Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Tablet

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

So I did get the nexus 7 for my b-day. Thing is pretty sweet. What do you guys us for accessing forum? He BF app or another app or just website?

2. The Following User High Fived NightTerror218 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror218 View Post
    So I did get the nexus 7 for my b-day. Thing is pretty sweet. What do you guys us for accessing forum? He BF app or another app or just website?
    I just use chrome. I think TNed uses the BF app or forum runner.

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    I just use chrome. I think TNed uses the BF app or forum runner.
    there any must have apps for the N7? Also in chrome I can not see images people post.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror218 View Post
    there any must have apps for the N7? Also in chrome I can not see images people post.
    Seriously? Interesting, I get the images. Try Firefox or Dolphin. Must have.... explore Google voice, open the Google now hit the mic and say Denver Broncos, weather, will it snow next week, mess around.

I use GTasks to keep all my to-do list stuff organized. Check out tablet recommendations on the market, just hit apps and staff picks.

A brief review of the Microsoft Surface:

Current version only has WinRT, which means you CANNOT install legacy windows applications on it, you can ONLY install apps from the windows store. I am ok with this, remember...it is a tablet not really a laptop so smaller hard drive and power.

Not a ton of apps yet but constantly growing. There are about 17,000 apps for the WinRt version right now.

Has a USB port on it to connect devices such as a mouse or an external keyboard. You can hook up devices such as a printer as well but driver compatibility is an issue at the moment.

WIFI only, no other way to connect to a network. There are some, reference the compatibility remark above, devices you can connect for USB to Ethernet and supposedly some of the network sticks work.

Comes packaged with office home 2013. Right now preview version, upgrade is free once it is ready.

There are some things you have to do that takes you out of the metro ui mode and into desktop mode. This was a stupid feature, not exactly touch friendly as well. You must use office from desktop, they didn't create a metro app for it.

Flash with IE10 works in the metro version but only for approved sites. Most of the sites I go to are approved and work but there are some I have gone to where it does not.

Very sturdy hardware, maybe a little too much as it is a little heavy.

Right now there are a few issues with the WIFI as it sometimes just drops the connection. Supposedly they are working on this.

Sound is bad if you just use the built in speakers, head phones are great. The built in speakers just are not very loud, wifes kindle hd is much louder.

You can put in a SD card on it and store all your music / videos in there but it won't allow you to put the media on there out of the box at the moment. Have to do a couple steps to basically force the system to look for music there. Not difficult but should work out of the box.

Overall I really like it but it needs some refinement. Any questions on it just ask.
    Last edited by Rick; 12-08-2012 at 03:14 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived Rick For This Post:

A couple extra points as I notice that I mentioned quite a few of the quirks about the system but left out some of the good.

I can't stress enough the integrated Microsoft office. It doesn't have access or outlook as it is the home model but it has word, excel, power point and one note(what ever the hell that is, I've never used it). As I mentioned it would be much better if they built that as a windows store app...but at least it is there.

The metro UI is an absolute joy to work in, very fluid and can easily organize it any way you want. This is what makes it so obvious how much of an anti joy it is to work on the desktop mode and makes me feel very strongly that they should have designed the WinRT version to have no need for the desktop at all.

The windows store is very easy to navigate, probably the navigation of both the windows store and the navigating of apps in the metro UI are the nicest of any tablet I have messed with, just need give it some time for more apps.

The WinRT version has an ARM processor so it gets good battery time and also doesn't get very hot.

The biggest complaints I have seen around the internet and there are even a lot of people saying they will return it because of, is the inability to install legacy applications. I would ask...are there ANY tablets you can install legacy applications on?? And again, trust me on this, if you use it as a tablet and use it mostly with touch screen and do not use the mouse you would hate using legacy apps on this. It is just not friendly for touch in the desktop mode. The windows store apps are very fluid for touch and are MUCH nicer to use with the touch.

Just wanted to toss out these extra pieces, hope I gave a fair assessment of the tablet.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

I feel old fashioned when it comes to tablets. I'd just as soon have a smaller laptop. It just seems so backwards, everyone wants a keyboard to go with their touchscreen. Its like going to the guy who invented the door and saying, "Hey! I have a great idea! When people want to get from one room to another we can break a hole in the wall!".

If i had a tablet I'd use it for the same thing I use my smart phone for which is games, music, and movies. And hardcore por... I mean, marketing apps.

Adopted Bronco:
    All of them

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    I bough my mom a Kindle Fire, and am SUPER impressed with it... at the time I bought it, it was 199. Now its dropped to 149, and for what you get, you can't beat it. GREAT HD screen...perfect for watching movies, TV.. browsing the net. I spent 400+ on my IPad, and don't think I have anything over the FIRE.
    I've been seriously tempted to get a Kindle Fire.
    My only concern, I've seen some people say it gets heavy to hold after a while compared to the regular Kindle.

I prefer my Microsoft Surface over my wife's kindle fire hd but that is mainly due to what I use it for, which the main app I use is Xbox music, a music account I have had for years.

My wife however loves her kindle fire hd and takes it everywhere. I haven't heard her complain any about the weight.

One thing we bought for her when she got the kindle is a case that has a strap for her hand while holding it so maybe that helps.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o05_s00_i02

It is for the kindle fire hd, not the regular kindle fire, so keep that in mind.
    Last edited by Rick; 12-23-2012 at 10:03 PM.

12. The Following User High Fived Rick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PFM!

I have a Toshiba Excite. Runs on Droid and has 16gig internal memory plus a memory expansion slot with a 32 gig card in it. Battery life is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
    I have a Toshiba Excite. Runs on Droid and has 16gig internal memory plus a memory expansion slot with a 32 gig card in it. Battery life is excellent.
    Shut up nerd!

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

I know this thread is about tablets, but I think I want one of the new Google Chromebooks. The 250$ Samsung one in particular. Anyone used one yet, thoughts, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    I feel old fashioned when it comes to tablets. I'd just as soon have a smaller laptop. It just seems so backwards, everyone wants a keyboard to go with their touchscreen. Its like going to the guy who invented the door and saying, "Hey! I have a great idea! When people want to get from one room to another we can break a hole in the wall!".

If i had a tablet I'd use it for the same thing I use my smart phone for which is games, music, and movies. And hardcore por... I mean, marketing apps.
    Tablets are becoming the new laptop. People don't want the old, heavy,laptop...but at the same time, trying to type ANYTHING out on a tablet with the touch screen sucks ass.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Tablets are becoming the new laptop. People don't want the old, heavy,laptop...but at the same time, trying to type ANYTHING out on a tablet with the touch screen sucks ass.
    Swype FTW

Adopted Bronco:
    VON

I got the N7 and I can see the photos I had to install an app to make it happen though.

Thanks MasterShake!!!

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information