Page 3 of 502 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: THE official Colorado Avalanche/NHL thread!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Medford Bronco View Post
    Great start for your Avs, Statsney what a great game for him.

I look for big things from the Avs IF the goaltending holds up
    I have no doubt that Budaj can hold up. The kid was 31-16-6 last season and didn't play a whole lot during the first half of the season when the Avs were still trying to let Theodore prove himself. I think Budaj will hold up just fine.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

we looked good. this is the first time i have been able to anything this year. I gotta say that hlinka is gonna be good! guy has some vision.

our defense seemed to chase the puck a little, but i think some more time together will work that out.

we just need to watch the slot, and keep the guys out of budajs way.

the offense in my mind will be better than last years, and the defense will be much improved with jordan and hannan.

i really think we can compete this year.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Oct 3 Weiman will open the season as the backup Avalanche goaltender Peter Budaj, according to the Denver Post. The 23-year-old will likely stay with the team until Jose Theodore is healthy.
    Advice: Weiman has not played in an NHL game, but played in 54 games for the Albany River Rats of the AHL. He posted a 27-22-3 mark with a 2.99 goals-against average. Theodore, meanwhile, started practicing last week after having knee surgery in August but will not be placed on the injured list.

DENVER -- Colorado Avalanche goaltender Jose Theodore will complete his rehabilitation from offseason knee surgery by starting in the season opener Saturday for the AHL Lake Erie Monsters.

The Avalanche said he would return to Colorado on Sunday.

Theodore had surgery in August.

"Jose is in the final stages of his rehabilitation work and both our hockey staff and he agreed that actual game action would be the way to complete this process," general manager Francois Giguere.
    Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
    Last edited by BroncoAV06; 10-05-2007 at 01:22 PM.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Avs got SMOKE by a haggard Nashville team last night. Last I saw on ESPN it was 4-0 with 1 minute left in the third.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Avs exploded tonight! Avs 6 SJ 2, COL 2-1 SJ 1-1-1

Defense was solid, shut down the Thorton line, early in the game 18 mins left in the first Hejduk recived a double major and the Avs killed off the 4 min penelty. Aggresive, not allowing the Sharks to set up on the power play and they kept the bigger Sharks from possesing the puck along the boards.
    Budaj was good tonight as well, 2nd goal game with 2 mins left in the 3rd on a Sharks PP.

Offense-Ryan Smyth got his first goal in an Avs uniform, rebound(Will do that a lot this year) Hejduk showed good speed 2 goals, Stats had a 5 point night (1 G 4 A) Sakic got on the board, overall it was what you would expect from the Avs. Good shooters, movement lead to goals and attacking the net. Helped that they got 2 goals in a min span when the flood gates opend in the 3rd!

Solid defense in front of Budaj will be big this year. Penalty killing will need to be a focal point all year. The Avs offense is there, its what carried this team last year so the defense coming along points to very good signs in the future for the Avs. Will be nice to get off to a good start this year as well. The western conference is a very tricky one with many teams looking good this year.

Next game at St. Lious, Friday 6:00pm
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

I won't get to know about the result of the next game for like three days after its over. I'll be en route to the Middle East.

I caught most of the first and all of the second on NHL Radio linked from nhl.com. Stastny is a friggin stud.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Went down to the Blues 4-1 last night. St. Lious seems to have our number latley. Jose got the start in net, look great through 2 periods then the Avs feel apart. Let the Blues crash the net and Jose had no chance on 2 of the 3 goals in the 3rd. 2-2 so far on the season, PK looked good, still have to iron some things out, defense has to settle in and the offense has to get going outside of Stats.

Blue Jackets at home tonight. Go Avs!

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Avs had another bad first period, well the Blackhawks had 2 great goals from the future Superstars of the NHL Toews and Kane, Jose did play solid just beat on 2 great shots early. Towes was a goa; that only the special ones can make. The Avs fought back and tied it in the 3rd, Svatos is looking like he could have another good year which is what the Avs were waiting for. Ruuto's goal late, just can't have that. The Avs have no problem putting shots on goal, they had pressure on the Hawks but out shot them 40 to 27, Khabibulin was just great shuting the Avs power play down early, 2 shots would have went in but Khabibulin was having one of those nights a good goal tender has.

Avs are 4-3 on the season with all 4 wins coming at home. They have to find a way to get more out of their power play on the road. They can not afford to suffer anymore first periods like the last 2 games. If it keeps up the Avs will have to big of a hill to climb. Hopefully more pucks will find the net on the road as the 4 game road trip finishes up with 3 against divisionn opponents.

Wild, Sunday puck drops at 5 MST. The Wilds have not allowed many goals at all this year, yet another challenge for the Avs offense. They can score but they just can wait untill they are down 3 goals to do so. Defense will have to continue to gell and the penlty kill just needs to keep it up. Killed 18 consecutive PP.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Interesting Peter news, down to Avs and Sens:
    Sporting News

Peter Forsberg has a short list of teams he would play for this season: Colorado and Ottawa.

He is one of several high-profile free agents remaining on the market. And, according to media sources, he is targeting a mid-November comeback and will play for a contender.

That certainly would put the Senators in the picture. NHL sources told the Toronto Sun the Avalanche are a Forsberg favorite. He played on Stanley Cup-winning teams in 1996 and 2001 during his 10-year tenure with the Avs.

"I believe he has an affinity for Colorado because of what he's accomplished there, but the Senators are in the mix," an NHL executive told the Sun.

Signing Forsberg could a problem for the Senators, who stand at $48.5 million against the salary cap, which is $50.3 million. Reports say Forsberg might want a three-year, $15 million deal. Other reports say he would sign with the Senators for $3 million per season.

The Sens also have to come to terms with top-line center Jason Spezza, whose contract expires after this season.

The Avalanche have more cap room, with a $45 million payroll at present.

Plagued by injuries, most notably by wonky feet in recent seasons, Forsberg opted not to sign a contract in the offseason. He is coming off foot and groin surgery. He began 2006-07 with the Philadelphia Flyers and was traded in February to the Nashville Predators.

Two other notable unsigned free agents are Scott Niedermayer and Teemu Selanne, who finished last season with the Stanley Cup-champion Anaheim Ducks. The team continues to wait on their decisions on whether to play, although both have indicated they are considering retirement.

Forsberg is skating at home in Sweden with MoDo of the Swedish Elite League as he prepares for a return to the NHL.

According to the Sun, three other teams are interested in Forsberg -- the Flyers, Detroit Red Wings and Vancouver Canucks
    Big game in Edmonton tonight. Divison games are always going to be big. Avs need to find a way to get off to a good start on the road, they can not go through another game down 2 or 3 goals and omeback just to lose in the final mins of the 3rd. Just have t okeep putting pucks on the net, which they have been doing, and need the power play to come through on the road. Had plenty of opportunities against the Wild and failed, Wild are a great defense team to their credit.

Smyth is going to be very emotional, I hope that he can translate that to the ice and have another productive game. He has been great and I love his game he brings to the rink. I do want to see Hannan become more of a force on the blue line. Stpe up and show why the Avs made you the other big signing and want to you to anchor the blue line along with Liles.

Leopold has shown what the scouts and the Avs saw in him. He skates well and is strong for his size. He has been very aggresive and at times take to many penlties which I would like to see him cut down on but the Avs defense looks like it could shape up to be very solid as the year goes on.

Go AVS

good news about fopa, i said a while ago that my good friend talked to someone..oh yeah i was supposwed to find out who he talked too...anyway i think it was quennville and he said peter would come here if he cleared himself to play. So that looks good so far- us and sens.

hopefully i can watch the game tonight, shoulod be a great one. how has budaj looked, jose also?

awesome news about svatos, thanks for updating that. i thought for sure wew ould trade him this year if he didnt get his act together and start skating.

thanks for the article too.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Great win for the AVS tonight - 3 - 2 over Pittsburgh, after the AVS were down 2 - 0, and their 6th straight win at home

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    Great win for the AVS tonight - 3 - 2 over Sydney Crosby, after the AVS were down 2 - 0, and their 6th straight win at home
    Fixed it for ya Carol. I love coming in to work in the morning and reading the recaps of the Avs games. Makes my day when they win. If they keep this up, I may have to purchase the last couple of months of NHL Center Ice when I get home in Feb.

Stastny seems to be on a cold streak while Sakic and Wolski are ON FIRE. Is Stastny still playing well and just not getting the chances? Or is he just not playing as well?

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Stats is playing weel, Milan was out a week with a back injury which through him off a bit since they had such chemistry going. Hejduk was back in the line up last night.

Everyone is playing well, Gutie had a huge game last night, had the game winner. No lines are taking a shift off, and Q does a great job putting lines together on the fly.

Pitt has a heck of a team and Sid is crazy good, already knew that but watching him last night was amazing.

Thedore has been playing very well, made great saves the last 2 periods to hold of the Pens. He is taking time away from Budja and taking advantage of it.

8-4 overall, 6-0 at home, tied for first with MIN with 3 home games left on this 5 game home stand all against division foes, VAN, CAL, EDM. Good start is what could prople this team the rest of the way, with solid goaltending, like what I am seeing, and the Avs just need to keep pushing.

yeah, sid was sick- It was so cool wathcing him play, that shot of his was a laser! he is also a lot stronger than i thought he was. He is going to be sooo good when he primes out. I just hope he has a long healthy career.

But good win avs- what a come back huh, ha haha i loved it.
    jose did a good job, goal 1 wasnt really his fault, just a lucky bounce off of cuminsky's? skate.

speaking of cuminsky, i thought he had a great game too, he took crsby on all alone 1 on 1 and denied him access to jose.
    The Plan at the moment:

Players I want:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Avs had a good win last night, which brings their point total to 20 (10-5). They are alone atop the Northwest division.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information