Page 52 of 502 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 102 152 ... LastLast

Thread: THE official Colorado Avalanche/NHL thread!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I have talked to a few people who have thrown out Granato's winning percentage as a coach in defense of the hiring. My simple question...if the FO felt that was any indicator of his coaching abilities, why was he demoted/fired/whatever?

Some say that he was young and inexperienced and that he has learned and grown over the last few years. My question, who has he learned from? Coach Q. No offense to Q, but if the team felt Q was the wrong direction for the club then why promote someone on his staff?

Why the rush? Why not let it play out, be patient, and interview some people before making a choice for ciminie sake.
    Maybe they did not want to have to shell out big money on a big name coach? Just because he was under Q does not mean he will run what Q ran. See if any articles come out in the coming weeks that can help explain more of the organizations decision.

Full transcript:
    http://avalanche.nhl.com/team/app/?s...ticleid=364130
    Francois Giguere: “Welcome everyone. I’m here today to announce the appointment of Tony Granato as the Avalanche head coach. Tony has gained tremendous coaching experience over the last five seasons behind the Avalanche bench. He has a great work ethic and knowledge of our organizational depth chart. He’s shown that he really cares about the success of our players. He’s also somebody who really enjoys working with our young and talented young players. I’ve had the opportunity over the years to meet many head coaches… and it started in 1990 with the Quebec Nordiques. Working closely with Tony over the past two years, he’s clearly shown to me that he has the necessary qualities required to be a very successful head coach for this franchise. He was my first choice and I am pleased to announce Tony as the new Avalanche head coach.”

Tony Granato: “Hello everybody, thank you all for coming. I have a special guest in the background that I have to acknowledge—actually a lot of special guests in the background. My son, Michael, graduated high school from Cherry Creek this morning. I apologize, Mike, for having to run out of the ceremony so quickly to get down here. Congratulations buddy, great job. Also in the back is the rest of my family. My other children Dominic, Nicholas and Gabriella, my wife Linda, my dad, my mother and father-in-law were in for the graduation. They get a bonus, they get to come to a press conference. Thank you guys for coming. It’s with tremendous honor, great excitement, enthusiasm and anticipation that I get to sit in front of you guys today as the new head coach of the Colorado Avalanche. Our goal as a team will remain the same. We will provide the fans with an exciting, up-tempo brand of hockey that they have been accustomed to seeing. As far as the standards that have been set since the team arrived here in Colorado 13 years ago, our goal will remain the same as well: to put a product on the ice that is exciting and capable of winning a Stanley Cup every single year. I am very confident in the direction and the way the team is heading. I love the players, I love the youth, the veterans, the core guys that we have here. It’s a great opportunity for someone to come in and take over the head coach (position). It’s everything you’d ever want to have in a team to come in and take over as head coach. I’m also very confident in supplying the leadership and energy and enthusiasm it takes to be successful and make sure that these guys continue to go in the right direction. We are very fortunate to be in a tremendous hockey market here, a wonderful community that I’m proud to be a part of. I’m looking forward to the many challenges that lie in front of us and also a lot of excitement as well.”

Francois, why now? Why not wait until after the Stanley Cup Finals to interview potential head coaching candidates?

Giguere: “When I started this process, I looked at what all the alternatives were going to be. The more I got into the process, and doing all the research I was doing, the more Tony kept coming back. To me, Tony is energetic, passionate, caring about all of our players, hard working, a smart hockey person. I was very impressed with the two years that we worked together. He has experience as a head coach, he’s been successful as an NHL head coach. I just thought he was the best candidate. Everyday when you go through the process, I got to the point where I was convinced that this was the guy for this team and the future of this team. And he was going to continue us on the right track.”
    Last edited by BroncoAV06; 05-23-2008 at 12:57 PM.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

Adopted Bronco:
    Stokley, Miller, Wolfe

They said on the news that Joe called him right after the announcement was made. I think Joe's in Canada right now. That the players really like Tony and it might influence some of the veterans decisions.
    Last edited by pnbronco; 05-23-2008 at 11:40 PM.
    Getting Stoked

3. The Following User High Fived pnbronco For This Post:

Yup called this hire on the OM right after Q got canned, which I had also called correctly when the Avs got bounced by the Dead Things.

I like Granato a lot since he is a former King, and wish him all the best in his second stint as Head Coach.

5. The Following User High Fived 24champbailey For This Post:

mmmm.

I am not thrilled about this, but not disappointed either. I think the things he learned from q, and others whilst watching will help him be a better coach.... And he definitely brings a better style of game plan ( ithink). Yet, there still is that arguement that the talent filled team he first had went no where, whats he got for this less talented club?

We shall see. HOnestly, if we can get 1 or 2 big names. Preferrable a ROCK defenseman with a BOMB slapshot, and a forward who wants to score goals. (by scoring goals i mean a guy who probably doesnt pass as much as he should, but is always breaking up ice, always crashing the net, might be lil bit of a puck hog, but just flat out scores.) Like a sid,ovech,iginla type. THos guys get it done.

Our team has a bunch of all around great players, but no real superstars that when they have the puck the other team is thinking OH-Sht!!

Fopa and joe have that but they are just getting over the hill.

If we can get 1 or 2 guys I dont think the coach will matter as much as the talent can carry the team.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

After the Red Wings are done signing and free agency opens up, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Colorado go after Hossa. We do need a stud defenseman first though. Yes, Clarke will be back, Foote said he would take a home town discount to sign with Colorado, Salei will be back, and we'll have a couple other familiar faces back there, but we need a big, strong, hard hitting and shooting defenseman.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    Stokley, Miller, Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    After the Red Wings are done signing and free agency opens up, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Colorado go after Hossa. We do need a stud defenseman first though. Yes, Clarke will be back, Foote said he would take a home town discount to sign with Colorado, Salei will be back, and we'll have a couple other familiar faces back there, but we need a big, strong, hard hitting and shooting defenseman.
    Really, Foote wants to stay and would take a discount to do it???? Thanks for the info...
    Getting Stoked

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Hannan needs to step up next year as well, Liles is the question mark, depending on what offeres he might see I wonder if he will be back. Would make sense to see the Avs do what they did last year 2 big splashes, 1 D/1 O (Hannan/Smyth) still have alot to sort out with the current free agents to be on the roster.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

http://www.9news.com/sports/article.aspx?storyid=92535

Avalanche captain Joe Sakic sits down with 9NEWS to talk about future and new head coach.
    When the Colorado Avalanche named Tony Granato as their new head coach late last week no one could have been happier then captain Joe Sakic.

The Avalanche captain sat down with 9NEWS Sports Anchor Susie Wargin and shared his thoughts on Granato taking over the head coaching duties for the second time.

But that is not the biggest thing on his mind right now.

Sakic is an unrestricted free agent and at 38 years old he must decide if he wants to come back or not.

Obviously, team management and Avalanche fans want him back but does Sakic's heart still burn to play.

He tells 9NEWS that he will make a quick decision.

Click on the video icon to hear the one on one sit down interview.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoAV06 View Post
    Hannan needs to step up next year as well, Liles is the question mark, depending on what offeres he might see I wonder if he will be back. Would make sense to see the Avs do what they did last year 2 big splashes, 1 D/1 O (Hannan/Smyth) still have alot to sort out with the current free agents to be on the roster.
    I was really disappointed with Hannan. Wouldn't bother me if he left.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    I was really disappointed with Hannan. Wouldn't bother me if he left.
    With his contract he is not going anywhere.

Avalanche Signs Peltier
    Defenseman Captained University of Minnesota in 07-08
    The Colorado Avalanche Hockey Club announced today that it has signed defenseman Derek Peltier to an entry-level contract.

Colorado’s fifth selection (sixth round, 184th overall) in the 2004 Entry Draft, Peltier (pronounced Pell-TEER) played four seasons at the University of Minnesota (WCHA). He served as the Gophers’ captain in 2007-08, appearing in all 45 games. The Plymouth, Minn., native led the Gophers defense in scoring this past season with 21 points (4g/17a).

Peltier, 23, joined Colorado’s American Hockey League affiliate, the Lake Erie Monsters, at the conclusion of his senior season at Minnesota. He recorded one assist in six games for the Monsters.

“We look forward to having Derek start his professional career with our organization,” said Avalanche Director of Player Development Craig Billington. “He culminated his four-year career at the University of Minnesota as team captain and was a valuable leader.”

Peltier, who missed only one game during his collegiate career, tallied 73 points (15g/58a) in 173 games with the Gophers

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

I've read a lot of good things about Peltier over the past couple of years. I was even fortunate enough to catch one of the Minnie games on TV this year. He looks like he's pretty solid at the college level, but I'm not sure how well that will translate to the NHL.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/scott_c...s=secStory_nhl
    A resurgent Avalanche team, digging into the past for their stretch run, made it to the second round of the NHL playoffs before they were sent packing by the eventual Stanley Cup champions.

Off-Season Game Plan looks at an Avalanche team in transition that could have massive turnover this summer.

Now that Tony Granato is returning behind the bench, it's up to general manager Francois Giguere to figure out which players Granato will have at his disposal.

The first order of business, in importance if not chronologically, is figuring out whether or not 38-year-old Joe Sakic is inclined to return following a season in which he played a career-low 44 games and had a career-low 40 points.

"I'll be the first one cheering," Giguere told the Rocky Mountain News about the possibility of Sakic returning. "Joe needs to take some time and see if that's the right thing for him and his family. He's been a great captain, a great ambassador for this organization and for this community."

As part of last year's turn-back-the-clock effort, the Avalanche also brought in Peter Forsberg and, while he had flashes of brilliance, his ever-present injury issues have to put his future in question.

"It's been a tough couple of years, not being at my best," Forsberg told reporters at season's end, while indicating that he didn't anticipate playing anywhere but Colorado. "I've got a couple months here to think about things more and we'll see from there."

The decisions of Sakic and Forsberg will have a huge impact on the direction of the franchise. If they return, the Avs have the kind of veteran team that has to play for an immediate shot at the title. If not, it's time to turn the page and give the prospects a more significant role.

No matter which direction the Avs go, Giguere is going to be busy with so many free agents to address.

"Our first priority will be to take care of our own people, and then we'll see what's available through free agency," Giguere told the Denver Post.

GM/COACH
    Francois Giguere/Tony Granato

Returning Forwards
    Player Rating Salary
    Paul Stastny 77.92 $710K
    Milan Hejduk 73.35 $4.0M
    Ryan Smyth 71.95 $7.25M
    Tyler Arnason 67.05 $1.75M
    T.J. Hensick 64.26 $685K
    Ben Guite 61.42 $475K
    Ian Laperriere 59.62 $1.15M
    David Jones 58.72 $550K

Free Agent Forwards
    Player Rating Class '07-'08 Salary
    Joe Sakic 76.46 UFA $6.75M
    Peter Forsberg 76.16 UFA $5.0M
    Marek Svatos 74.66 RFA $1.2M
    Wojtek Wolski 72.58 RFA $860K
    Andrew Brunette 72.33 UFA $1.6M
    Jaroslav Hlinka 62.77 UFA $600K
    Brad Richardson 59.59 RFA $600K
    Cody McCormick 59.30 UFA $475K
    Cody McLeod 58.94 RFA $490K
    Scott Parker 53.08 UFA $475K

Top Prospects: Chris Stewart, Denis Parshin, T.J. Galiardi

Paul Stastny picked up from his excellent rookie season and was even better in his second year, though a series of injuries (appendicitis, groin and knee) affected him at various points. Nevertheless, the 22-year-old is a rising star with top-shelf instincts.

Veteran sniper Milan Hejduk saw his production dip, but 29 goals and 54 points isn't all that bad. Now 32, the question is whether this could be the beginning of a slide that will continue as he heads towards his mid-30s.

A prized free agent signing last summer, Ryan Smyth ran into a number of injuries, with his 55 games played being the lowest in his career since he was a 19-year-old rookie in 1995-1996.

Though Tyler Arnason's 31 points represented a career-low, he provides solid depth down the middle and doesn't get as much quality ice when he's behind Stastny and Sakic.

Further depth down the middle came in the form of T.J. Hensick. A collegiate star at Michigan, Hensick dazzled in the pre-season before getting sent back to the AHL for seasoning. He made several appearances with the Avalanche and got better as time went on. If there is an exodus of veterans, Hensick is among those who will compete for a more significant role next season.

Ben Guite emerged as a reliable fourth-line centre who kills penalties and has the combination of size and speed to effectively pressure the opposition but he's overachieved to have even reached this point.

One of the league's biggest character players, Ian Laperriere peaked with 21 goals and 45 points a couple of years ago, but the 34-year-old is back to a marginal role.

David Jones is a big, strong winger who had a solid first pro season, split between Lake Erie and Colorado, showing enough responsibility to play in a checking role, but also showing enough offensive upside to think that a 20 goal season isn't out of the question for his future.

Marek Svatos had a bounceback season, showing the kind of scoring touch that is a hallmark of his game, yet he also showed the propensity for injury that, going back to junior, has only once seen him top 66 games in a season. Assuming he recovers from his torn ACL, Svatos should be a big part of the Avalanche offence.

Wojtek Wolski also figures to be a big part of Colorado's future, but his production dipped slightly in his second season as he went through a long midseason drought, scoring just a single goal in one 25-game span.

Despite spending more time in the AHL than at any time in his career, Brad Richardson was productive at that level (scoring 40 points in 38 games), giving an indication that the 23-year-old has the stuff to stick in the NHL if given the chance.

Scrappy winger Cody McLeod battled his way to the NHL and filled a niche role effectively when he arrived. Presumably, he'll be part of the fourth-line plans again next season.

Colorado's needs will depend almost entirely on the futures of Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg. The two future Hall of Famers could come back and the Avs would be loaded for bear up front. Without them, the Avs still have enough to form a respectable attack, but could use at least a couple of proven forwards to ease the pain.

Returning Defencemen
    Player Rating Salary
    Brett Clark 72.80 $3.5M
    Ruslan Salei 70.90 $3.025K
    Jordan Leopold 68.31 $1.5M
    Scott Hannan 64.71 $4.5M
    Kyle Cumiskey 60.98 $475K

Free Agent Defencemen
    John-Michael Liles 72.58 UFA $725K
    Jeff Finger 70.69 UFA $475K
    Kurt Sauer 65.45 UFA $719K
    Adam Foote 64.41 UFA $1.5M

Top Prospects: Kevin Shattenkirk, Nigel Williams, Colby Cohen

Brett Clark remains underrated in many respects, even though he plays more than 23 minutes per game, and his injury late in the season was critical to Colorado's playoff elimination. He gets by on smarts and savvy and should be solidly in the top four, if not top pair.

Another easy to overlook blueliner is Ruslan Salei. A physical defenceman who can handle the puck, Salei can be used in all situations and he's very durable, having played 82 games in four of the past six seasons.

On the other hand, Jordan Leopold has been incredibly unlucky since arriving in Colorado, playing only 58 games in two seasons. When healthy, Leopold is decent at both ends and can play in a top-four role, but it's difficult to count on him being healthy given his recent run of injuries.

Last summer's big free agent signing on the blueline, Scott Hannan is a durable workhorse who played 75 games or more in seven straight seasons and handled better than 22 minutes per game, but his minus-5 rating was the worst mark of his career.

Smooth-skating Kyle Cumiskey has shown bits of promise in his 47 career games and, with the potential for several free agent losses along the blueline, there may be more of an opportunity for the 21-year-old to get into a regular role.

If the youth movement is in full effect, a prospect like Nigel Williams could also push for playing time.

With four possible unrestricted free agents, the Avalanche are facing some serious overhaul, even if they can get a couple of them re-signed. The needs for next season will depend on which of those free agents return, but the biggest need could end up being for a quality puck-moving defenceman if John-Michael Liles departs.

Returning Goaltender
    Player Rating Salary
    Peter Budaj 66.03 $800K

Free Agent Goaltender
    Jose Theodore 70.90 UFA $6.0M

Top Prospect: Trevor Cann

Seemingly out of nowhere, Jose Theodore recaptured the form of a number one goaltender in January and, while not up to teh standard set during his Hart Trophy days, he re-energized a career that looked like it was spiralling downward. As one of the few capable starters on the free agent market, Theodore should attract interest, but it appears that the Avalanche are interested in bringing him back.

Peter Budaj lost the starting job last season, though his numbers weren't all that different to what they had been the season before. While not a premier starter, he's certainly capable if the Avalanche can't get Theodore re-signed or find an upgrade through trade.

DRAFT
    No first-round pick

FREE AGENCY
    The Avalanche have approximately $30-million committed to salaries for next season.

Needs: Two top nine forwards, two defencemen

What I said the Avalanche needed last year: Two top nine forwards, one top four defenceman, backup goaltender

Who did they add? Ryan Smyth, Jaroslav Hlinka, Scott Hannan

TRADE MARKET
    Tyler Arnason, Peter Budaj

Scott Cullen can be reached at scullen@tsn.ca
    Well pretty much agree with everything, and it is pretty much what we have all been saying.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

By Rick Sadowski, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Joe Sakic won't play hockey forever, and the Avalanche continues to prepare for the day when the likely future Hall of Famer decides to hang up his skates.

While general manager Francois Giguere waits to hear whether the longtime captain will return for a 20th NHL season or retire, the Avalanche on Tuesday acquired former Colorado College standout Marty Sertich from the Dallas Stars.

The Avalanche parted with a conditional selection in the 2009 NHL entry draft for Sertich, 25, who spent the past two seasons with the Iowa Stars in the American Hockey League after signing as a free agent in July 2006.

"I'm very excited," said Sertich, who will become a restricted free agent July 1 but doesn't anticipate any problems signing with the Avalanche. "They've always been a fun team to watch and they've always had a lot of good players."

Sertich is eager to get back to Colorado, where he said he spent "four unbelievable years" at CC and won the Hobey Baker Award - the Heisman Trophy of college hockey - as a junior in 2004-05.

"It was a great place to live and to play hockey," he said. "I still have a lot of friends and family there."

Sertich will be a long shot to make the Avalanche roster during training camp - especially if Sakic is back - but he joins Paul Stastny and T.J. Hensick as another young center to join the organization in the past couple of years after an impressive collegiate career.

A 5-foot-9, 165-pounder, Sertich led Iowa in scoring this past season with 52 points (27 goals, 25 assists) in 79 games. He led the team in goals and power-play goals (nine). Sertich had 13 goals and 20 assists in 44 games as an AHL rookie.

"I've always been one of the smaller guys on the team and have just tried to contribute as much as I can," said Sertich, who was a first-team All-American as a junior when he led all NCAA scorers with 64 points.

Sertich was second in goals (27) and assists (37) that season, when the Tigers advanced to the Frozen Four in Columbus, Ohio.

Sertich, from Roseville, Minn., was CC's captain and a Hobey Baker finalist as a senior in 2005-06, when he had 14 goals and 36 assists in 42 games. He played in 166 consecutive games with the Tigers and finished his career with 61 goals and 121 assists.
    More young talent added to the center position for the coming years.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Picked this up from a poster on anotehr board:

According to Swedish tabloid Aftonbladet the Avs have signed Swedish agitator Per Ledin to a one-year contract (about $600,000). This isn't officially confirmed just yet, but it says his agent and the team have agreed to terms. The article is in Swedish only, but here's a link to it anyway.
    By Rick Sadowski, Rocky Mountain News
    Contract talks between Jose Theodore and the Avalanche are expected to begin in earnest now that the goalie and his agent, Don Meehan, have discussed the team's initial offer.

Meehan said Wednesday he met with Theodore on Tuesday night to talk about their options.

"We had our first discussion concerning all of his rights, options, contract, etc.," Meehan said. "In due course, I'll be in touch with the Avalanche, and we'll start our negotiations."

Meehan previously said Theodore, who is eligible for unrestricted free agency July 1, would prefer to remain with the Avalanche.

"Nothing's changed, subject to the negotiations," he said. "They've made an offer, and I discussed the offer with Jose. We're going to know a lot more (about his prospects of re-signing) within the next 10 days."

Theodore, 31, supplanted Peter Budaj last season as the Avalanche's No. 1 goalie, posting a 28-21-3 record with three shutouts, a 2.44 goals-against average and .910 saves percentage in 53 games.

Theodore was exceptional against Minnesota in the Western Conference quarterfinals but became ill on the eve of the conference semifinals against Detroit and was pulled in three of the four games in the Red Wings' sweep.

He was 4-6 in 10 playoff games with a 3.15 average and .906 saves percentage.

Whether Theodore winds up with the Avalanche or another NHL team, he's expected to receive considerably less than the $6 million he made last season in the final year of a three-year contract.

BRUNETTE ON HOLD: Forward Andrew Brunette also is interested in re-signing with the Avalanche, but he has yet to hear from the team regarding its plans.

"Not yet, no," he said. "We'll see. I'd like to come back. I hope I do."

Brunette, 35 in August, said he is seeking "maybe a little more" than the $1.6 million he made in 2007-08.

"I don't know where that will fit in with their plans," he said.

Brunette underwent shoulder surgery two weeks ago to remove some debris that caused him some discomfort during the season.

"Some bone fragments fell off early in the year and it was a little uncomfortable," said Brunette, who played in all 82 regular-season games for the fifth year in a row and has played in 453 consecutive games, the longest active streak in the NHL. "I was able to get through it, and they just went in there and cleaned it up."

Brunette's production slipped to 19 goals and 59 points, though he still was the Avalanche's second-leading scorer. He had career highs the previous season for goals (27), assists (56) and points (83).

He had a team-high five goals in 10 playoff games and finished second to Joe Sakic with eight points.

QUENNEVILLE IN LIMBO: Former Avalanche coach Joel Quenneville interviewed for the San Jose Sharks' coaching position, but the job is going to Red Wings assistant Todd McLellan.

The San Jose Mercury News reported McLellan has signed a three-year contract and will be introduced Thursday as Ron Wilson's successor.
    I like AB, would like to have him back but looks like he wants 2 mil and have to see what happens with Foppa/Sakic/JML, to see which direction the Avs will start to go in.
    Last edited by BroncoAV06; 06-12-2008 at 01:47 PM.

17. The Following User High Fived BroncoAV06 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

It's gonna be hockey season again before we know it.

I realized today that Brad Stuart is a UFA. So is that Orpik guy from Pittsburgh that I like so much.

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived SR For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information