Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill Simmons on Peyton Manning

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Default Bill Simmons on Peyton Manning

Now take this with a grain of salt since Simmons is a self-proclaimed Manning hater, but I thought some might find it interesting.

"As for Peyton … I have to be honest, I don't understand the respect that people are giving Denver at all. Manning's arm looks dreadful. Really bad. Like seeing a formerly great pitcher in the last year of his career when he's throwing junk and relying on pinpoint location, with no room for error whatsoever. I just don't see how this gets better. They have a terrible running game and a noodle-armed QB. They fell behind by 20 points in Week 2 and Week 3. What am I missing?"

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...elaborate-chat

2. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Apparently, he's missing some pretty basic football knowledge.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

4. The Following 4 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

I think someone looking in from the outside could easily draw this conclusion. I'm worried myself to some extent, but I'm not losing any sleep over it.

6. The Following 6 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Moron: What am I missing?
    The games you flipping dolt. We lost to the two best teams in the league by a combined 12 points, and we played like crap for 6 out of the 8 quarters.

Hey media memeber, pull your head put of your ass and watch the actual games, jackass.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

8. The Following 4 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

I love Bill Simmons and think he is the greatest sports journalist of all-time - but he is a self-proclaimed Manning hater. He is a Boston-native who hates him from the Pats-Colts rivalry, and he has predicted failure from Manning ever since he said he wanted to come back after his 4th neck procedure. Now that we've struggled in back-to-back weeks he's ready to show that his prediction was correct.

I'd counter by saying that we got owned by two very good teams - so I think it can and will get better on the offensive side.

10. The Following 3 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I was curious what Manning's stats are this season if you take out that dreadfully anomalous first quarter against Atlanta and they are nearly every bit as good as at any other point in his career. 98 QB rating, 59% completions, 7.3 YPA. The % and YPA are slightly down but nothing too drastic, and this is considering we have faced 3 of the absolute best defenses in the league. The arm strength concerns have been more than disproven so i'm not even worried about that. I think Simmons will be looking might dumb by the end of the season.

12. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    The games you flipping dolt. We lost to the two best teams in the league by a combined 12 points, and we played like crap for 6 out of the 8 quarters.

Hey media memeber, pull your head put of your ass and watch the actual games, jackass.
    I don't love this counter, because truthfully our offense has sucked during the 6 quarters where defenses were giving us their best schemes. It has succeeded against off-coverage once Houston and Atlanta got big leads. I'm hopeful that those teams were just better than most of the rest of our opponents, but it is a little worrisome IMO.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

I really enjoy Bill's basketball takes, but his football knowledge is more betting-based than assessment-based.

The Broncos would be a bad team to lay bets on this year for points or spread, but losing "the two best teams in the league by a combined 12 points, and we played like crap for 6 out of the 8 quarters" is about right. The engine's not finely tuned at this point, but as we sputter there's still some horsepower under the hood.

Once Manning understands the limitations placed on his arm and we stop Frankensteining McCoy to Manning's hip, it'll get better. Receivers catching the ball will help too.

We'll see what happens this week to start opening some eyes.

~G
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

16. The Following 7 Users High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I don't love this counter, because truthfully our offense has sucked during the 6 quarters where defenses were giving us their best schemes. It has succeeded against off-coverage once Houston and Atlanta got big leads. I'm hopeful that those teams were just better than most of the rest of our opponents, but it is a little worrisome IMO.
    I would say the only one of those quarters in which Manning was really bad was the first quarter against Atlanta though. I think the o-line and receivers have been MUCH bigger problems in the passing game than Manning.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
    The arm strength concerns have been more than disproven.
    I know this is an unpopular viewpoint, but frankly I don't trust the Michael Smith analysis, or the idea that MNF was able to clock one pass that Manning threw. It sort of feels like Knoshon Moreno's YPC stats - they seem to contradict what my eyes and brain are telling me.

Manning hasn't unleashed any good looking deep balls this season to my recollection. The best was in the SF preseason game, but that wasn't all that deep.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

I think it's blind allegence for anyone to say Manning is the same QB he was 2 years ago. It's pretty clear to me he is not 100%, but will keep inproving. That along with having new receivers, new coaches, new stadium, etc., it's just going to take several games for everyone to be on the same page and the strength in his arm to return to normal.

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

The problem has been the resistance to going no huddle. Once we go no huddle and get into a groove we've been very good. Also, it's all very new and we look like a team that isn't all the same page yet. Once we get on the same page watch out NFL defenses.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I know this is an unpopular viewpoint, but frankly I don't trust the Michael Smith analysis, or the idea that MNF was able to clock one pass that Manning threw. It sort of feels like Knoshon Moreno's YPC stats - they seem to contradict what my eyes and brain are telling me.

Manning hasn't unleashed any good looking deep balls this season to my recollection. The best was in the SF preseason game, but that wasn't all that deep.
    He threw that pinpoint deep pass to decker that was dropped against Atlanta. I have no doubt his arm strength has decreased a little if for no other reason than aging, which happens to almost every QB, but as has been noted, deep bombs have never really been what he kills you with. He's always been more deadly in the short to intermediate range. Either that or my view has just been clouded by all of his games against the Broncos in which we played our DBs 10 yard off and he killed us underneath time and time again.

23. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I think it's blind allegence for anyone to say Manning is the same QB he was 2 years ago. It's pretty clear to me he is not 100%, but will keep inproving. That along with having new receivers, new coaches, new stadium, etc., it's just going to take several games for everyone to be on the same page and the strength in his arm to return to normal.
    What Simmons said is quite a bit different than "he's not the same QB he was 2 years ago". He's pretty much calling him Chad Pennington now.

25. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

I think the lines to DT down the middle for the TD (that was dropped)...and the 38 yard completion to Decker while moving to his right (came back because of a holding call)... showed that the arm strength complaint is pretty off base.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information