Poll: Are Rap music lyrics a good source for fact gathering?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Rap a Good source for Fact gathering?

Adopted Bronco:
    Craig Morton / Haven Moses

Default Is Rap a Good source for Fact gathering?

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a moment, but set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

if you mean rap the music genre then i would say no...

________
    LIVE SEX
    Last edited by anton...; 08-31-2011 at 07:30 PM.

I voted yes, but only if you are a street thug. Outside of that...it's just something else that adds 'trash' to our society. Anyone can do rap, it's not based on talent. It's based on 'lazy' singing/talent and little positivity.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

I can think of at least three people who will pop their heads in this thread and argue in favor of rap, then this thread will go to crap.

I vote no. Yes, I'm sure there are facts within their lyrics, but to call it a good source of factual information is laughable.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by -HW- View Post
    I voted yes, but only if you are a street thug. Outside of that...it's just something else that adds 'trash' to our society. Anyone can do rap, it's not based on talent. It's based on 'lazy' singing/talent and little positivity.
    I will requalify, for university or high school level research papers not on topics related to "thug" life, Specific rappers lives, or the music industry in general.
    Give a man a match and he will be warm for a moment, but set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    I can think of at least three people who will pop their heads in this thread and argue in favor of rap, then this thread will go to crap.

I vote no. Yes, I'm sure there are facts within their lyrics, but to call it a good source of factual information is laughable.
    We know who they are, and they will argue until they are blue in the face. Two guys supporting Ohio teams come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by eessydo View Post
    I will requalify, for university or high school level research papers not on topics related to "thug" life, Specific rappers lives, or the music industry in general.
    can you elaborate please?

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

We know who they are, and they will argue until they are blue in the face. Two guys supporting Ohio teams come to mind.
    Bingo.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:

can you elaborate please?
    Let's say you are writing a paper on religion, would you quote a rapper as a viable source in your bibliography stating it was fact?

Adopted Bronco:

I don't know about all of this HW. I respectfully request that you remove your opinion from this thread, although you are thoroughly entitled to it. I would like to keep this one on topic and objective.

I personally don't think all rap is bad and dark, but I definitely wouldn't TRUST them as a source or utilize it as a primary source of information.

Thank you for your support of objectivity in this thread in advance. I am just trying to avoid finger pointing in this one.
    Last edited by Lonestar; 11-04-2007 at 10:42 AM.

Adopted Bronco:

I voted yes, but only if you are a street thug.
    I do agree with this though, it would be a good source of information for a "street thug", but let's talk about you and I and the rest of Human society. Would it be a good source of FACTUAL information, and would you believe it as fact without first cross referencing the information?

I do agree with this though, it would be a good source of information for a "street thug", but let's talk about you and I and the rest of Human society. Would it be a good source of FACTUAL information, and would you believe it as fact without first cross referencing the information?

Well, street smarts is something I am acquainted with, due to my own childhood. Rap is truly about expressing a part of society's anger and/or sexuality. I could not say in any way that it offers 'factual' information as a resource, but it does offer 'situational' facts of part of society's lifestyle. Perhaps, it just cements the negative feelings that so much of society feels 'already' about 'the street' (i.e., thugs). Perhaps, it just cements part of society's feelings about those who chose to remain in the 'darker side of life', and enhance that furthermore with reconfirming that 'entire idea' through their rap music, versus encouraging music for those on the streets, to make change? It's music that is a burden on society, versus a positive expression. Who really wants to 'relate' to rap? Those who already live on the 'dark side' or those who know no better (youth).

You obviously dont listen to much rap at all. Most of the rap that you see on television does not reflect the majority of the music. Sure, anyone can rap, but few can do it well. Many people can sing, in fact everyone that can speak can sing, but few do it well.

He was using the lyrics to make a point eesydo. I am not saying I agree or disagree with his statment but this is the political forum and has nothing to do with politics at all. Matter of fact this is pretty close to a personal attack.

Let's say you are writing a paper on religion, would you quote a rapper as a viable source in your bibliography stating it was fact?
    How about you not skew your question with a biased question? If the rapper said something and then he can prove that the rapper is right then that rapper is a fine source. He could even go so far as to quote the rapper in his paper. We don't we try to be fair here?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information