Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 posts...

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

Thanks guys. I think 11 useless threads is plenty...unless they are my own...

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by Reidman View Post
    Thanks guys. I think 11 useless threads is plenty...unless they are my own...
    I'm a big fan of yours, Reid . . . there are no threads more useless than yours . . .

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

3. The Following 3 Users High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    I'm a big fan of yours, Reid . . . there are no threads more useless than yours . . .

-----
    Now where's that neg button at...?

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived Reidman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

Quote Originally Posted by Reidman View Post
    Now where's that neg button at...?

To all the armed forces... present, past, and future.
    Thanks, Reid!

Click the sig to read JetRazor's and my story! PM me with any questions!
    I love my wife!

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Kapaibro View Post
    can we merge and move those threads in question?

They are not Broncos Talk, heck they're not even smack, so move them.
    Or delete them...
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    Or delete them...
    Wow... I think he's gone...
    Thanks, Reid!

I love my wife!

I'll try and see what type of options we have with usergroups. Things are a little more complicated than a typical vBulletin board because of what it took to setup the opt in forums. It might be possible to allow them access to only one forum until the reach x number of posts, like only being able to create posts in smack, until they have 50 posts and then being able to create threads anywhere.

Sometimes legitimate fans come here to talk the week before we play their team. sometimes to talk smack, but sometimes to have genuine discussions. 100 definately seems high to me, even 50 seems somewhat hight. It's also a large hurdle for people that lurk and read but decided they want to jump in an ask a question.

I guess the question to ask is since it isn't that often that we have someone come and create a bunch of new threads, do we need to put in highly restrictive rules to deal with these rare exceptions?

I vascilate on it.

If we do put in a 10, 25, 50 or 100 post limit before being able to create new threads, it will also help a little with spammers, at least in no alowing them to create new threads, and only spam their ads in existing threads.

Anyway, I'll see what our options are tomorrow and would like to hear other people's thoughts in the meantime.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

Ban the new members!
    Thanks, Reid!

I love my wife!

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived LordTrychon For This Post:

i was probably near 300 posts before i started my first thread. i've still never started a worth-while thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I don't know much about anything. In fact, I am one of the dumbest people alive.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived shank For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    On the other hand you could probably just ignore posters who are trolling in an excessive manner and report their behavior. Replying to him doesn't do justice and probably antagonizes the particular poster to further such actions. Be cool with it, Missouri.

all it does is feed their ego.. they are baiting you know it they know it and if they do not get a response they will move on to another forum they get a response on..

once we figured out what was going on it took about 5 minutes to ban the guy and another hour or so the delete his threads..

I probably should have merged them all and then made one big deletion but did not think about it till I was about 3/4 done..

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

MB has a great idea, but it will not fix the problem. If a new member was limited to so many posts before starting a thread, there is nothing to prevent them from junking up existing threads, so basically the same problem as last night, would still exist.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Rod Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    MB has a great idea, but it will not fix the problem. If a new member was limited to so many posts before starting a thread, there is nothing to prevent them from junking up existing threads, so basically the same problem as last night, would still exist.
    I belong to other boards where the 50-post rule is in effect and most people do just what Carol suggests to get their 50 posts. The people you least want to post are the ones that can type up 50 inane responses in 30 minutes and the problem still remains.

Is there a way to set a max number of posts per day until you reach 50, say, 10 posts in 24 hours? Not many trolls would have the patience for that. Once you reach 50 (or 100 or whatever limit is set) the daily limit would come off.

18. The Following User High Fived Hardwired For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    50 post rule would flat out kill the Spammers, no question about it. It would also make it tough (though obviously not impossible) for casual nitwits to come in here just to screw with us. Yes they can generate junk posts of course, but it makes it inconvenient.

Post count plus time perhaps? 25 or 50 posts plus 3 days or a week after enrollment, aside from an Introduce yourself thread? I don't know if that's technically feasible. If not I still like the idea of post count limit a lot.
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwired View Post
    I belong to other boards where the 50-post rule is in effect and most people do just what Carol suggests to get their 50 posts. The people you least want to post are the ones that can type up 50 inane responses in 30 minutes and the problem still remains.

Is there a way to set a max number of posts per day until you reach 50, say, 10 posts in 24 hours? Not many trolls would have the patience for that. Once you reach 50 (or 100 or whatever limit is set) the daily limit would come off.
    I don't know how vBulletin would facilitate it, but I believe you're onto something
    there. A 50 (I prefer 100) post rule for starting threads, and a 10-post maximum
    per day until the 50 or 100 posts are met.

Are you listening, T?

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    50 post rule would flat out kill the Spammers, no question about it. It would also make it tough (though obviously not impossible) for casual nitwits to come in here just to screw with us. Yes they can generate junk posts of course, but it makes it inconvenient.

Post count plus time perhaps? 25 or 50 posts plus 3 days or a week after enrollment, aside from an Introduce yourself thread? I don't know if that's technically feasible. If not I still like the idea of post count limit a lot.
    I was following the member last night - if the post count would have been in place, rather than creating new threads in Broncos Talk, he could have used existing thread(s) to post his crap in, as it was obvious that his ONLY reason for posting on BF was to post crap.

Most of the time spammers do not create new threads, but dump their crap in an existing thread(s) also.

To me, the best course is, when someone notices a post(s) like the ones created last night, whether a new thread is started, or whether a new member is posting crap in an existing thread, it needs to immediately be reported, and acted upon ASAP.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

23. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information