Page 193 of 767 FirstFirst ... 93 143 183 191 192 193 194 195 203 243 293 693 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,895 of 11496

Thread: The Official Denver Nuggets Thread!

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Nuggets' Smith suspended 7 games

This will hurt http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13223490

Nuggets guard J.R. Smith has been suspended for the first seven games of the season, the NBA announced today.

The suspension stems from his pleading guilty to reckless driving from a 2007 auto accident that killed his friend Andre Bell.

Smith already had been suspended by the team for two games at the beginning of the 2007-08 season after the crash.

The Nuggets open the season Oct. 28 at home against Utah, and during that stretch play at Portland, Indiana, New Jersey, Miami and Atlanta. He will be able to rejoin the team for the Nov. 10 at Chicago, which is the fifth game of a six-game road trip.

In its statement, the NBA said he was being suspended "in connection with a 2007 accident resulting in the death of a passenger in Smith's car, and for prior and subsequent motor vehicle offenses."

In a separate release, Nuggets vice president of basketball operations Mark Warkentien, said: "The commissioner's office has made it clear that it wants to set the highest standard of personal conduct for its athletes. We will support J.R. as he continues to deal with the tragic accident he was involved with two years ago and the consequences of his painful mistake. Being that this is strictly a league decision, we will have no further comment."

At Smith's June 30 trial, he was sentenced to 90 days in the Monmouth County (N.J.) jail but the judge suspended all but 30 days provided Smith performs 500 hours of community service.

Because it was his second reckless driving offense, the maximum penalties are 90 days in jail and up to a $500 fine. Smith was fined the maximum plus $39 in other costs.

Smith drove a 2003 GMC Yukon around a stopped car and through a stop sign, according to authorities at the scene of the June 9, 2007 crash. Smith drove through the intersection and his SUV was struck by a car, they said. The Yukon overturned, and Smith and Bell were ejected.

Smith was charged with improper passing, failure to stop, speeding (67-plus mph in a 35 mph area), reckless driving and failure to wear a seat belt. All of the charges were merged into the reckless driving count to which Smith entered the plea.

The judged also suspended Smith's driver's license for two years, which will take effect after his current license suspension ends in March 2010.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:

Default Chauncey Billups Talks with Scott and Al

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

3. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Default Kenyon Martin Talks with The Sports Guys

Kenyon Martin spends some time with Mike and Sandy at King Soopers...

http://www.fm1043thefan.com/channels...spx?ID=1141203

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

You have to love Kmart's confidence about this team. Saying that the rest of the league is making moves to catch up with the Nuggets may be a bit far fetched though. Both him and Chauncey seem to be very high on both Affallo and Lawson. The big question is.... will George Karl finally give in and give some decent minutes to a rook?

6. The Following User High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    You have to love Kmart's confidence about this team. Saying that the rest of the league is making moves to catch up with the Nuggets may be a bit far fetched though. Both him and Chauncey seem to be very high on both Affallo and Lawson. The big question is.... will George Karl finally give in and give some decent minutes to a rook?
    Have to think that the Tar Heel conection and him actually being a 1st round pick will get him some mins. AC is still going to log time to piss Nuggets fans off, (Thats Karl plan, just to piss everyone off....). But I do like the moves to bring in some young gaurds since it was that time to add youth to the PG position.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

Adopted Bronco:

Default Nuggets trade with Houston for James White

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_13395883

The Nuggets acquired swingman James White from the Houston Rockets in exchange for the draft rights to forward Axel Hervelle, a 2005 pick who has yet to play in the NBA.

White has an average of 5.7 points and 2.0 rebounds in 10 career games with San Antonio and Houston.

Originally drafted by Portland in 2006, White played 34 games last season with Anaheim of the NBA Development League, where he averaged 25.9 points, before being called up by the Rockets on March 3. He averaged 1.8 points in four regular season games with Houston and 1.4 points in five playoff appearances.

Hervelle played in Spain last year, averaging 8.1 points and 4.5 rebounds in 45 games for Real Madrid.

AND

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_13398170

"Flight" White glad to land with Denver Nuggets

Suddenly, that Nuggets preseason game against Partizan Belgrade is a little more enticing.

The Nuggets have acquired James "Flight" White, a skywalking, YouTube dunking sensation — who might have the versatility to make the team's roster.

"Looking at the roster, they have 12 guys now, so I figure that I have a good chance making the team if I go out there and work," White said by phone.

On Tuesday, the Nuggets traded the draft rights of Axel Hervelle (who never played for Denver) to Houston for White, who has played in 10 NBA games. But last season, he averaged 25.9 points for Anaheim in the D-League, tying the league high.

"I'm definitely excited, and excited that the Nuggets were looking at me and inquiring about me," the 6-foot-7 White said. "I'm just a guy who likes to make plays on both ends of the court. I like to get out in transition, run the floor, make plays like that. And on the defensive end, get steals and try to defend the best guy that's out there."

White said he has a nonguaranteed contract and will try to make the team, which begins practice Saturday.

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

Adopted Bronco:

Default Nuggets add Graham to roster

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13420687

The Nuggets have acquired free agent Joey Graham, who averaged 7.7 points per game last year with Toronto, multiple sources confirmed. The 6-foot-7 Graham will make around $900,000 and has signed a one-year non-guaranteed contract.

The Nuggets have spent the summer looking at possibilities to replace Linas Kleiza, the reserve who averaged around 10 points a game.

In four seasons in Toronto, Graham averaged 6.4 points and 3.1 rebounds in 17.3 minutes a game.

Innumerable inquiries were made from players ranging from Grant Hill to Wally Szczerbiak to Rashad McCants, but Denver finally settled on Graham. Graham, 27, played at Oklahoma State.

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

10. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

what's that, we got rodney white back?
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

James White is one of the greatest dunkers ive ever seen.. I remember him going between his legs from the FT line during a college dunk contest... hes not much of a player though, good for depth. check out his hops....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9vO8o-zL_Q

I do like the Graham signings, hes a big that can bang who can knock down that midrange jumper.

Just waiting on Denver to sign Wally and the roster will be set.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Lawson is from North Carolina, the school where George Karl played ball.... trust me he will get plenty of minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by EMB6903 View Post
    James White is one of the greatest dunkers ive ever seen.. I remember him going between his legs from the FT line during a college dunk contest... hes not much of a player though, good for depth. check out his hops....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9vO8o-zL_Q

I do like the Graham signings, hes a big that can bang who can knock down that midrange jumper.

Just waiting on Denver to sign Wally and the roster will be set.
    he has hops but didnt make one of thoes dunks

Adopted Bronco:

Default Nuggets guard Smith showing maturity

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_13423804

Jail time this summer has given J.R. a new purpose for game, life

With time frozen, J.R. Smith sat frozen, staring at the prison wall, a prisoner of his own thoughts.

His mind's images were searing — a dying friend, a crying mother.

The Nuggets guard spent 24 long days this summer at Monmouth (N.J.) County Jail, serving time for the 2007 car crash that killed his friend, Andre Bell. For two years, Smith was haunted by the nightmare of that night. And here, he was living a new one.

"When somebody's in that situation, it's hard to ask, 'How are you doing,' " said Denver's Carmelo Anthony, who reached Smith by phone during Smith's sentence. "Because you already know how they're doing. . . . But he fought through it. That's behind him."

Annually this time of year, teammates and coaches talk about Smith growing up. Annually, Smith's shenanigans stunt his growth. But after a sobering July behind bars, Smith's teammates and coaches — and more telling, Smith himself — believe this is the year.

"I think actions speak louder than words," Smith said Friday at the Nuggets' annual media day. "The fact that I've matured and all that stuff is not about saying it, it's about showing it."

In the past couple of months, the shooting guard has shown his maturity with his passionate dedication to basketball. Smith spent numerous days in a Las Vegas gym with Nuggets assistants Tim Grgurich and Jamahl Mosley, as well as Joe Abunassar, the famed basketball trainer who also trains Denver guard Chauncey Billups.

"I have spent a lot of time with J.R. in Vegas," Billups said, "and we've had some very, very in-depth conversations about him growing up. He has an opportunity of a lifetime, and we're going to really need him. We're going to depend on him a lot this year. He is an all-star caliber player. I do think he's recognized that he's made some very immature mistakes not only this summer but the past two, three years. I think he recognizes that he can't continue to do that."

Smith's immaturity and recklessness off the court mirrored some of his immaturity and recklessness on the court. An all-star talent, Smith used to shoot too frequently and defend too infrequently.

But talking to his assistants and watching Smith this summer, coach George Karl believes he has a "more total player" on his hands. What does that mean? More attention to court spacing, seeking assists, hustling on defense and shot selection.

"He's one of the guys in the league who you can't keep in front of you," Karl said, "so he always has the ability to play-make. If he continues to play-make, he has such an upside. Right now, his explosiveness — most of the time — is with his scoring. Now can he add defensive games? Triple-double games? Just-being- a-good-decoy games. I think this is the same thing I said about Melo two to three years ago."

But, as Smith explained, actions speak louder than words.

"I wake up with a purpose — have a goal," said Smith, who turned 24 on Sept. 24. "I need to be who I need to be."

The NBA suspended Smith for Denver's first seven games, a punishment Smith felt was fair, though it will keep him out of some important matchups against Utah and Portland, games that could affect the division outcome. Karl said the team will treat it as if it was an injury, and he likely will give his stars and starters more minutes to make up for Smith's absence.

When Smith returns, Denver will have a player who averaged 14.9 points per game last season and finished fifth in the NBA in both 3-pointers attempted and made. Smith was Denver's delicious reserve last season, and Karl has said the next step is putting Smith in the starting lineup. But even if he doesn't start right away, he will finish games on the court, more often than not.

"And that's more meaningful to me than starting," Karl said.

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

16. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Nuggets just looking to fill that Dhaunty type role. Athletic and willing to do some dirty stuff on both ends with decent size. Like the potential for a few mins from these guys if the crack the roster.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

Adopted Bronco:

Default Denver Nuggets' Kenyon Martin could be getting back to YouTube-worthy self

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_13479954

The old Kenyon Martin lives in highlights on YouTube, complete with a hip-hop sound-track.

That Kenyon Martin dons a New Jersey Nets jersey, and his dunks flat-out bring the noise.

Dribble drives to one-handed slams. Two-handed fast-break specials. Tip dunks over unsuspecting opponents who thought the rebound was theirs. And one ridiculous two-handed dunk squarely in the chops of an Indiana Pacer whose identity will forever be hidden, thanks to the grainy nature of the footage.

Inside of today's Kenyon Martin, the YouTube Kenyon Martin has yearned to be set free.

That, says Martin, will happen this season. He insists his legs feel the best they have since his first season with the Nuggets in 2004, and vows it will most notably be reflected in earth-shattering dunks.

"I'm going to let Melo have his dunk back," Martin joked. "I'm going to get back to my dunk, where I'm swinging off that rim."

But this isn't just about what Martin does above the rim. He comes back to the Nuggets this season in his best shape in years, and that has given him confidence he can return to being the player he remembers being in college and in his early years in the NBA.

Martin is down about 10 pounds from last season. He will play during the season at anywhere between 220 and 230 this year, and "I ain't lost none of my strength," he says.

Getting him there was a summer of not just working out, which he did in Dallas and Orlando, Fla., with coaches and teammates such as Chauncey Billups. He also cleaned up his diet and now works with Carmelo Anthony's chef, Daniel Young.

"I'm using him instead of eating soul food every day," Martin said with a laugh. "I would prefer (soul food), but for my body I can't do it right now. I'll do it during the summer. I'm not allowed fried foods. That's pretty much the main thing that I cut back on.

"I'll do it occasionally. Popeye's is still my favorite. I still need my tacos with the ground beef and all that."

He also worked with a shooting coach, Reggie Morris, who was Oklahoma City guard Russell Westbrook's high school coach in Lawndale, Calif. Morris and Martin covered nearly every type of shot in the book.

"One-dribble stuff, working on my jump hook that I actually have all the time," Martin said. "The stuff that I did well in college, I got back to — the turnaround jump shot over either shoulder. The jump hook. A lot of shots. I'm shooting the ball better now than I ever have in my life, from deep and regular range."

All of that has led to setting goals again.

Martin gave up setting point and rebound goals when his body broke down on him. Two microfracture knee surgeries left him as just a shell of his YouTube self.

Not only did his body suffer, but his effectiveness on the court suffered. Martin, who made an all-star team and averaged 15.1 points and 7.6 rebounds in four seasons with New Jersey, dipped to averages of 13.1 points and 6.6 rebounds in five seasons with the Nuggets.

But Martin played mostly pain-free last season and was the Nuggets' unquestioned leader on defense. Though he will not say what point and rebound averages he'd like to hit, he plans to add more offense to the equation.

"I have to, to take some of that pressure off of those other guys," Martin said. "I think when I'm being passive, I'm kind of in the way of those guys sometimes. Not all the time, but sometimes. So, if I'm more aggressive, then that opens it up for Melo, opens it up for Nene, opens it up for Chauncey.

"I'm going to be more aggressive on offense, and people are going to notice from Day One."

So far, so good in training camp.

"I think he's ready to have a great year," Nuggets coach George Karl said. "He worked on his offense this year as much as anything. He's worked on trying to be a more efficient player when he gets his offensive touches.

"He's shooting the ball better, and he's also making better decisions."

Last season, Martin averaged 11.7 points on 48 percent shooting to go along with 6.0 rebounds per game. He scored in double figures 43 times in the 66 games he played.

"He's so focused right now," Billups said. "He's going to the offensive glass every time. Now, it's not only (Chris Andersen) going to the glass, flying all around, Kenyon's in there flying around. His energy level is up.

"A team like us, we feed off of energy. We feed off of energy plays. Our fans, they feed off of energy plays. Kenyon was great last year, but adding that dimension to his game, it's going to get more people in foul trouble, it's going to break the defense down more, it gives another option.

"It's an added bonus. So, adding another guy like that, it's like having a brand new player."

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoAV06 View Post
    Nuggets just looking to fill that Dhaunty type role. Athletic and willing to do some dirty stuff on both ends with decent size. Like the potential for a few mins from these guys if the crack the roster.
    Aaron Afflalo will fill that role. He is 10x better of a player then dhantay jones was...He is so fundamentally sound and his perimeter defense is tops in the game...I wouldnt be surprised if hes starting at the 2 for the majority of the season.

20. The Following User High Fived EMB6903 For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information