Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Tablet

Adopted Bronco:
    Quan Cosby

get a ipad

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    I know this thread is about tablets, but I think I want one of the new Google Chromebooks. The 250$ Samsung one in particular. Anyone used one yet, thoughts, etc?

Just make sure you are ok with the limitations first, here is a site that has some good explanations about it.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/goo...nd-cant-do/106

So I went with the Motorola Xoom. Has anyone messed with one? I ordered it and it should be here Tuesday or Wednesday.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    Swype FTW
    I absolutely love swype. Makes tying on a tablet incredibly easy.

Adopted Bronco:
    PFM!

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
    I absolutely love swype. Makes tying on a tablet incredibly easy.
    I have Swype on the Droid phone but my Toshiba tablet has a different type of it. Swype isn't compatible with tablets apparently, or at least mine.

Adopted Bronco:
    PFM!

Quote Originally Posted by hotcarl View Post
    get a ipad
    Have a nice ban.

I got my Xoom. I like it so far.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Not a tablet, but has anyone tried out any of the Chromebook devices? Thinking about getting the Samsung Chromebook.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Samsung, Joe. The reviews I read about the Chromebook were all favorable. My girlfriend is bringing me back a Samsung galaxy note 10.1 tablet when she gets back from California.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

It'll be interesting - doing EVERYTHING in the cloud. Looks like I'm in the #1 spot to win one at work. Given away tomorrow.

Sucks being in 2nd place. The winner is getting a 55" LCDTV. I'm within striking distance, but think I'll get the Chromebook.

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

So, after a few weeks getting used to not being able to install programs, etc. I like the environment of the Chromebook. As long as you have a hotmail/msn/live account, you can get Word & Excel virtually via SkyDrive and save on a traditional PC. Most of what I do is online anyway, so so far, a very good experience. Battery life is GREAT, WiFi strong. Love Chrome browsing - it remembers my username and password even if I've never visited that site on the Chromebook itself.

Little things like the speakers stink, getting used to the touchpad and a different way to right click, scroll, etc are minor inconveniences.

13. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

I got a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 a couple of weeks ago. I like it a lot. $549 with a 32 gb memory and I put a micro sd card with another 32 gb. My girlfriend got an Ipad 4 with 16gb and she loves it but the memory is almost full already. Ive been using an iphone for a while but it doesnt take long to get used to android. Jelly bean something or other. I would recommend. Estela said they are coming out with a new Note so one like mine might even be cheaper soon.

Joe, how are you liking your new tablet?

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Lol, nevermind. A chromebook is a laptop right?

My bad. I'm civil disobeding in my apartment today.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Yep - a laptop, although I have the Samsung Galaxy for my phone, and a nexus 7 for a tablet as well.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

This thread hasn’t been bumped in 7 years In tech years, that means were now discussing the grandchildren and great-grandchildren of tech discussed prior to this post

The 1st 2 tablets that I purchased had 1 thing in common, they were both bargain basement models that were on the brink of being taken off the market in favor of updated versions. This may have had something to do with my dissatisfaction with both. Nevertheless, I would like to get the input of our techies to avoid a repeat of the problems that I had before.

1) Galaxy Tab 2 (2012-13): The only other tablet options then were the I-pad and the stripped-down generics. Being anti-Apple since the ‘90s, the GT2 with its Android operating system that I had become accustom with my Android smartphone, it was the only option I entertained. One of my main uses for it was to access MS Office files that I created on my Windows 7 laptop. However, what showed up on the tablet, especially in terms of the layout of my PowerPoint slides, was not exactly like I created on my laptop. I assumed that there may have been some compatibility issues between Windows and Android that cause the problems. If this problem has been worked out since, then this would no longer be a reason to not buy the latest Galaxy Tab.

2) Microsoft Surface (2015): In order to avoid the compatibility issues that I assumed I had before, I got a tablet with the Windows 8 operating system access the MS Office files that I created on my Windows 8 laptop. By the time I bought it, the Surface Pro 4 had just hit the market. Those programs worked fine, but a fringe benefit that I assumed that I would also have, the ability to play my higher quality (when compared to what’s available from the app stores) Windows games. I now have a membership with Steem.com and being able to play games that I’ve purchased there would be a decisive factor in buy the latest Surface.

I also discovered that the cheapy models lacked enough RAM & big enough HD, as did the laptop my stepdad bought me 2 Christmases ago. I just upgrade my laptop to 8GB of RAM & a 512GB SSD, 175GB are still available. If the only games that I can play on a tablet are the lower quality games available in the app stores, then why would I need any more then the 4GB RAM & 128GB HD available in the more budget friendly models? One thing for sure, if I don’t need a TB HD for my laptop, there’s no way I would need 1 for a tablet.

I had to do 2 separate Google Shopping searches because I couldn’t select both the 12-14 and over 14 inches screen size for the same search, here’s the links for the results:

12-14 inchs: https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...BNsQuisI5wIoBA

Over 14 inches: https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...w=1366&bih=584

My next tablet will come from 1 or these 2 list.

Oh, and what kind of bells & whistles do some of the more expensive models with less RAM & smaller HDs have that the lower price models of the same brand with more RAM & bigger HDs don’t have.
    Last edited by FanInAZ; 05-10-2020 at 08:45 PM.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information