Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Bronco fans told they can't wear Peyton Manning jerseys to school

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Bronco fans told they can't wear Peyton Manning jerseys to school

Ahead of Sunday’s big game between the Denver Broncos and Pittsburgh Steelers, some students in Greeley, Colo., are upset over an anti-gang policy that prohibits them from wearing Peyton Manning’s No. 18 jersey.

The future Hall of Fame quarterback, who the Broncos signed during the off season, has given fans hope the team can build on its unlikely playoff drive of a year ago, and jerseys emblazoned with his name and number are a huge seller throughout the state. But how can a Bronco fan express his devotion if the jersey remains in a drawer?

“They told me I couldn’t wear 18 anymore because it’s a gang number and I had to take it off,” said Konnor Vanatta during an interview with FOX31 Denver on Tuesday.
    rest - http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/0...#ixzz25clqQsgK

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

18 is a gang number? huh? Man, what a crock o crap. Stick with a Tebow jersey to be safe.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I'm a little surprised it took this long to get to the media. There was a list of numbers kids can't wear that went out with class and school supply lists. Whole school district too, even the little kids.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Okay...

We have some ****** up priorities as a country when we ban children from wearing a certain number on a jersey...

If I was a dad in that area, I'd make sure to go to every PTA meeting - wearing a #18 Peyton Manning jersey. Good luck making me take it off...

I wonder if these numbers have also been banned from the district's High School football teams? If they aren't, it's hypocrisy at the highest levels. When I was in high school, we always wore our football jerseys to school on game days. So much nonsense.
    Last edited by HORSEPOWER 56; 09-05-2012 at 06:25 PM.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

5. The Following 6 Users High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    Okay...

We have some ****** up priorities as a country when we ban children from wearing a certain number on a jersey...

If I was a dad in that area, I'd make sure to go to every PTA meeting - wearing a #18 Peyton Manning jersey. Good luck making me take it off...
    Unfortunately, Greeley has a pretty bad gang problem. The gangs ruined the ability to wear those numbers.

Personally, I don't like it, but do you want open gang activity in school?
    Last edited by HORSEPOWER 56; 09-05-2012 at 06:31 PM.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

7. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Unfortunately, Greeley has a pretty bad gang problem. The gangs ruined the ability to wear those numbers.

that is it....no more red, green, or blue.....all gang colors.......complete bull ban numbers......if you have gang activity in the school then you have more problems then a sports jersey.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived NightTerror218 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    VON

I hope Manning signs each of the jersey's or Von gives them all a 58 or something..... I get the issue, but no one should ever be discouraged from wearing broncos gear!!!!!

Thanks MasterShake!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror218 View Post
    that is it....no more red, green, or blue.....all gang colors.......complete bull ban numbers......if you have gang activity in the school then you have more problems then a sports jersey.
    Yeah, actually that's also part of the dress code. No solid colors. Of course, that's not mentioned in that article.

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

How does wearing a number on a jersey promote gang activity? Peyton Manning's Denver Broncos' jersey has nothing to do with gang activity. All they're doing is letting the influence of the gangs win and scare them into doing stupid, pointless things. If they don't like it, create a dress code and make all the kids dress in the same school uniform, or ban any type of athletic jerseys. Banning certain numbers is absolutely ridiculous. Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't ban "69" because of the sexual connotations.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

13. The Following 3 Users High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

How does wearing a number on a jersey promote gang activity? Peyton Manning's Denver Broncos' jersey has nothing to do with gang activity. All they're doing is letting the influence of the gangs win and scare them into doing stupid, pointless things. If they don't like it, create a dress code and make all the kids dress in the same school uniform, or ban any type of athletic jerseys. Banning certain numbers is absolutely ridiculous. Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't ban "69" because of the sexual connotations.
    Because 18 is worn by the 18th Street Gang, which has a presence in Greeley.

15. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

from article:
    A spokesperson for Weld County District 6 explained the policy has been around for over three years and applies to the numbers 13, 14,18, 31, 41 and 81.

Not to be discouraged, Vanatta wore a number 61 jersey to school on Tuesday to protest the policy.
    rest - http://kdvr.com/2012/09/04/mannings-...ounty-schools/

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

17. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

huge presence. Go ahead and encourage a kid to wear the 18 and then explain to his family what happened when he gets the *&^* kicked out of him by a rival gang. It's sad that they've had to adopt such extreme measures but it is what it is. The safety of the children should be top priority over wearing a jersey. And if you don't think gangs take colors and symbols that seriously then you quite frankly have no idea what you're talking about. People get killed over that kind of stuff.

19. The Following 6 Users High Fived Jsteve01 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Pretty much how i look at it. Its one thing if you have a homemade jersey with no team logo and are sporting it around as a gang sign/whatever. But, a NFL jersey? Come on thats just ridiculous. Nice call on "69", i was thinking the very same thing today. lol

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    huge presence. Go ahead and encourage a kid to wear the 18 and then explain to his family what happened when he gets the *&^* kicked out of him by a rival gang. It's sad that they've had to adopt such extreme measures but it is what it is. The safety of the children should be top priority over wearing a jersey. And if you don't think gangs take colors and symbols that seriously then you quite frankly have no idea what you're talking about. People get killed over that kind of stuff.
    The same thing happened in the early 90s with the "CR" Colorado Rockies hats. The Crips were wearing them and turning into one of their trademark symbols.

22. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Because 18 is worn by the 18th Street Gang, which has a presence in Greeley.
    I highly doubt that kid who was wearing the Manning jersey was a gang member.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information