Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Common Football Myths

Default Common Football Myths

I wanted to start a thread where people could post some common myths about football, i.e. some things that we've always been taught that just aren't true.

For instance, from an officiating standpoint I have been yelled at by coaches and players over and over and over again because they want a call of "face guarding". In Texas we use college rules (with a couple of exceptions) and when I tell those coaches and players that there is no rule against face guarding they usually go ballistic. I believe there is a rule in NFHS, but it doesn't exist in college or the NFL.

So, Myth #1 - Face guarding is a penalty (above NFHS)
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Very close to that is also illegal contact. I was at a seven-on-seven tournament one Saturday a few years ago and a group of parents were throwing fits about illegal contact (not pass interference - they kept yelling, "hey, that's after five yards" but the ball wasn't in the air yet)...A.J. Ofodile, who had a cup of coffee with the Ravens when they won the Super Bowl (He was listed at 6-6, 260) was the coach for the opposing team...he told them to shut up, because this wasn't the pros. They didn't say anything after that. Quite funny, actually.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    Very close to that is also illegal contact. I was at a seven-on-seven tournament one Saturday a few years ago and a group of parents were throwing fits about illegal contact (not pass interference - they kept yelling, "hey, that's after five yards" but the ball wasn't in the air yet)...A.J. Ofodile, who had a cup of coffee with the Ravens when they won the Super Bowl (He was listed at 6-6, 260) was the coach for the opposing team...he told them to shut up, because this wasn't the pros. They didn't say anything after that. Quite funny, actually.
    That's exactly right. Even in college ball the defender can pretty much block the receiver all the way down the field (as long as he's not holding him) until the ball is thrown (actually until it crosses the line of scrimmage).
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

6. The Following User High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Ok, here's another one. You play until the whistle blows. That's not actually true. In football the whistle doesn't "kill the play" the play "kills the play". It is entirely possible and sometimes appropriate to throw a flag for a personal foul for a late hit even if the whistle hasn't blown.

So, Myth #3 - The play isn't over until the whistle blows

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by spikerman View Post
    That's exactly right. Even in college ball the defender can pretty much block the receiver all the way down the field (as long as he's not holding him) until the ball is thrown (actually until it crosses the line of scrimmage).
    It's that way in NFHS rules too. We teach our DB's and LB's to hammer receivers until the ball is thrown. Initially though lots of kids think that after five yards you can't touch the receiver, so that's a misconception we have to fix early on. Spikerman, this is a great thread!! Good idea!!

10. The Following User High Fived tripleoption For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tripleoption View Post
    It's that way in NFHS rules too. We teach our DB's and LB's to hammer receivers until the ball is thrown. Initially though lots of kids think that after five yards you can't touch the receiver, so that's a misconception we have to fix early on. Spikerman, this is a great thread!! Good idea!!
    Thanks triple!!!! I didn't realize that was the rule in NFHS too.

12. The Following User High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

I have no idea what face guarding is (doesn't a face mask guard the face?)

Quote Originally Posted by sneakers View Post
    I have no idea what face guarding is (doesn't a face mask guard the face?)
    "Face guarding" is when a defender sticks his arms or hands up in front of the receiver in an effort to block the view or in the hopes that the ball will hit his hands or arms. The defender usually has no idea where the ball is and is not actually making a play on the ball he is just throwing his arms up. One way to ID face guarding is that the defender never looks back at the ball. As long as there is no contact between the defender and the receiver this is perfectly legal.

I don't know if I explained that well so here's a scenario. Say that a receiver has gotten behind a defender and the defender is now in "chase" mode. Let's also say that the QB throws the ball deep and the defender knows that the ball may have been thrown toward his receiver, but has no idea where the ball is. The defender throws his hands up, blocking the receiver's view and runs that way for 5 or 10 yards until the ball hits the defender's arms or hands and falls incomplete. As long as there was no contact between the two there is no penalty.

If this doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll try to say it in another way.

15. The Following 5 Users High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Ok, here's another one. You play until the whistle blows. That's not actually true. In football the whistle doesn't "kill the play" the play "kills the play". It is entirely possible and sometimes appropriate to throw a flag for a personal foul for a late hit even if the whistle hasn't blown.

Ahhhhhhh... I love that. I use to cream unsuspecting OL who would stand around the pile moments before the whistle blew.....

Quote Originally Posted by West View Post
    Ahhhhhhh... I love that. I use to cream unsuspecting OL who would stand around the pile moments before the whistle blew.....
    Right, but what I'm saying is that if he isn't engaged and the play has "killed itself" it should be a penalty for you to hit that lineman. For instance, if a player is down and it's obvious that the player is down, the play is over - regardless of whether there is a whistle or not. Any action after that could be flagged.

Right, but what I'm saying is that if he isn't engaged and the play has "killed itself" it should be a penalty for you to hit that lineman. For instance, if a player is down and it's obvious that the player is down, the play is over - regardless of whether there is a whistle or not. Any action after that could be flagged.
    But its not a penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by West View Post
    But its not a penalty.
    Why not?

Why not?

Cause the whistle hasn't blown.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bucky

I disagree...The whistle DOES signal the end of the play. While knocking the crap out of someone after the tackle is extremely dirty...it's not illegal if the whistle has yet to be blown. Example: The Jets TD on us last year after the player was "tackled." The Denver D believed the play to be over and stopped playing despite no whistle sounding. Had they played until a whistle was blown...no Jets touchdown.

(This crosses all levels. College rules. Pro rules and highschool at least under the UIL.)

22. The Following User High Fived nj10 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bucky

I hate myself for saying this...but West is right. It's not illegal. I will say that when I'm coaching highschool football in two short years, a player that takes blind-side cheap shots like west described that are not legitimate blocks...will be pulled for the remainder of the game and punished under my authority as a coach.

24. The Following 2 Users High Fived nj10 For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information