Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Criticism of Denver's WRs

Default Criticism of Denver's WRs

A recurring theme on here since the Houston loss has been never-ending criticism of Eric Decker's "drops," Thomas' unreliability/not dragging his feet, etc. There are some things I can criticize these guys for: Eric Decker's punt return "decision" (though this duty is not his usual job), his slide, etc. I'm not going to comment on those. However, for the people ranting and yelling about the drops and so forth, I'm sorry to be blunt, but you simply are not watching the games or understand it.

A "drop" is not an official stat on nfl.com, but many sites record this. Guys like Finley, Brandon Marshall, Witten, Victor Cruz, Wes Welker, Laurent Robinson, etc all have the same or more drops based on the sites I have looked at. Many catches are not easy and would be dropped by many NFL receivers. Needing to make an insane jump ball over a defenders head and landing without the ball is not a "drop." A safety jumping in front of a ball and deflecting a pass does not count as a "drop." The deflected ball that went to Dreesen in the end zone is not a "drop" but rather a pretty tough short bullet pass between defenders. Eric Decker had one real "drop" in Houston's game...the one immediately prior to him making a good 22 yard catch along the sideline in the second quarter. I welcome anyone to show me video evidence of another example, or to cite the play (I have Game Rewind so I can watch it). Maybe he had two...I'd be welcomed to be proven wrong. All I know is he is tied for #10 in receiving yards in the league.

Thomas did have some drop issues, but has already established himself as one of the more dominant receivers in the NFL. It happens to everyone, and as much as it's frustrating to see passes dropped, it happens to everyone and Denver is not exception. Terrell Owens had issues with this on slant routes, and Braylon Edwards had drop issues. Yet no one was complaining after they single-handedly can take over a game. Dragging your feet along the back of the end zone is not a trivial task. He was inches away from being two-feet in bounds and either thought he had those few inches or couldn't fully drag his feet. There's no evidence it had anything to do with some fundamental lack of effort or ability on his part. At least one commenters said "they have almost given up on DT." Sorry, but you just don't understand football, and I welcome you to point to another person that Denver could sign who would have a larger impact.

I realize people are frustrated but Eric Decker and Thomas are widely regarded (by people who know what they are talking about) as a rather legitimate WR duo, and a young one that can be here for a while. It is even more frustrating to see frustrated people blame non-issues. I fully suspect that within a few years they could be one of the best in the league with a good QB. Our losses most certainly did not have anything to do with these guys and their ability to perform. Much more fundamental has been the chemistry between players and the pre-snap/post-snap "reads" (e.g., responding to the defense's play with an appropriate counter-play). Our lack of talent is simply not the issue on offense, so please stop complaining if someone dropped a ball that wouldn't have changed the game anyway, and start cheering on the team that you are supposed to be a fan of.
    Last edited by cmc0605; 09-24-2012 at 08:55 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I don't care what an unofficial statsheet says. I know from watching with my own two eyes that Decker lets too many catchable balls go through his hands, and has for a couple of seasons now.

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
    I don't care what an unofficial statsheet says. I know from watching with my own two eyes that Decker lets too many catchable balls go through his hands, and has for a couple of seasons now.
    every receiver on our roster not named brandon stokely does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I don't know much about anything. In fact, I am one of the dumbest people alive.

4. The Following 4 Users High Fived shank For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by shank View Post
    every receiver on our roster not named brandon stokely does.
    I agree, but at least Thomas makes enough big plays to offset it. Decker, not so much.

I'm never one to shout for us to bring in the shiny big-name FA, but if our WR play doesn't improve, I wouldn't be opposed to at least taking a sniff at Burress, TO, or Johnson. Couldn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
    I agree, but at least Thomas makes enough big plays to offset it. Decker, not so much.

I'm never one to shout for us to bring in the shiny big-name FA, but if our WR play doesn't improve, I wouldn't be opposed to at least taking a sniff at Burress, TO, or Johnson. Couldn't hurt.
    Yup, being tied for #11 in receiving yards is just junk. He hasn't made any good catches, like for 35 yards, or for 22 yards, for 26 yards, etc. We should certainly replace him with guys in their mid 30's and after injuries because he dropped a ball.

Glad our coaches/front office don't take this approach:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by cmc0605 View Post
    Yup, being tied for #11 in receiving yards is just junk. He hasn't made any good catches, like for 35 yards, or for 22 yards, for 26 yards, etc. We should certainly replace him with guys in their mid 30's and after injuries because he dropped a ball.
    Where did I say replace? I said bring in for a sniff. It would be silly to get rid of Decker at this point, but I don't think extra competition would hurt.

And spare me the numbers. Plays like the deep ball against Atlanta he dropped in a big situation and his pvssy slide yesterday are more telling to me than empty numbers.

8. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Why does it have to be that if you don't kiss every players' ass then you're not a fan?.......
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

10. The Following 3 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Why does it have to be that if you don't kiss every players' ass then you're not a fan?.......
    I have no problem with not liking a player, but I do have issues with people making up numbers and making up their own facts. Yes, I didn't like when Decker slid. Marvin Harrison used to do it too and he was one of the best in history. I used to call the Colts sissies too because they didn't like to take hits.he might have gotten two more yards if he lowered his shoulder. But I don't know Decker and I'm not aware of anyone asking him about it. Peyton had plenty of good things to say about him in the preseason, and I'd trust his judgment over angry fans who never met the guy.

None of this excuses people just making things up or trying to pretend that our guys are dropping a largely disproportionate amount of catchable balls (compared to anyone else in the league for example). The good thing about America is you have every right to think what you want, just like the people who think Tebow is our best option have the right to say that, or that evolution or human global warming are not real, or that we didn't land on the moon...rational people also have the right to say that you are simply wrong.
    Last edited by cmc0605; 09-24-2012 at 09:36 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Eric, Eric, he's our man, if he can't do it no one can. Whoot, whoot.......
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

13. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Who's making stuff up cmc??

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

Its always amusing when someone comes on here to pontificate about how their Bronco loyalty and football knowledge is superior to other fans. ******* hilarious

16. The Following User High Fived Dzone For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cmc0605 View Post
    he might have gotten two more yards if he lowered his shoulder.
    look at it again. he had stokely blocking and no one within a few yards of him. he left a LOT of potential yards on the field when he slid. if it was a brain fart (no reason he should have ever thought it was a good idea..) then that's one thing, if he did it to avoid getting tackled, then i have lost a ton of respect for decker.
    I don't know much about anything. In fact, I am one of the dumbest people alive.

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived shank For This Post:

look at it again. he had stokely blocking and no one within a few yards of him. he left a LOT of potential yards on the field when he slid. if it was a brain fart (no reason he should have ever thought it was a good idea..) then that's one thing, if he did it to avoid getting tackled, then i have lost a ton of respect for decker.
    Well let's wait for someone to ask him before we decide he has no heart to play. Maybe he started to slip. Maybe he lost track of the time. Maybe he wanted to trick the Houston defense into not touching him so that he could get up and run in for a free score. I have no idea, but I've seen nothing in the last few years to make me think he simply doesn't want to get hit. I'm not making excuses for him, but I don't know the situation, so this is why I just talked about all the phantom dropped passes in this thread.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

How did you get it from your iPad to here?.......
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information