Page 215 of 766 FirstFirst ... 115 165 205 213 214 215 216 217 225 265 315 715 ... LastLast
Results 3,211 to 3,225 of 11487

Thread: The Official Denver Nuggets Thread!

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoAV06 View Post
    At this point I hope Denver can hold on to home court in a first round series.
    They are a tired team. Scott Hastings was talking on The Fan today, and he said that no other playoff team, had this kind of late season road trip. Just like last night - they play in Orlando, and then fly to Dallas to play tonight, and Dallas was off yesterday, just relaxing and waiting for the game tonight.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Lets not panic. Even during this horrid stretch remember Denver is still the 2nd best team in the west. Denver is going to end the season strong and we will have all forgetten about that nightmare of a road trip the Nugs just faced.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

I really think Dallas closed that gap at the trade deadline.

The Nuggets are under .500 on the road, play down to teams, and yes have beat the top teams but can they bring the effort?

Tired, hurt, things are not rolling Denvers way.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

Adopted Bronco:

The Nuggets are under .500 on the road, play down to teams, and yes have beat the top teams but can they bring the effort?

Dallas is a better team after the trade deadline, but we still lack a leader to step up and put this team on it's back.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by EMB6903 View Post
    Lets not panic. Even during this horrid stretch remember Denver is still the 2nd best team in the west. Denver is going to end the season strong and we will have all forgetten about that nightmare of a road trip the Nugs just faced.

We're experiencing what everyone, including myself, warned against for months. Everyone seemed to agree that if Kenyon or Nene got hurt for any extended period of time we'd be in serious trouble... That's why we were in serious talks to get another big man right up until the deadline. Well, we didn't get our big, and now we're in serious trouble.

As Kenyon's knee goes, so go the Nuggets playoff hopes.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    We're experiencing what everyone, including myself, warned against for months. Everyone seemed to agree that if Kenyon or Nene got hurt for any extended period of time we'd be in serious trouble... That's why we were in serious talks to get another big man right up until the deadline. Well, we didn't get our big, and now we're in serious trouble.

As Kenyon's knee goes, so go the Nuggets playoff hopes.
    Last night, Kenyon joined Hastings and Marlow for a while and said he was starting to shoot again, etc., so it sounds like he is making progress. I am guessing the Nuggets will hold him out until the playoffs, or maybe try to give him a little playing time in the last 1 or 2 games.

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

I am a k-mart fan but that 16 mil player option bites the Nuggets in the ass next year.

Its just like the last few years been screamingg for a young pg, now Denver has to look to forward. Nene really should have bigger games.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Adopted Bronco:

I am a k-mart fan but that 16 mil player option bites the Nuggets in the ass next year.

Its just like the last few years been screamingg for a young pg, now Denver has to look to forward. Nene really should have bigger games.
    There once was a time that people felt the Nuggets should never have offered the huge contract to KMart which they did, and now realize that he is very valuable to the Nuggets. You get what you pay for. KMart may be worth that 16 mil player option next year.

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

Adopted Bronco:

http://twitter.com/viclombardi

RT @denvernuggets: K-Mart happy with progress on left knee. Ran for the first time in four weeks .. hopes to return before playoffs start.

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

10. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

I still say that if this team gets a healthy KMart and Ty Lawson back for the playoffs, they can contend for a championship.

12. The Following User High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

And I thought you guys were sensitive when it comes to April Fools day pranks.......

On a night when the Denver Nuggets should have been celebrating a much-needed victory over the Portland Trail Blazers, the franchise continued to struggle with off-the-court issues when an April Fools' Day joke sparked anything but laughter.

During Denver's 109-92 victory Thursday, a former Nuggets ball boy, Laquan Johnson, got into the club's locker room, took Kenyon Martin's car keys and filled the player's Range Rover with buttered popcorn. The car had a white interior.

Martin
    Martin discovered the damage as he was about to exit Denver's Pepsi Center. At the time, he had no idea who had pulled the prank. Angered, he went back to the locker room spewing profanities and threats at teammates and other members of the organization.

"That ain't no [expletive] joke," Martin said. "I'm going to find out who did it ... put my [expletive] hands on one of y'all. I'm going to put my hands on whoever did it. You better believe that. It's [expletive] personal. You better believe it."

Martin, who has missed 15 games with a torn patella tendon in his left knee, threatened to boycott the postseason if he did not find out who was responsible.

"How 'bout if I don't play in the playoffs until somebody tells me who did it," Martin said more than once.

Martin stormed in and out of the locker room several times, and a person close to him said his anger was not over the prank, but over the fact that someone could go into his pocket and take his keys during a game. Realizing the culprit had to have access to the private code for the team's gated parking lot, he assumed members of the organization either pulled the stunt or assisted in it.

"The fact that no one saw it or had anything to say about it -- not security, not the equipment manager," a person close to Martin said, explaining the player's anger. "Somebody had to see it. He was wondering how the organization let something like that happen. What if the kid had really wanted to do something evil?"

Later, Martin found out Johnson, the former ball boy who is now the driver for teammate J.R. Smith, was responsible. Johnson apologized to Martin and agreed to pay for the damage to his car.

"It was just an April Fools joke that went horribly wrong," said a member of the Nuggets organization who spoke on the condition of anonymity. "The kid thought it would be funny and it wasn't. Kenyon was back at practice today and everything was fine between him and his teammates."

The episode was the latest in a string of distractions Denver has had to deal with lately. Once regarded as the Western Conference's top challenger to the Los Angeles Lakers, the Nuggets have all but fallen apart down the stretch.

With Martin out and coach George Karl missing games while getting treatment for throat cancer, Denver had lost five of six games before defeating Portland. That stretch dropped them from the second seed to the fifth seed in the West.

Martin, who cannot guarantee he'll be healthy for the playoffs, said before Thursday's game that he hopes to return for the last regular season game or two.

Chris Broussard cover the NBA for ESPN The Magazine
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5051607

just another reason I want Kmart's 16 mil per year off the books, Now dont get me wrong what a stupid idea by a ballboy to play a prank like that and i would be pissed as well... but threatening to boycott the playoffs? what is he 14? what a spoiled brat!

Hes a great defensive presense who has stepped up this year (first year as a Nugget) but for 16 mil per year? we could be getting a much better presense at the 4 or 5.
    Last edited by EMB6903; 04-03-2010 at 04:53 PM.

14. The Following User High Fived EMB6903 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

That has been my point all along with K-Mart. But at the time of the signing I understand why Denver through all the money at him, just happend to run into some big kneee injuries.

Adopted Bronco:

Default Nuggets' Karl draws on strong support in cancer fight

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_14816230

George Karl's neck looks like it's been barbecued, his thinning body swallowed up by a sofa-chair Saturday, and he's feeding himself through a stomach tube. Down the hall, his life partner Kim Van Deraa — the coach's coach — cries in another room of their home, remembering the day their 5-year-old daughter asked, "Mommy, Daddy's not going to die, is he?"

Karl, the Denver Nuggets' coach, has battled throat and neck cancer the past two months, with Van Deraa in his corner, the anchor in his life. He has completed radiation treatments, all 36 of them, and will have his seventh and final scheduled bout with chemotherapy Wednesday. Overcoming this opponent will be the biggest win of his life. But victory might be a long way away.

Van Deraa said Saturday that Karl won't return to coach in the regular season, which ends April 13, and "probably not" the first round of the playoffs.

"To count out all the playoffs, that's up to his body," she said. "Who knows when his return will be? No one knows. He doesn't even know. I'm sure he's hoping that if we go on a playoff run, that he can (coach) this season."

Just because the chemo ends Wednesday doesn't mean the 58-year-old Karl will be ready to yell at the refs any time soon. Returning to anything resembling a normal life will be a slow, and painful, journey.

Van Deraa said Karl, who struggles to even speak now, might need to feed himself liquids through the tube for another three to six months.

Because of his cabinet full of pain medication, Karl has trouble concentrating on a task for long periods of time. Even though the radiation is over, Karl's body could remained feeling "radiated," as she explained, for a couple of weeks.

"One lady, whose husband's been through it, said her husband slowly felt better and went outside to play with the kids for an hour," Van Deraa said. "That hour put him down for 12 hours. Zapped him for half a day. She was trying to warn both of us to take it slow."

"The perfect caregiver"

Van Deraa was already in the business of busy.

The 45-year-old cared for their 5-year-old daughter, Kaci, and the family's two black Labs (Cody and Rookie), she worked a part-time job, took care of their beautiful Crestmoor home and helped her life partner Karl, who just so happened to have one of the most stressful jobs in the state.

Then came a Ubaldo Jimenez-like curveball. Karl had squamous cell carcinoma in his right tonsil, which has metastasized to a lymph node in his neck.

Cancer.

"It's a whole new world that I stepped into," Van Deraa said Saturday.

With that world turned upside down, she became simultaneously the coach's coach, de facto nurse, chauffeur, therapist and motivational speaker, sacrificing her sleep and sanity in the name of love.

"I know this is a significant personal challenge for her," said Bret Adams, Karl's close friend and personal lawyer. "But Kim is the perfect caregiver for George."

She monitors Karl's multitude of medications, sometimes giving him fluids through an IV; she applies creams to his cracked skin and severely chapped lips; she makes sure he climbs out of that sofa-chair and walks around the house for exercise; she maintains a blog (mylifeline.org/georgekarl) so family and friends can follow Karl's fight; she makes sure his oxygen machine is in order before he goes to bed (and then wakes up in the middle of the night because "it's loud"); other times, she wakes up when Kaci climbs into their bed after a nightmare; and, perhaps most valiant of all, she helps clean Karl's suction machine.

"He gets so much mucus that builds up, because when you're going through this, you don't have saliva, so your mouth is susceptible to funguses," Van Deraa said.

"And mucus accumulative. So he has to take this machine and suction out his mouth. It's a little canister with a tube, and you then throw out the mucus and the water accumulation. It's not pretty stuff.

"The first week, when he started doing this, I said, 'George, I'm just going to tell you, there's no way I'm going to clean that out. There's just no way.' It was something I couldn't even look at and not start to gag. Now, I could care less. I can clean it. Now, it's not anything that even bothers me."

That is love.

"Better call a doctor"

Karl doesn't look much like the George Karl that Nuggets fans know. He's lost close to 25 pounds and his voice, when he can force out a few words, sounds like "The Godfather." It hurts for him to even try to smile. That said, on March 19, Van Deraa peered into Karl's blue eyes, "and it was almost like he wasn't there. It was really weird."

Karl's older daughter, Kelci, had just come to Denver with Karl's new grandson, but the coach showed little outward emotion. Karl was acting short-tempered, unlike himself during even this painstaking, painful process.

The next day, a nurse noticed Karl's leg was swollen. On March 21, he walked slowly upstairs to shower, "and it just didn't seem right," Van Deraa said. So she went upstairs and Karl was sitting on the end of a bed.

"Kim, I have so much pain in my leg," he told her. "We better call a doctor."

Karl ended up in the intensive care unit, suffering from blood clots in his leg and his lungs. It was the scariest moment of a spring of scary moments.

It was 7:30 p.m., Kaci's bedtime, and Karl's older daughter was at home with Kaci. So Van Deraa called home, and that's when the 5-year-old asked: "Mommy, Daddy's not going to die, is he?"

Van Deraa explained to her that Karl would win this battle, and that she was going to sleep at the hospital.

"You're not coming home?" Kaci asked.

"No, I have to stay," her mother explained.

"And then Kaci said: 'OK, Mommy, OK, Mommy.' Her voice was wanting to be strong, but she had that scared voice. And I'm just bawling because of her voice," Van Deraa recalled Saturday. "Just to hear her scared was emotional — and still makes me emotional."

That Sunday night, Van Deraa curled up in an uncomfortable vinyl chair in a waiting room, stealing an hour of sleep here and there.

Karl remained hospitalized four days, undergoing three procedures for the blood clots. Before the final one, Karl spoke to some of the doctor's colleagues, trying to scam embarrassing information about the doctor — only then did Van Deraa know Karl was getting back to being himself.

"Need to take care of myself"

Wearing a sundress and a smile, Kaci painted on a living-room easel Saturday morning, occasionally postponing her Picasso-in-progress to pal around with the big black Labs, while her father melted into the chair, buried under a blanket, watching the Toronto-Philadelphia game.

Karl actually hasn't watched much NBA lately — even his own team — but that's by design. The stress of not being able to do anything — after always being in control — can be overwhelming. The team went on a five-game road trip two weeks ago, and Karl seldom watched.

Karl's last time at a game was March 16, when he sat on Denver's bench at the Pepsi Center for the Nuggets- Washington Wizards game.

"His plan was to let (assistant) Adrian Dantley coach, and he would sit back. But (Karl) was doing all the coaching," Van Deraa said. "I was trying to get his attention from the stands and say, 'What are you doing?' That night, just wiped him out. He said to me, 'Don't let me do that again.' "

Karl's passion is basketball; his DNA is laced with orange leather. So it was surreal Saturday, when Karl — normally the all-knowing Nuggets sage — said through his breathy voice, "Tell me about my team."

Last week, Karl's doctor tried to "get a feel of his situation with the Nuggets," Van Deraa said, "and George's comment was: 'I need to take care of myself right now.' And I was so glad that he said that because I wasn't sure where his mind-set was. (The Nuggets) had lost five out of six. Is he going to push himself to a point where he feels he needs to get back sooner? All those things would be running through his head. He said, 'I just know I need to read my body and take care of myself.'

"For me, it was important to hear that because I know how George is. Obviously, he wants to be with the team. How could you not? But he has realized now how he feels."

At worst, Karl will be back next season as the Nuggets' coach, Van Deraa confirmed. But for now, Karl has two priorities: beating cancer and watching Saturday morning cartoons with their daughter.

"He hasn't been able to do that as much," Van Deraa said of the latter, "but this morning, when I came down, they were both sitting in the chair watching cartoons — Kaci sitting on his lap."

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

17. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by EMB6903 View Post
    And I thought you guys were sensitive when it comes to April Fools day pranks.......

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5051607

just another reason I want Kmart's 16 mil per year off the books, Now dont get me wrong what a stupid idea by a ballboy to play a prank like that and i would be pissed as well... but threatening to boycott the playoffs? what is he 14? what a spoiled brat!

Hes a great defensive presense who has stepped up this year (first year as a Nugget) but for 16 mil per year? we could be getting a much better presense at the 4 or 5.
    I am NOT going to hold this against KMart. This is locker room talk - I am sure there is plenty that could not be printed. Also, I wonder if this particular ESPN writer was at the game, and then someone inside the locker room had to have told him every particular, or he was inside the locker room. I checked on the Denver Post site, which does HAVE local writers, inside the locker room, and all they did was reference the ESPN story.

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

Yeah, Kmart went a little nuts. No, his salary is not coming off of the books next year. This team needs Kmart as bad as it needs Melo. This losing streak that was just broken was about playing in spots and disappearing in spots. It was about not having a full time commitment to D. It was also about folks not being afraid to take it into the lane on Denver's end of the court. KMart changes all of that with his attitude, intimidation, leadership, and grit.

20. The Following User High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information