Page 102 of 766 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 100 101 102 103 104 112 152 202 602 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 11488

Thread: The Official Denver Nuggets Thread!

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Nuggets await next course

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12282021

With Mavs on menu, Denver's Big 3 leading feeding frenzy

Occasionally, when the Nuggets win a big game, coach George Karl, a Coors man, proclaims beer tastes like champagne, which begs the question: What, then, does champagne taste like?

Carmelo Anthony took matters into his own hands late Wednesday night — like he did hours earlier in the first-round series-clincher against New Orleans. He toasted Taittinger Prestige Rose Champagne, while surrounded at Jing Restaurant by loved ones and teammates he loves, notably playoff veterans Kenyon Martin and Chauncey Billups, who knew what Anthony was feeling.

" 'I did it' — I said it to everybody who was with me that night," Anthony said the day after he won his first playoff series. "I was saying, 'I did it' because they've been there, they've done it before. Now I've done it. It's a special time."

As the night slipped away, the guests gobbled up the personally prepared plates, be it the salmon sashimi, Vietnamese-style shrimp rolls, pan-seared lobster dumplings or the assortment of fruits, which, of course, tasted like victory.

"The vibe was extremely positive — there was just a sense of team," said Lawrence Yee, the restaurant's managing partner, who organized the gathering. "There was a huge camaraderie vibe there. . . . That sense of, 'Hey, we accomplished something together.' "

That evening, the guys were satisfied and full; the next day, the Nuggets came to work unsatisfied and hungry for more.

"It's here now," Melo said. "There ain't no turning back."

You don't get a banner for winning just one round; no jeweler is working overtime getting rings ready. The Nuggets believe they can make a run past Dallas and a run at the Lakers, whom they would likely meet in the Western Conference finals. To do so will require a fierce focus unseen with the Nuggets in years.

"I think the teams that aren't fine-tuned don't survive the first round, and now, of the eight teams, six of them are probably playing the best basketball they've ever played," Karl said. "And then you get coaches and strategy, and the games are very close.

"The thing I don't think gets enough attention — people say, 'Play hard.' Well, these games now are so far above 'play hard,' it's in a different arena. It's insane how hard we play — the physicality, the focus, the demand, the discipline."

Experience is a skill

On Thursday, a sun-drenched day that could make a whole office call in sick, the Nuggets ambled inside the Pepsi Center for their first meeting about the Mavericks. It went fast. Even Karl, following the previous evening's game, admitted he was tired, and he probably should have let everyone stay home.

"It ended, and I said, 'Hey, get out of here, have fun,' " Karl recalled. "But Chauncey, Kenyon and Melo all came up to me, and we just sat there for about 15 minutes, talking."

Said Martin: "We all have different views and ideas about how we should go about this series, and we're trying to give George our views and hear the things that he's thinking. He values our opinion a lot, especially myself and Chauncey. And Melo, he's still a young guy and a huge part of this team, so we need his input."

Three postseasons ago, Martin and Karl feuded like J.R. Ewing and Cliff Barnes in "Dallas" (or J.R. Smith and Mark Cuban in Dallas). Last postseason, Anthony said "we quit" after a loss to the Lakers, in reference to players and coaches. This postseason, Martin and Anthony are proud team captains, and Billups, well, he's a maestro.

The Nuggets are hungry, but they've also been handed a menu that's foreign. Of the team's rotation players, only Martin, Billups and Anthony Carter have played past the first round. And in the playoffs, experience is a skill.

"I think in close games, experience always is a value," Karl said.

Take Martin. Normally, he does interviews with his shoulder leaning towards the exit, but Friday, he held court courtside, telling old stories from his New Jersey seasons, which he hopes can help Denver this postseason. One story: It was the 2002 Eastern Conference finals, and with the series tied 1-1, Martin's Nets led the Celtics by 21 points entering the fourth.

They lost.

But, they persevered to win the next three and advanced to the NBA Finals.

"Knowing that situation, knowing that the game shouldn't have gotten to that point, knowing that we bounced back the next three games to beat them — all the experiences you can go through at this time of year helps, good and bad," Martin said. "You learn from your mistakes, you learn from the things you did well, and you build on that and try to eliminate the things that you did wrong."

Shared experiences can permeate throughout a series, through a locker room, a practice session, a pregame talk and, if need be, a key moment of a key game.

That's where Billups comes in. While the Nuggets hadn't won a first-round series since Mr. Big Shot was in high school, Billups is shooting for his seventh consecutive conference finals.

"Chauncey, he's the perfect guy because he does all those (leadership) things now, but early on in his career, he didn't," said NBA TV analyst Eric Snow, who played key minutes for three different NBA Finals teams.

So you know he had gone through the grind and trials, figured out that craft, so now it's easier for him to relate to a Carmelo Anthony or a J.R. Smith, because he's been on both sides of this.

"He has the experience to see a guy have a down game and is frustrated, and knows what to tell him. Or, be able to foresee things that are coming."

Do the hustle

In another private moment after Wednesday's series win, Karl spotted Anthony, each suspiciously missing the gorilla on their backs (the next day, team chef Mike Osterman said he was preparing "cooked gorilla.") That night, Karl told Anthony, who scored 34 points, "This is where you want to be."

Karl likened it to an actor on Broadway who had smaller parts before getting a lead role and seeing his name on the marquee.

But the playoff spotlight is bright. Asked if he feared Melo could get stage fright, Karl said: "No, the exact opposite. I think there's going to be a release of his stress to swing freely."

Snow believes the key to postseason success is winning the "hustle game" — attacking the boards while forcing ill-advised shots and turnovers. In the postseason, Snow said, "It's all about possessions."

Dallas is white hot. But the Nuggets believe they have the know-how and hunger to knock down destiny's door. It conjures up the image of the film "Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory," with the obese Augustus Gloop outside the factory doors, bellowing: "Let me in, I'm starving!"

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Brian Dawkins

this should be a fun series to watch.... I hope both teams bring it and I hope the nuggs come out has the victor
    WE WILL MISS THIS GUY BY WEEK 10

AFTER WEEK 10 I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR THE CUTLER HATERS SPEAK UP!

3. The Following User High Fived broncfn90 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

woooo, second round is almost here. . . . get it, nugs!
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

5. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

NBA commercials kick ass...

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

9. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Game time!
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

Adopted Bronco:
    Knowshon Moreno

What is KMart thinking....hopefully he doesn't get tossed.
    I NO LONGER support Rahim Moore.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

On one hand, that was a dumb foul by Martin...

But on the other hand, it's game 1, Dirk is 5-5 from the floor... I don't mind sending him a little message there. (As long as he doesn't get ejected.)

13. The Following 3 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post

But on the other hand, it's game 1, Dirk is 5-5 from the floor... I don't mind sending him a little message there. (As long as he doesn't get ejected.)
    I agree...methinks that was the thought process esp. since Dirky needed to get slowed down.

Nug's need to get some shooting going...what? 6-17 in the 1st or something like that?

Cmon, Nugs!

15. The Following User High Fived Broncolingus For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

That was GREAT - John Elway, with a #7 Nuggets jersey on, introducing the "new #7 - Chauncey Billups"

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

17. The Following 3 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

The Mavs are shooting lights out, and we're not. Melo and Smith need to find their shots because the Mavs are obviously prioritizing Billups.

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Knowshon Moreno

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post

Foul him hard, but don't give him the forearm shiver!

He only got a T, but people get tossed for less than that.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by honz View Post
    Foul him hard, but don't give him the forearm shiver!

He only got a T, but people get tossed for less than that.
    Yeah, I agree. Now if he gets another T we're in trouble. But we're talking about K-Mart. He's not exactly a rational thinker.

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Just have to fight through a hot Dirk who is getting the calls and play ball. Playoff ball is rough, if they ejected K-Mart for that then there would have been hell, Rondo, Howard anyone?

Nene taking it strong to the rim!
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

Adopted Bronco:
    Knowshon Moreno

JR's butt is bleeding...

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information