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

pn, did you get my PM about the picture?
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    Stokley, Miller, Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    pn, did you get my PM about the picture?
    Yes I did, thank you very much for you nice note. I'm glad you made it back safe. I'm having a tough day, so send another one....
    Getting Stoked

Avs trade for center Sertich
    By The Denver Post
    Article Last Updated: 06/10/2008 06:54:43 PM MDT

Colorado College's Marty Sertich, right, in the semifinals of the NCAA hockey Midwest Regional in 2006. (AP | MIKE ROEMER)The Avalanche on Tuesday traded for center Marty Sertich, sending a draft choice to the Dallas Stars in exchange for the former Colorado College star.

Sertich, 25, led the Iowa Stars of the American Hockey League in scoring last season with 52 points (27 goals, 25 assists) in 79 games. Sertich played four seasons at Colorado College and he won the Hobey Baker award as college hockey's best player in 2005. That season, he was second in the nation in goals with 27 and in assists with 37, as the Tigers qualified for the Frozen Four.

Sertich ranks 12th all time at CC in scoring with 166 points and seventh in assists with 121. The Stars signed him as a free agent in 2006.

In exchange, the Avalanche sent Dallas a conditional pick in the 2009 draft.

-------------------

I watched this kid play locally here in Colorado Springs. I love this trade.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    It's gonna be hockey season again before we know it.

I realized today that Brad Stuart is a UFA. So is that Orpik guy from Pittsburgh that I like so much.
    both are really good players and stuart would really help your PP.

Orpik plays tough but would never end up on my team due to him breaking Eric Coles next 2 years ago even if the hit was not on purpose as he says.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Yesterday, 11:59 AM
    the Avalanche on Tuesday acquired former Colorado College standout Marty Sertich from the Dallas Stars.
    Oh to slow Mike! lol!

Good add for depth, being a smaller center I assume that Marty is a pick up for Lake Erie at the moment and he will get a shot in training camp.

Avs talk contracts with Foote, Sauer
    By Rick Sadowski, Rocky Mountain News

The agents for defensemen Adam Foote and Kurt Sauer have had preliminary contract talks with the Avalanche and expect to resume discussions shortly before or during the June 20-21 NHL draft.

Foote and Sauer will be eligible for unrestricted free agency on July 1.

The Avalanche reacquired Foote from the Columbus Blue Jackets on Feb. 26 and will part with this year's first-round pick (19th overall) because the team made the playoffs. If Foote is re-signed, the Blue Jackets also would receive the Avalanche's fourth-round selection in 2009.

Foote, who turns 37 next month, had one assist in 12 regular-season games with the Avalanche and, with defense partner Sauer, limited Minnesota's star forward, Marian Gaborik, to one assist in the first round of the playoffs.

Foote, who made $4.6 million in 2007-08, had one goal, 15 assists, 107 penalty minutes and a plus-2 rating in 75 games overall while averaging 23:23 in ice time.

"We're looking forward to having another discussion some time in the near future," Rick Curran, Foote's agent, said Thursday. "I would suspect at the latest we'll get an opportunity of speaking when we're both in Ottawa for the draft," he added, referring to Avalanche general manager Francois Giguere.

"I can tell you that it's no secret that Adam made his move from Columbus to Colorado because that's where he wanted to go. He was delighted to be back and he knows he can still play.

"I'm hopeful that we can work something out that he can stay, and I do believe that that would be Colorado's intentions."

Sauer's agent, Ben Hankinson, said the Avalanche has expressed some interest in re-signing his client, who was a bargain in 2007-08 with a $719,250 salary.

Sauer, 27, had one goal, five assists, 41 penalty minutes and a plus-17 rating in 54 games while averaging 18:41 in ice time. He missed 28 games because of a neck injury.

"I've had one conversation so far with the Avs in regards to Kurt," Hankinson said. "I think we probably will talk again around draft time. There's nothing significant to report so far. They have expressed interest to bring him back. I guess we'll know more as we get closer to July 1.

"I hope it works out. I wouldn't say 100 percent that their intentions are to bring him back. It depends, obviously, on the money and Joe (Sakic) and everything else - the other defensemen. I probably will know more after the draft."

The Avalanche is still waiting to hear if Sakic will return for a 20th NHL season or retire.
    Last edited by BroncoAV06; 06-13-2008 at 01:36 PM.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Medford Bronco View Post
    both are really good players and stuart would really help your PP.

Orpik plays tough but would never end up on my team due to him breaking Eric Coles next 2 years ago even if the hit was not on purpose as he says.
    I remember that play on Coles too.

Aside from that Orpik is a badass. In the conference semis I was watching Pittsburgh and that dude skated all the way down the ice, through the neutral zone and all, with the puck and made a badass pass that got fumbled by the recipient of said pass, then chased down the opposing player who recovered it and BLASTED him. That's the kind of D-man I want on my team.

8. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

It worries me that Joe is taking this long. Within a few days after the end of last season he re-signed. I've said before and I'll say it again, I think Joe is gonna hang it up.

The Joe Sakic wait continues.

Sakic’s agent, Don Baizley, said Monday that the Avalanche captain is still pondering whether to return for a 20th NHL season or to retire.

“He hasn’t made any decision yet,” Baizley said.

Baizley also represents Peter Forsberg and said he hasn’t spoken with the 34-year-old forward for a while but expects to do so within the next few days.

But Baizley added that he doesn’t think “anything is imminent” with Sakic or Forsberg concerning their futures.

Avalanche general manager Francois Giguere is giving Sakic all the time he needs to make a decision but would like to know before July 1, when the NHL’s free agent period begins.

Giguere said, following league meetings in Detroit two weeks ago, that Forsberg was visiting a doctor in Sweden to determine if he can physically handle another season.

“I think his will to want to play is there,” Giguere said. “Now there’s a question medically, does he think that he’s capable of playing a full season?”

Giguere will be among the Avalanche contingent in Ottawa for the NHL entry draft Friday and Saturday.

The Avalanche traded its first-round pick (19th overall) to Columbus in February to acquire defenseman Adam Foote. So, barring a trade, the Avalanche won’t select until the second round (50th overall) on Saturday
    http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...ion-yet-sakic/

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

http://www.pepsicenter.com/Events/Ev...d=znWHdQb9GeQ=

Colorado Avalanche Equipment Sale
    Saturday, June 21, 10:00 AM

Colorado Avalanche fans, here's your chance to purchase one-of-a-kind Avalanche memorabilia!

On Saturday, June 21, the Avs will conducts its annual Equipment Sale from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. in the Grand Atrium of Pepsi Center.

Among the items being sold:
    # Game-used hockey equipment
    # Authentic training camp practice jerseys
    # Autographed memorabilia
    # Pro-stock hockey sticks
    # Protective equipment
    # Hockey skates (in varying degrees of use)
    # Team-issued merchandise and officially licensed apparel
    # Goalie equipment

Please note that the sale is only open to the general public on Saturday, June 21 from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Items purchased are strictly for personal use and/or collection. Further, any items purchased at this sale are done so under the agreement that they are not to be re-sold to collectors or any other outside parties. The Avalanche on-site staff reserves the right to refuse entry and/or rescind purchasing privileges at their discretion.

The Avalanche Equipment Sale is intended to show the team's appreciation for the support of its fans who support the team on a day-to-day basis. As such, the team is unable to sell any items over the phone, internet or by mail.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Avs select seven in 08 entry draft:
    DENVER – The Colorado Avalanche selected defenseman Cameron Gaunce with its first choice (50th overall) in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft held today at Scotiabank Place in Ottawa, Ontario. Gaunce was the first of seven draft picks the Avalanche made in today’s draft.

Gaunce, a 6’1”, 203-pound defenseman from Sudbury, Ontario played last season with Mississauga St. Michael’s of the Ontario Hockey League. Last season, he led all defensemen on his team in scoring with 40 points (10g/30a) in 63 games during his rookie campaign in the OHL. He was voted to the 2007-08 OHL All Rookie Team and was recipient of the 2007-08 Majors Tim Horton Defenseman of the Year award.

“A million thoughts are going through my head right now. It’s hard to describe the feeling,” said Gaunce. “I can’t put the sheer excitement and enjoyment of this experience into words. It kind of hit me when I heard my name called, but I still haven’t quite come to grips with being drafted by the Avalanche organization.”

Here is a summary of today’s seven selections:

• The Avalanche obtained a second round pick (61st overall) from the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for forward Brad Richardson and selected goaltender Peter Delmas, from Alliston, Ontario. The 6’ 2”, 170-pound netminder was ranked third among draft-eligible North American goaltenders by the Central Scouting Bureau. He played last season with Lewiston of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, posting an impressive 2.84 goals against average with a .903 save percentage. He was named to the 2007 QMJHL All-Rookie Team after leading all QMJHL goaltenders with a 2.81 goals against average during the 2006-07 season.

Central Scouting Report on Delmas: “Peter is a laid back and confident goalie. He doesn't get too excited and he isn't an aggressive type of goalie, but he is very calm…He's not flashy, but his positioning and movements are excellent…He showed very well at the Top Prospects game and even though he's a laid back guy he held his ground very well…He has a very good glove hand and good rebound control."

• With its third pick (4th round, 110th overall) the Avalanche selected center Kelsey Tessier from the Quebec Remparts of the QMJHL. A 5’9”, 170-pound native of Moncton, New Brunswick, Tessier led the Remparts in scoring last season with 81 points (36g/45a) in 68 games. He lists the Avalanche as his favorite NHL team with Joe Sakic as his favorite NHL player.

Central Scouting Report on Tessier: “Kelsey is really a hard working player; he is an effective forechecker, used in all situations both on the power-play and on the penalty kill.”

Colorado’s remaining draft choices:

• 5th round (140th overall) – Mark Olver (center), Northern Michigan (CCHA), 38 points (21g/17a) in 39 GP in 2007-08 season

• 6th round (167th overall) – Joel Chouinard (defenseman), Victoriaville (QMJHL), 35 points (7g/28a) in 69 GP in 2007-08 season

• 6th round (170th overall) – Jonas Holos (defenseman), Sparta Sarpsborg (Norway Elite League) 3g/20a in 40 GP in 2007-08 season

• 7th round (200th overall) – Nathan Condon (center), Wassau, Wisconsin (High School), 59 points (33g/26a) in 23 GP in 2007-08 season
    Little more on the players:
    http://avalanche.nhl.com/team/app/?s...ticleid=366621
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

12. The Following User High Fived BroncoAV06 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

The Avalanche signed forward Scott Parker on Tuesday to a one-year contract, agreed to terms on a long-term minor- league deal with forward Marty Sertich and acquired forward Matt Hendricks from Boston for defenseman Johnny Boychuk.

Parker, 30, signed a $500,000 deal, though if he ends up in the minors, he'll be paid $100,000.

He skated in his 300th NHL game Jan. 24 against Minnesota. In 25 games, he finished third among Avalanche players with 70 penalty minutes.

Colorado acquired Sertich, a Colorado College product, from Dallas on June 10.

Hendricks, who turned 27 last week, spent the 2007-08 season with the Providence (R.I.) Bruins of the American Hockey League, where he ranked fourth on the team in scoring with 52 points (22 goals, 30 assists) in 67 games.
    Well Parker will see a few games of action if that, with the new NHL his style is out but I still would love to see him throw down a few times if needed when he is in the line-up, a heavy weight for sure. Don't know about Matt Hendricks, Boychuck just did not seem like he would ever be able to crack the line-up.

Liles hopes to return:
    By Rick Sadowski, Rocky Mountain News
    There are no guarantees, but the agent for John-Michael Liles is hopeful he can reach a contract agreement with the Avalanche before the defenseman enters the open market next week.

Liles, 27, is one of eight unsigned players to finish the 2007-08 season with the Avalanche who are eligible for unrestricted free agency beginning July 1.

A young, mobile defenseman such as Liles, who made $1.4 million last season, would be certain to draw plenty of interest from other NHL teams.

Agent Joe Resnick said Tuesday he has had some "preliminary discussions" with Avalanche general manager Francois Giguere regarding Liles, who had his worst offensive showing in his four years with the team but still finished as the club's top-scoring defenseman with 32 points (six goals, 26 assists) in 81 games.

Liles added two goals and three assists in 10 playoff games.

"We're waiting to hear back from them," Resnick said. "I think J-M is a pretty special player and I hope we could reach a deal. But it's not up to me. It's up to the Avalanche. Our talks have been cordial - I'd say positive. We'd like to get a deal done."

Resnick also represents forward Wojtek Wolski, who is eligible for restricted free agency. The Avalanche was expected to tender Wolski, 22, a qualifying offer by today's league deadline to retain his signing rights.

"I'm assuming they will (tender an offer)," Resnick said.

Wolski fell out of favor at times with former coach Joel Quenneville and finished his second full NHL season with 18 goals and 30 assists in 77 games.

Wolski, who had two goals and eight assists in seven playoff games, suffered three broken ribs in the opener of the Western Conference semifinals against Detroit and missed the rest of the series.

Ben Hankinson, who represents defenseman Kurt Sauer, said he hasn't had any contact with the Avalanche since "one brief conversation a few weeks ago."

Sauer, 27, had one goal, five assists and a plus-17 rating in 54 games; he missed 28 games because of a neck injury. Sauer and defenseman Adam Foote, whom the Avalanche is expected to re-sign, helped limit Minnesota star Marian Gaborik to one assist in six games in the first round of the playoffs.

"I was hoping there would be a little more communication up until now," Hankinson said. "But they've got some other players that they need to identify as well."

Agent Rich Evans was awaiting a qualifying offer for restricted free-agent forward Marek Svatos, who had 26 goals despite missing the final 16 games because of a knee injury.

Svatos is getting married this week in Croatia, a wedding that will be attended by Avalanche captain Joe Sakic, who still hasn't decided whether to return for a 20th NHL season.

Sakic and Peter Forsberg, who has been consulting with doctors about his troublesome foot, won't make decisions concerning their futures by July 1.

Jose Theodore, Andrew Brunette and Jeff Finger are three other potential free agents.

The Avalanche has had contact with agents for Theodore and Finger, but Brunette and his agent, Don Reynolds, said Tuesday they haven't heard from the team since the season ended.

14. The Following User High Fived BroncoAV06 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

I'd like to see us keep Liles (even though I don't think we will) and go after a stud defenseman like Bouwmeester (sp?) or Mezzaros (sp?). I think a good compliment to our team would also be David Tanabe and he's scheduled to be a UFA. Bottom line, we need some muscle on D.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Looks like Toronto is going to look to trade Pavel Kubina. He's a hard hitting, physical defenseman that is good for 30-40 points per year. He's 6'4" and about 230 lbs. He's a mean mofo too. I'll bet Med can shed some light on him more than I can since he watches more eastern conference games than I do.

Adopted Bronco:
    Stokley, Miller, Wolfe

Yeah Med, only one post on this whole page. Man you are working too hard!

I was kinda of freaking out about Joe, but then driving home I remembered that when I asked him if would be in our golf tourn he said he was going to Europe for a couple of weeks. Thanks for the article BA, it said he was going to Svatos wedding, so I remembered correctly. So maybe we'll hear something when he gets back.

I really miss hockey and these great posts....
    Getting Stoked

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

His dad is from Croatia, so that's the main reason why he ended up going to Svatos's wedding.

Honestly, I think he's going to hang 'em up. I read somewhere that he's been in the gym pumping iron and running like crazy, but he's a freak. I think he's done, but either way I wish he would make up his damn mind before July 1st so we can fill the void via FA.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information