Poll: Are Rap music lyrics a good source for fact gathering?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Rap a Good source for Fact gathering?

Quote Originally Posted by -HW- View Post
    Well, street smarts is something I am acquainted with, due to my own childhood. Rap is truly about expressing a part of society's anger and/or sexuality. I could not say in any way that it offers 'factual' information as a resource, but it does offer 'situational' facts of part of society's lifestyle. Perhaps, it just cements the negative feelings that so much of society feels 'already' about 'the street' (i.e., thugs). Perhaps, it just cements part of society's feelings about those who chose to remain in the 'darker side of life', and enhance that furthermore with reconfirming that 'entire idea' through their rap music, versus encouraging music for those on the streets, to make change? It's music that is a burden on society, versus a positive expression. Who really wants to 'relate' to rap? Those who already live on the 'dark side' or those who know no better (youth).
    I respectfully disagree. There is a lot in rap that someone like I (a white kid from a nice family) can relate too. You will find a lot of common family issues and relationship issues in rap music. You will find a lot of rappers talking about trying to overcome adversity which we can all relate too. I cannot relate with them when it comes to being around drug dealers and a lot of other things, but I do not think your post is very fair.

Quote Originally Posted by eessydo View Post
    I do agree with this though, it would be a good source of information for a "street thug", but let's talk about you and I and the rest of Human society. Would it be a good source of FACTUAL information, and would you believe it as fact without first cross referencing the information?
    That would depend on the rapper and what the subject was about now wouldn't it?

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    I respectfully disagree. There is a lot in rap that someone like I (a white kid from a nice family) can relate too.
    Where? Radio Disney?
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    Where? Radio Disney?
    SR, I try to be as respectful as I can. I would appreciate if you didn't take pot shots at me without at least an attempt at a civil debate.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

SR, I try to be as respectful as I can. I would appreciate if you didn't take pot shots at me without at least an attempt at a civil debate.
    I'm just messing around.

I've beaten this topic to a dead horse on BM and a little over here. I have nothing else to add. I can't stand rap, think it's a bad influence on today's youth, and encourages people to act like idiots and treat their women like crap.

If it is a good source of factual info, and these are the people you want to get your "facts" from, then that's on your own conscience, not mine.

I'm just messing around.

I've beaten this topic to a dead horse on BM and a little over here. I have nothing else to add. I can't stand rap, think it's a bad influence on today's youth, and encourages people to act like idiots and treat their women like crap.

If it is a good source of factual info, and these are the people you want to get your "facts" from, then that's on your own conscience, not mine.
    I have a hard time telling sometimes. Once again I overreact, my bad.

Well you have read my stance on the issue where I replied to HW so I am willing to venture that neither of us are going to change each others minds.

And a rapper could very well be a good source for information in several instances. My problem with this thread is that it is neither on topic for Politics or Religion and it was skewed from the get go. Also the person that Essydo is railing on happens to be a good friend of mine.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Also the person that Essydo is railing on happens to be a good friend of mine.
    I'm guessing Escobar?

I'm guessing Escobar?
    Give you a hint, he has a lot of letter A's in his name.

Oh yeah, and he is a Bengals fan.

Adopted Bronco:
    Craig Morton / Haven Moses

That would depend on the rapper and what the subject was about now wouldn't it?
    No it does not depend on the rapper OR the subject. I have a lot of PhD's tossing information at me, yet I still cross reference it and evaluate as much data as possible.

Do you believe everything you hear or read? <-- this is an honest question

I think I have a comparable lesson that rap lovers can relate to:

I was watching the cartoon Boondocks last year, and thought it was funny that the storyline of one show was a rapper that everyone idolized because of his "street cred". He was actually from a middle class home and had just marketed himself as a "gangsta".

I think the lesson in this cartoon was don't always believe what you hear or read, take the time to peel back the layers and you will find different truths or not-truths. A larger % of these guys are entertainers, NOT scholars. There primary purpose is to entertain.

Also, you can't always believe the scholars, dig deep and you may find hidden agendas or counter-opinions on specific research.

This is not really a loaded question here. it is a simple question. and right now it is 60/40 with the NO's winning.

BTW, one of the "YES's" had a caveat and I clarified some of the ambiguity in the question so we could avoid caveats.
    Give a man a match and he will be warm for a moment, but set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by eessydo View Post
    No it does not depend on the rapper OR the subject. I have a lot of PhD's tossing information at me, yet I still cross reference it and evaluate as much data as possible.

Do you believe everything you hear or read? <-- this is an honest question

I think I have a comparable lesson that rap lovers can relate to:

I was watching the cartoon Boondocks last year, and thought it was funny that the storyline of one show was a rapper that everyone idolized because of his "street cred". He was actually from a middle class home and had just marketed himself as a "gangsta".

I think the lesson in this cartoon was don't always believe what you hear or read, take the time to peel back the layers and you will find different truths or not-truths. A larger % of these guys are entertainers, NOT scholars. There primary purpose is to entertain.

Also, you can't always believe the scholars, dig deep and you may find hidden agendas or counter-opinions on specific research.

This is not really a loaded question here. it is a simple question. and right now it is 60/40 with the NO's winning.

BTW, one of the "YES's" had a caveat and I clarified some of the ambiguity in the question so we could avoid caveats.
    No I do not believe everything that I hear and see. And you loaded the question and attacked Bengaaals and I can show you where you skewed the crap in this thread if you want. And I hate to break this to you, but this little pole proves nothing. Bengaaaaaaaaaaaaaaals1688 would tell you that he doesnt always believe what rappers say, he was using the quote to prove a point. TO PROVE A POINT (I think you may need the caps). I am well aware of what makes a good source and what does not, it comes with being a journalism major. And yes, the credibility of the person does matter a lot. If the rapper was someone who was established as an intelligent person who graduated from college and was knowledgeable on the subject that would mean a lot more then if Soulja Boy said it. And the subject matters quite a bit too. If you where talking about let us say biology then a rapper may or not be the best guy to go to huh? However, he still could be if he was knowledgeable in that field. Said rapper could very well be knowledgeable on the subject matter, you and I do not know.

What bothers me is that this thread is nothing more then a petty personal attack.

Adopted Bronco:

No I do not believe everything that I hear and see. And you loaded the question and attacked Bengaaals and I can show you where you skewed the crap in this thread if you want. And I hate to break this to you, but this little pole proves nothing. Bengaaaaaaaaaaaaaaals1688 would tell you that he doesnt always believe what rappers say, he was using the quote to prove a point. TO PROVE A POINT (I think you may need the caps). I am well aware of what makes a good source and what does not, it comes with being a journalism major. And yes, the credibility of the person does matter a lot. If the rapper was someone who was established as an intelligent person who graduated from college and was knowledgeable on the subject that would mean a lot more then if Soulja Boy said it. And the subject matters quite a bit too. If you where talking about let us say biology then a rapper may or not be the best guy to go to huh? However, he still could be if he was knowledgeable in that field. Said rapper could very well be knowledgeable on the subject matter, you and I do not know.

What bothers me is that this thread is nothing more then a petty personal attack.
    I know this pole proves nothing, it is an OPINION pole. You as a journalism major should understand that. Come on now, think!!

BTW, how do you know they are a credible source? the answer: you research it! You are helping me out here more than you are hurting me. Thank you for your assistance.

Also, you'll probably notice a significant change in voting now that the poll has been placed in the "music" forum, and no longer sits in the "politics" forum. This question will have skewed results as long as:

1: it is framed in a certain way AND
    2: it is posed to different people

You can take that to the bank!

We can do a little experiment and place the poll in both forums and watch the results and the different thread discussion that is related to it. I guarantee it will be significantly different due to the different SAMPLES being taken.

This is why all that data is gathered and submitted in surveys, but you should know all of this by now.
    Last edited by eessydo; 11-04-2007 at 11:17 AM.
    Give a man a match and he will be warm for a moment, but set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

I would have to say no. We've all heard Eminems rants, can you take them as fact? No.

Now, if you're writing a paper about how rap degrades women, glamourizes violence, promotes drugs, and is overall contributing to the downward spiral of ethics in our society, the certainly. Use away.

Also very useful to write papers about how to make money with "music" with no musical talent whatsoever.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rick Upchurch

I wouldn't use the actual song alone as a source. But let's say the rapper actually has a solid education, then I would have no problem citing what he says because it's obviously backed by more than a want to rhyme a bunch of words.
    How's your burger, bro? - Ancient proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    I would have to say no. We've all heard Eminems rants, can you take them as fact? No.

Now, if you're writing a paper about how rap degrades women, glamourizes violence, promotes drugs, and is overall contributing to the downward spiral of ethics in our society, the certainly. Use away.

Also very useful to write papers about how to make money with "music" with no musical talent whatsoever.
    A lot of music degrades women, promotes drugs and blah blah blah blah. The words over exaggeration is very fitting.

Wrong again.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by NameUsedBefore View Post
    I wouldn't use the actual song alone as a source. But let's say the rapper actually has a solid education, then I would have no problem citing what he says because it's obviously backed by more than a want to rhyme a bunch of words.
    What is a solid education?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information