Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Does the fact that Osweiler failed to win the backup job make him a failed pick?

Quote Originally Posted by gregbroncs View Post
    I don't believe it guarantees he will fail. But it is a bad sign that he could not beat out a guy like Hanie.
    You might have noticed that Adam Weber looked the best of the three backup QBs and he didn't even make the roster.

Why is that? Answer: Because they're not looking at putting in a rookie as Peyton Manning's replacement. They want a veteran. Hence Haney. Period.

If Osweiler had played like Andrew Luck could he have beaten out Hanie? Maybe. We don't really know the answer to that. Lots of talk about how the Broncos were looking to go with only 2 QBs and were giving Osweiler the chance to prove he's ready, blah, blah, blah.

But, none of that speculation came from Dove Valley. All of it came from sports talk show hosts making assumptions.

In truth, Fox has always HATED starting rookies. He wasn't going to start his 1st pick, Derek Wolfe despite how good he looked in the pre-season until Jason Hunter went down for the season.

And if Manning were hurt and was going to miss a couple of games? Does Fox really want to start a rookie? NO! Of course, if Manning were lost for the season at any point there would be no real purpose in starting Hanie. Hanie is never going to lead the Broncos on a playoff run.

In that case it's Osweiler time. Might as well get him some experience.

But, it's idiotic to assume that because 21 year old Brock Osweiler didn't beat out the veteran Hanie to become the backup to Manning, that he's a bust.

A big part of the reason Denver drafted him is that he's NOT ready. They didn't WANT a 27 year old QB like Russell Wilson who might be ready this year or next.

They WANT a raw rookie with some basic skills whom they can mold into a starting QB the way Green Bay did with Aaron Rogers.

Is Osweiler ever going to become Aaron Rogers? Who knows? He certainly is nothing like him now. But, he's also going to be content to sit on the bench for 3 or 4 years and work on his development because by the time Manning retires he'll only be 24 or 25 years old. (Weber is 27 now and Brandon Weeden whom the Broncos liked and might have tried to draft if he were available and if Manning had chosen another team, is 29).

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nightterror218 View Post
    imo the only reason he is #3 is because elway/fox want to make a sb push and think with a good backup qb they could still do it if manning goes down. I think haine blows and osweiler could be better, they wanted a vet backup for that scenario. Next season i see no reason to keep a vet backup to manning though. Osweiler is going to be a 3rd or 4th year starer giving manning 2-3 years of play.
    that's my thinking too. If it comes to where peyton goes down and henne steps in, it will be nmt 4 games before oz starts

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Yes. It's a failed pick as of 9/3/12. He's taking up roster space. That roster space could go toward depth. Mid-season, we will have injuries. Some position will lack enough depth. Os will be hurting our SB chances at that point.

However, in two years he may be a positive addition. I hope so. It remains to be seen. It's fine to use a negative label at this point, hell, he's taking up space. Neither Hanie nor Os are leading us to a SB, so any QB2 QB3 roster space is wasted, really. Right now.
    How is he taking up "roster space" when a roster spot would already be filled with someone at that position? Makes ZERO sense. How many situations have you seen where an NFL team hires a guy like Manning to "man the ship" for a 3 year stint? None. Why would it not make sense to have someone learning from him, while they can, instead of "hoping" to find someone later?
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

5. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Remember when Tebow was our 4th stringer...until Orton needed pulled. The depth chart may say one thing and something completely different could transpire when push comes to shove.

7. The Following User High Fived SmilinAssasSin27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Zambini View Post
    nice deflection with a colloge strategy designed to get an exra year of development for guys who have LIMITED 4 year opportunity ! cant name a single QB can ANY of YOU !
    OS was overdarfated ! he was a fixation and now JE has to red shirt hiom, or HIDE him from action, sorry to be so anti semantic !
    JE does not want the bronco faithful to see how worthless brocko is right now!
    WEBBER is beter than OS right now, how would it look if WEBBER went in before OS ?
    thats why JE had to keep captain incompetent, hnie !
    pathetic !
    of course its not a big deal right now. it becomes a big deal if somebody has to play for PM.
    its a big deal when you woulfd rather HIDE your future QB than give him real game experience!
    that is a very big deal, it is the first time EVER, if you dont count TEBOW !
    a FRDC that JMCD was afraid to put in a game as anything other than a gimmick !
    I'm not saying he wasn't overdrafted, l wouldn't have taken a QB that high. I am saying that it's not an issue, the Broncos may actually look at his spot on the depth chart as a good thing.

As far as this being a failed pick, I look at it the same way Manning explained his decision to sign with Denver when he said it's up to him to make it the right decision. It's the same thing with this pick, it's up to Osweiler and the Broncos to make this pick the right decision.

The Broncos didn't think he'd be there with their 3rd round pick and it's not like they took an option QB with massive developmental issues with a 1st round pick. The second round is not too high to take a project and Osweiler certainly appears to have the physical skills to develope. It's not hard to see why Elway was "fixated" on drafting this project.......
    Last edited by Simple Jaded; 09-04-2012 at 07:16 PM.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Uh-oh. Elway said there's only going to be two active quarterbacks on the Gameday roster (you're only allowed 46 active players). That ought to get Zam's blood boiling.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

this thread can't be serious...

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

So Osweiler might not even suit up? Bust!

Default Does the fact that Osweiler failed to win the backup job make him a failed pick?

How could osweiler be a bust when he had no expectations to succeed? He's a developmental player, not a franchise savior. We all seemed to acknowledge that after the draft. What changed?

By the way, if I could ban one word on this board it would be "bust." it's thrown around too loosely.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived rationalfan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

Lol!

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    I'm not saying he wasn't overdrafted, l wouldn't have taken a QB that high. I am saying that it's not an issue, the Broncos may actually look at his spot on the depth chart as a good thing.

As far as this being a failed pick, I look at it the same way Manning explained his decision to sign with Denver when he said it's up to him to make it the right decision. It's the same thing with this pick, it's up to Osweiler and the Broncos to make this pick the right decision.

The Broncos didn't think he'd be there with their 3rd round pick and it's not like they took an option QB with massive developmental issues with a 1st round pick. The second round is not too high to take a project and Osweiler certainly appears to have the physical skills to develope. It's not hard to see why Elway was "fixated" on drafting this project.......
    nobody in the NFL is EVER going to say, " we missed our chance at brock osweiler! "
    he wasnt gpoing to be around for our THIRD round pick?
    who gives a flying F?
    other than JE, nobody !
    lame use of a pick, likely to be a poor investment that JE will continue to try and justify by disregarding other QB options for the next 4 years !
    oif JE "red-shirts" BO.
    just like JMCD red-shirted tebow,
    we likely will discover the reasons are the same!
    CAN WE PLEASE JUST SKIP ALL THE NONESENSE AND JUST TALK FOOTBALL?

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

osweiler is ALREADY the official, ordained, FUYURE of the franchise! this according to the most powerful person in broncoland, ELWAY !
    so dont expect JE to bring in anyone who could possibly unseat BO as the heir apparant, that would be an admission of FALIURE !
    for now,O is so inept, JE is AFRAID to display his lack of ability against ral NFL starters in a real NFL game !
    JE thinks that exposing BO to a real game will NOT be a bevfit to his project, his learning his 'lack of experience"
    the big excuse for BO is that he lacks experience!
    JEs gameplan for this year is to make sure it stays that way?
    brilliant !
    CAN WE PLEASE JUST SKIP ALL THE NONESENSE AND JUST TALK FOOTBALL?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Zambini View Post
    nobody in the NFL is EVER going to say, " we missed our chance at brock osweiler! "
    he wasnt gpoing to be around for our THIRD round pick?
    who gives a flying F?
    other than JE, nobody !
    lame use of a pick, likely to be a poor investment that JE will continue to try and justify by disregarding other QB options for the next 4 years !
    oif JE "red-shirts" BO.
    just like JMCD red-shirted tebow,
    we likely will discover the reasons are the same!
    I give a Flying **** if Osweiler wouldn't be there with their 3rd, you don't, but who gives a Flying **** about what the **** you and I give a Flying **** about? Elway wanted to draft Osweiler bad enough to take him at the end of the 2nd round, that is nowhere near the kind of investment made in the case of Tim Tebow. Osweiler has a much better skill set and the end of the second is a much better place to take a project.

If Tebow were drafted at the end of round 2 he might still be here.

As far as Elway hiding a mistake, he just gave Drayton Florence $1.5 mil for 4 months worth of work and then cut him, so I doubt he's worried about what we think of his personnel decisions.......
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

OMG! He was a 1yr starter, a basketball player who Elway saw POTENTIAL in. To even THINK he could come in and supplant a veteran qb right out of camp, is not only ridiculous, but assinine.
    There's a reason he was called the "qb of the future". Is this dude serious or just bored and couldnt think of anything else to say?
    Bitter Clinger. Deal with it.

19. The Following User High Fived rcsodak For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    I give a Flying **** if Osweiler wouldn't be there with their 3rd, you don't, but who gives a Flying **** about what the **** you and I give a Flying **** about? Elway wanted to draft Osweiler bad enough to take him at the end of the 2nd round, that is nowhere near the kind of investment made in the case of Tim Tebow. Osweiler has a much better skill set and the end of the second is a much better place to take a project.

If Tebow were drafted at the end of round 2 he might still be here.

As far as Elway hiding a mistake, he just gave Drayton Florence $1.5 mil for 4 months worth of work and then cut him, so I doubt he's worried about what we think of his personnel decisions.......
    Was florence's contract guaranteed or have a signing bonus?
    If so, thats too bad. He WAS a bust FA signing. Imho
    Bitter Clinger. Deal with it.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information