Poll: Are Rap music lyrics a good source for fact gathering?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Rap a Good source for Fact gathering?

Adopted Bronco:
    Craig Morton / Haven Moses

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    A lot of music degrades women, promotes drugs and blah blah blah blah. The words over exaggeration is very fitting.

Wrong again.
    You are correct a lot of music besides rap degrades women and promotes, but what was stated was not necessarily "wrong again".

Man, I would think you would choose your words more wisely considering you are a journalism major.

Might want to spend more time studying and less time on this site.
    Give a man a match and he will be warm for a moment, but set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    A lot of music degrades women, promotes drugs and blah blah blah blah. The words over exaggeration is very fitting.

Wrong again.
    Is the manner and excessive nature that rap does it in that really chaps my ass. It's like they're promoting it.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j7Vl0peys90

^ listen

this ignorance does exist, but can be destroyed..

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Escobar View Post
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=j7Vl0peys90

^ listen

this ignorance does exist, but can be destroyed..
    That link you sent me in a PM a few weeks back was an excellent rap song...can't remember the name of it though.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    Is the manner and excessive nature that rap does it in that really chaps my ass. It's like they're promoting it.
    SeeingRed, you know dam well all hip hop does not talk about that, you told me you used to like nas, you know he has deep and meaningful lyrics.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by NameUsedBefore View Post
    I wouldn't use the actual song alone as a source. But let's say the rapper actually has a solid education, then I would have no problem citing what he says because it's obviously backed by more than a want to rhyme a bunch of words.
    Unfortunately that was not the question, we are just concerned about the lyrics at this point. We can post a secondary question asking about rappers themselves.
    Give a man a match and he will be warm for a moment, but set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Escobar View Post
    SeeingRed, you know dam well all hip hop does not talk about that, you told me you used to like nas, you know he has deep and meaningful lyrics.
    I don't dislike all rap, I just dislike what it has become. I like a lot of the old Death Row stuff, old Nas (before he decided to become political with songs like "Black Republicans" and his wishing death on O'Reilly), etc. But today's (c)rap has put an awfully bitter taste in my mouth.

Considering this entire thread is because of a post made by me I am going to respond to it in that manner. Now, this came about because of a post I made quoting a line from a rap song about Jesus being quoted in the Qu'ran... what was failed to be understood, however, is that I didn't quote it saying it was a fact, I quoted it in a way of trying to find the validity and an explanation of that line. I don't know it to be a fact, I assume it is but I do not know for sure, and never once said I did know for sure.

Now to actually answer the question... yes it can be a good source for fact gathering. Depending on what you are talking about/debating/explaining, rap can be one of the best sources for gathering facts. Talk about the ghetto, racism, and things of that nature... I will listen to what a rapper says before I listen to what a writer from the middle of the suburbs says.

And to go deeper into this subject and talk about the ridiculous notions I have seen about what rap is... rap is nowhere near just about sex, drugs, degrading women... or anything like that. Just because the crap that is shoved down your throats by the media is about that, it doesn't mean that's what the genre is actually about. Rap is about everything... it is about the ghetto, it is about all the different hardships, it is a nice source of information when it comes to things like that, it is about life in general, relationships, etc. Rap also takes a lot of talent in order to actually be good at it... I have tried it, it isn't easy.

SR... how do you dislike new Nas?? If anything he has only become better lyrically than he used to be, and he still only talks about stuff that matters and isn't stupid.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IZd927xqjoo

Nas- Blunt Ashes

Gnomeflinger was the first to use the correct number of A's in my username.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by bengaaaaals1688 View Post
    he still only talks about stuff that matters and isn't stupid.
    First two NAS songs I clicked on... I see what you're talking about, heavy stuff man.

This guy really writes about the things that matter. Drugs, women, money, oh, I certainly can't forget about the tub of KY for the women to wrestle in, or when they spread their... well, this is after all a family site....

Quote Originally Posted by NAS
    Nas was the first New York n**** rappin' with Dre
    So of course I got a track to bring it back to your face
    The one kid that would've been Aftermath that got away
    But we still get together like every several years
    to sprinkle, a little bit of Heaven for your ears
    Relax sippin' Calico in Rio, stupid *******
    Low-key, know G's, but it's still Gucci luggage
    I love Cape Cod, and watchin' fly ******* with grey eyes
    wrestle in a tub of KY to get my day by
    Quote Originally Posted by NAS
    It was just cool like, smooth night wit' my jewels bright
    Goons left goons right, coupe wit' blue lights
    Bad girls in black pearls, gave us cat calls
    Took 'em back to the crib to break they *** off
    In the loft mixin' hash and 'dro
    Honey spreaded that ******* like a wide mouth bass
    Sippin' wine out the glass, Teddy Pendergrass blast
    When the phone ring, the house lights flash
    Turned down the sound, let's get down to bidness
    **** about to go down wit' some foul *****
    What the voice said, "what up pop? Who want it?"
    I put the guap up, get the boy popped
    He say "son stop, it's dudes you feedin'
    Who feedin' other dudes, but they really not eatin'"
    Dog, why you callin' me? This our food
    You, handle the mouths that it trickles down to
    ****** want beef, I want some of that cow too
    But I'm in my princely robe, simply rich
    Don't bother me wit' silly ****, call Rico

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    First two NAS songs I clicked on... I see what you're talking about, heavy stuff man.

This guy really writes about the things that matter. Drugs, women, money, oh, I certainly can't forget about the tub of KY for the women to wrestle in, or when they spread their... well, this is after all a family site....
    Oh sorry... so he has songs that aren't all informative, sue him. Nas is a well-respected lyricist and sends a good message with most of his songs. If you actually listen to all of the second song you were talking about, you will realize that it isn't just the lyrics being used that must be understood, if you actually pay attention to how they are used and the rest of the song... there is a deeper meaning than the lyrics themselves say. The whole point of the song is that he can't be killed, and that he has had to deal with people trying to all his life.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_fFfFSX-D9w

Nas- Blood Diamonds

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DtftuSHnWVY

Nas- One Mic

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2UzYKl-L2Eo

Nas- Carry on Tradition

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PhNpgNrQA-I

Nas- Not Going Back

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Kxxvc4Tk_ug

Nas- We Will Survive

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2d-l2nw-nGk

Nas- Poison

Go ahead and tell me that 2 songs make all those songs BS. Nas is hip hop, and Nas makes extremely good songs with great messages. Just because you don't like the way he words himself in a couple of them doesn't make him like the rest of the crappy rappers.

Gnomeflinger was the first to use the correct number of A's in my username.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rick Upchurch

Quote Originally Posted by eessydo View Post
    Unfortunately that was not the question, we are just concerned about the lyrics at this point. We can post a secondary question asking about rappers themselves.
    You said rap. That involves the rappers. If they have an education there's no reason to say they have nothing intelligent to add simply because of the method they use to project it.
    How's your burger, bro? - Ancient proverb

Listening to rap and hip-hop is a great way to gather an introspective view on living a hard life, and learning about differences that exist in society. I don't know if it's a great way about gathering the facts. Most of it is talking about personal experiences and believes. It goes all the way back to the roots of the music itself, which dates back all the way to the trading of slaves.

I respect the hip-hop community a great deal. I think they're extremely talented writers, and I think as artists - they show a lot of creativity. Then again, you'll always have the people who think they're "no talent losers, and do things that anybody else could do." If anybody else can do it, then put your money where your mouth is and do it.

Most here aren't educated in the area of music, and don't understand the social and cultural context behind rap music itself. Not surprising in the least bit.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by NameUsedBefore View Post
    You said rap. That involves the rappers. If they have an education there's no reason to say they have nothing intelligent to add simply because of the method they use to project it.
    The actual question attached to the poll is Rap Lyrics, the forum lead question was shortened so as not to be obnoxious.

Sorry for the confusion.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    Listening to rap and hip-hop is a great way to gather an introspective view on living a hard life, and learning about differences that exist in society. I don't know if it's a great way about gathering the facts. Most of it is talking about personal experiences and believes.
    I was going to put this in this forum earlier today but decided to refrain. I agree that most rap is personal experience and beliefs. Maybe not the best source of factual information unless you are looking to research one of these individuals.

This was an extremely good post, I am glad I did not write it as my previous discussions may have overshadowed its validity. It shows some serious thought, and answers the question clearly.

Good job Dream.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by bengaaaaals1688 View Post
    there is a deeper meaning than the lyrics themselves say.
    Then why write the lyrics?

Seems like you live by this, because you will write something down and when it is questioned you say that it was taken out of context.

Are we all supposed to be mind readers out here?

All I have to go by is what you write or say, and NAS definitely has a message in those lyrics above......

I am not saying I like them or dislike them, but it is very clear to me what he is saying.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information