Thread: Server errors you might have seen and what we are doing to address them - Likely move

Default Server errors you might have seen and what we are doing to address them - Likely move

I posted this as announcement, but for additional coverage, and as a way to get feedback if anyone would like to post such, I am making this thread.
    --------------------------

Some of you may have noticed at various times that you recive an error that starts kind of like:

============
    Database error in vBulletin 3.6.8:

Invalid SQL:

SELECT
    user.username, (user.options & 512) AS invisible, user.usergroupid,
    session.userid, session.inforum, session.lastactivity,
    IF(displaygroupid=0, user.usergroupid, displaygroupid) AS displaygroupid, infractiongroupid
    FROM session AS session
    LEFT JOIN user AS user ON(user.userid = session.userid)
    WHERE session.lastactivity > 1193965939
    ORDER BY username ASC;

MySQL Error : Got error 12 from storage engine
    Error Number : 1030
    Date : Thursday, November 1st 2007 @ 08:42:19 PM
    Script : http://broncosforums.com/forums/
    Referrer :
    ============

A few weeks ago, this happened two days in a row, but it only lasted for a minute or less. About a week ago, we had a couple incidents, and they lasted a bit longer.

Today we had a 1 minute stretch at 1:56, but unfortunately, we had a period of about 40 minutes (7:55 - 8:40) where the error was happening quite routinely.

When this happens, it is because the server that I host BroncosForums.com on is having a load issue and the MySQL database is shut down manually, to ease the burden on the server, or the database crashed.

When I first saw the errors appear weeks ago, I purchased a much larger hosting account, which is a VPS (virtual private server) which while not a dedicated server, it is a virtual server that comes with guaranteed levels of RAM and % of CPU power. The physical server is located in Dallas in the same facility that houses the major telecom, and the company I am leasing the VPS from has direct links to the major telecom's tier1 backbones in that Dallas facility. The VPS will be housed on a Dell Server that is a dual quad-core, meaning it has 8 CPU cores that run at 2.66 ghz, has 16 gb or RAM and is connected to a RAID 10 drive array running 15,000 RPM drives.

So, what this means is that once we move, the forum should be faster to respond, and those errors should go away, since the server won't be overloaded.

I have spent the last three weekends preparing to migrate the server, but since the database errors had slowed down, and the company I am leasing the VPS from was upgrading to these faster servers last week, I decided to hold off. Combine that with the fact I will be out of the country next week, and I felt that now was not the best time to move to a new server.

However, if these problems pop up again to the same degree as they did tonight, either tomorrow or Saturday, then I will probably immediately migrate to the new server (possibly VERY early Sunday AM to minimize downtime) and then just hope that it runs smooth when I am out of the country with limited time to address server issues.

I just wanted to keep everyone in the loop with what I have lined up to deal with server hiccups we are getting everyone once in a while.

T

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Thanks for the update t. If there's anything I can do to help, let me know.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Thinking this through some more, I think I will move the forums to the new server tonight (early Sat AM).

I'm trying to weigh the liklyhood of continued problems with the current webhost, vs. potential problems on the new server when taking into account that I will be out of the country next week and have only small windows of opportunity to get online.

So, since the number of errors has been increasing of late, I think moving is the safest route.

Here is what to expect:

Sometime after midnight, I will shut the forum down. Anyone coming here will see a message saying something like, "the forum will be down for a short period of time, while it is moved to a new server". During this time, I have to back everything up, download the backup, upload it to the new server, restore the backup, do a few tests, and then go the the domain registrar and request that BroncosForums.com points to the new server's IP address. I would expect this whole process to take about an hour.

Then, I will change the message that you get if you come here to something like, "Broncosforums.com has moved. It can take 24-48 hours for BroncosForums.com to point to the new server, depending on how quickly your ISP updates their DNS information. In the meantime, you can access the forums by using the IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. As soon as your ISP updates their DNS records, you will once again be able to reach the forums by gong to BroncosForums.com. When you no longer see this message when going to BroncosForums.com, you will know that your ISP has updated their DNS information and everything is back to normal."

At that point, as the message indicates. Once you no longer see the message, then you don't have to use the temporary IP address to access the forums. This period could last anywhere from 15 minutes, to 48 hours, depending on how quickly each persons ISP updates their records.

Overall, other than the inconvenience of some people having to use the temp IP address to connect to the forums, there should be very little actual down time on the forums.

BroncosForums.com is on the new server!!!! If you see this announcement, you are on the new server!!!
    Ok, so far, so good. It appears the server move went very well, and was done in about 25 minutes.

Please provide feedback or PM me if you notice any forum/server issues.

Thanks

T

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information