Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL considering suspending Joe Mays

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

So the Texans retaliated a hit on their PR by going after the franchise QB? That's reasonable.......
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    The problem is is that there's no defined "strike zone" on these defenseless player hits. They vary from ref to ref for both receivers and QBs. You can't hit a QB low because of the Tom Brady cry-baby rule, so that leaves above the waist. If you hit a QB in the chest, the impact forces his head forward and it makes contact with the defenders' helmet which makes it helmet to helmet. That leaves about a foot between the belt and the lower edge of the sternum to hit a QB legally. If the QB or receiver lowers his head, even if the defender has already lowered his pad level, and the helmets touch, it's helmet to helmet and the defender's fault.

I understand player's safety concerns with blows to the head, but they have to find some way to determine incidental contact based on where the defender makes contact and where the offensive players body is positioned.
    I agree with your post over all, but don't think it applies to this situation. It's pretty clear from the slow motion replay that Mays gives a mini head butt at the point of impact. I'm not necessarily saying he was trying to injure Schaub, but he was looking to get a big hit on the QB. If he makes contact with his upper chest or shoulder, there's no penalty. But the initial contact is clearly the crown of the helmet and that IS a dangerous play.

We're already seeing guys getting better making contact with their chest/shoulder and still laying wood. Mays just needed an extra half step, but he got lazy or selfish.
    If not me, who?

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by shank View Post
    the problem here is that mays lead with his helmet, not his shoulder. what happens happens, i'd be up in arms if the shoe was on the other foot.
    Agreed. He lead with his helmet end of story and I would be livid if that happened to Manning.

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

How the **** do you suspend a guy for his first offense? No problem with him getting a fine, but Mays is no Harrison where he is getting fined every week. No Fun League.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived BigDaddyBronco For This Post:

That was an old-school thump. I hate what the league is becoming.

7. The Following 3 Users High Fived Mike For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

I want to guys to think about something for a bit.

Imagine Joe Mays was white, and Matt Schaub was black.

Signed,
    RationalFan

9. The Following 4 Users High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyBronco View Post
    How the **** do you suspend a guy for his first offense? No problem with him getting a fine, but Mays is no Harrison where he is getting fined every week. No Fun League.
    It's easy for BRONCO fans to turn on Mays because it seems many here don't like him to begin with. If Mays gets suspended, then Golden Tate should as well with his hit.

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

If you helmet-to-helmet a QB and rip part of his EAR off, the play after you just got a 15 yard roughing the QB penalty by a different player, then yes, I would expect a substantial fine/potential suspension.

Von's getting a rep as a guy willing to take the extra step and hit with intent to harm, so I understand his penalty. But Mays did a special-teams number on a QB, and there's no way he's getting away with that right after Von planted Schaub.

Time to take our medicine, probably start Brooking in the middle for a game, and move on.

~G
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

12. The Following 4 Users High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

I hope he does get suspended. The defense will be better without him.

I hope they suspend Rahim, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

14. The Following User High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Eat your own, huh!

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Is Nate Irving breathing on his own?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by shank View Post
    this is not one of those hits IMO. he didn't even use his arms and lead with the crown of his helmet. regardless of where the contact is made, it's not a safe way to hit. he coulda laid some nasty wood with his shoulder instead of his helmet.
    I forget what game it was i was watching but a DB laid a sweeeeet hit on a receiver just using his shoulder. But, we all know its always that easy as all it takes is a receiver or QB to lower and change the degree of their body to make it a helmet to helmet, etc. In Mays case, looks like he was dealing a blow. Either out of frustration of the game or payback but he definitely lead with the helmet. From a football standpoint, i love the hit. Its part of the game for me but unfortuantely it costs you a penalty with a possible fine/suspension.

Adopted Bronco:
    Terrell Davis #30

Maybe they should play "powder puff" football, or flag football?

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

Quote Originally Posted by capt. Jack View Post
    Maybe they should play "powder puff" football, or flag football?
    Its moving in that direction. Gooddell wants it to be more like international soccer, so as to appeal to the french

You may get your wish. I have a feeling the league is gonna stick it to Mays for that Schaub hit. He is the perfect candidate to take a suspension AND fine he isn't a big name, well known player throughout the league.
    I posted that yesterday. You had to know this was coming. The league was waiting for the right scenario to suspend someone for a hit and Mays is the perfect candidate.

It will be interesting listening to the fine about player safety all while these refs compromise the players on every play.

Truth be told, the players should walk out and join the refs. The league would fix matters in an instant. I guarantee they would not want to face the prospect of having to reconfigure/reschedule the PO's or Super Bowl. The owners would not want to lose a week's worth of revenue either!

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information