Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for Tablet

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Default Looking for Tablet

I am wanting to get a tablet. I am not sure what to go with. I do not own a single Apple product....start off with that tidbit. However not going to say no to Ipad. There is also the Samsung Tablets, Kindle Fire and Microsoft Surface.

I am not looking for one that can be connected to a 4g network only wi-fi. I know there some savvy comp/nerds out there and looking for opinions. I want something that has long battery life and easy to travel with. I have a small laptop that blows chunks but good for work trips where I need word. This would mostly be used for internet/movies ect. Basically something easy for traveling with.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

I'd probably go with the Kindle Fire. Its perfect for movie watching and apps, and the wifi model is cheap. Good quality little tablet, too. As far as web browsing on it, I know it has its own browser which is probably just fine.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

I have a LePan, which has far exceeded my expectations.

I bough my mom a Kindle Fire, and am SUPER impressed with it... at the time I bought it, it was 199. Now its dropped to 149, and for what you get, you can't beat it. GREAT HD screen...perfect for watching movies, TV.. browsing the net. I spent 400+ on my IPad, and don't think I have anything over the FIRE.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    I bough my mom a Kindle Fire, and am SUPER impressed with it... at the time I bought it, it was 199. Now its dropped to 149, and for what you get, you can't beat it. GREAT HD screen...perfect for watching movies, TV.. browsing the net. I spent 400+ on my IPad, and don't think I have anything over the FIRE.
    Thats about what everyone I know says about it if they own one. If I ever get a tablet, I definitely lean towards those.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Only drawback to the Fire is you're limited on the apps it will run. Really limited, in fact. If you go with a true android tablet, you'll have access to all Google play apps.

7. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Side Note: You can root the Fire, but that voids the warranty... My wife has a Fire - it's pretty cool, but even apps like words with friends isn't available as a download. I had to download with my LePan, save it to the computer and load it manually on the Fire. Not terrible, but every time there is an update, you have to rinse and repeat.

9. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

what apps does the Fire have?

What about the SURFACE?

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror218 View Post
    what apps does the Fire have?

What about the SURFACE?
    From what I understand most of the major apps (Netflix, HBOGO, etc.) are cross platform. Other than that you are at the mercy of the OS and contracts they have. If you really want apps I think the iPad is tops followed by Android. There is always a similar version of every app on different platforms in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Only drawback to the Fire is you're limited on the apps it will run. Really limited, in fact. If you go with a true android tablet, you'll have access to all Google play apps.
    Other than he free books and stuff if you have Amazon prime, I would go with the Nexus 7 over the fire (I have both), because the Fire runs a very restricted version of Android, and a lot of apps don't run on it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Forum Runner

13. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

There will eventually be much more apps for any Android then the IPad....simply because the android is open source. There are much more android phones being sold than the Iphone, and many more android pads being sold than the Ipad.... simply because there are many more models for the android. So what that means, is those that are wanting to sell their apps, and get it out to as many people as possible.... are not going to avoid making an android version. It would be stupid to avoid the largest market. So going with an Android will give you access to as many apss as you want, and probably any app that you want.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    This is a good point and one I didn't have knowledge of, because I got the pad for my mom, and don't use it for myself.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    There will eventually be much more apps for any Android then the IPad....simply because the android is open source. There are much more android phones being sold than the Iphone, and many more android pads being sold than the Ipad.... simply because there are many more models for the android. So what that means, is those that are wanting to sell their apps, and get it out to as many people as possible.... are not going to avoid making an android version. It would be stupid to avoid the largest market. So going with an Android will give you access to as many apss as you want, and probably any app that you want.

I wonder (I'm sure you can) jailbreak the iPad like the phone. That gives you nearly limitless apps. Those developers make great ones, too. I love my Nintendo Emulator!

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Any downsides to the Nexus 7? Sounds like only drawback to Fire is the app accessibility.

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror218 View Post
    Any downsides to the Nexus 7? Sounds like only drawback to Fire is the app accessibility.
    No 3g, no camera. There are a few apps that hasn't been updated to work with Android 4.1, the latest version of Android, which the Nexus runs.

Other than that, it's thinner and nicer than the original Fire. Not sure how it compares to the new one.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Forum Runner

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information