Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Manning points finger at himself - Tebow blames others

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    He was standing in the endzone !! Standing there! He was WIDE open! It was a 35 yard pass. There is no excuse for this one at all Cat.
    The biggest issue to me isn't the throw.

It's that the quarterback couldn't recognize the blown coverage at all, and instead "scrambled" in the first place. The cornerback chucks the receiver at the line and plays a short zone, while the safety is in a deep half and the linebacker is nowhere to be seen. Hill is wide open less than a half second into the play and the quarterback is "scrambling" instead of sliding in the pocket. If he slides, he sees him and hits him.

That's the biggest issue on the play.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post

Sorry Topper, I scan thread titles fairly quick since I haven't been around here and reading that one quick lead to that conclusion.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    The biggest issue to me isn't the throw.

It's that the quarterback couldn't recognize the blown coverage at all, and instead "scrambled" in the first place. The cornerback chucks the receiver at the line and plays a short zone, while the safety is in a deep half and the linebacker is nowhere to be seen. Hill is wide open less than a half second into the play and the quarterback is "scrambling" instead of sliding in the pocket. If he slides, he sees him and hits him.

That's the biggest issue on the play.
    Just watching it again since it is being re broadcast now. His first read was double covered, his second read was hill, when he goes to his second read hill is covered and he starts to roll right where the back is uncovered in the flat, he pumps to the flat, the CB bites and moves to the flat leaving hill open Tebow probably should have thrown sooner, but he did go thorugh his progressions and the guys were covered at least decently until he was on the move. I can show screen caps if you want. Still a poor pass though

Facts are stubborn, but statistics are more pliable. -
    Mark Twain

I am a great believer in luck, I find the harder I work, the luckier I become-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post
    1. Why if the scramble drill is to get to the endzone the receiver would not run full speed there,

edit: the above questions are asked out of genuine curiosity not an attempt to allay blame. I really want to know if the receiver could/should have done different and why/why not it does not excuse the general shittyness of the pass.
    You have asked this question a couple times, and I'll give an answer. WHy does the WR slow down? VERY VERY simple. He's SOOO wide open, there is NO REASON to sprint and make the throw harder for the QB. Not only does slowing down give the QB a LOT of field to throw to (instead of a hoola-hoop to a sprinting WR), but it gives the WR plenty of room as well. Since they were that close to the endzone, it would be foolish for him to run at full speed with a scrambling QB. If you are wide open, make it VERY easy for the QB to hit you. The faster you are moving, the smaller room for error on the throw (y ou would think).

If they were on their side of the field, then the WR probably would run (unless he felt that he would out run the QB's range). The QB was scrambling to his wrong side, the WR can see this, and knows the QB doesn't have the range he would from the pocket or if rolling to his strong side. But since they are near the endzone, Tebow can't just CHUCK it has hard as he can since he can't over throw the endzone anyway. Slow down, give the QB LOTS of field to throw it to, and run to the ball.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    You have asked this question a couple times, and I'll give an answer. WHy does the WR slow down? VERY VERY simple. He's SOOO wide open, there is NO REASON to sprint and make the throw harder for the QB. Not only does slowing down give the QB a LOT of field to throw to (instead of a hoola-hoop to a sprinting WR), but it gives the WR plenty of room as well. Since they were that close to the endzone, it would be foolish for him to run at full speed with a scrambling QB. If you are wide open, make it VERY easy for the QB to hit you. The faster you are moving, the smaller room for error on the throw (y ou would think).

If they were on their side of the field, then the WR probably would run (unless he felt that he would out run the QB's range). The QB was scrambling to his wrong side, the WR can see this, and knows the QB doesn't have the range he would from the pocket or if rolling to his strong side. But since they are near the endzone, Tebow can't just CHUCK it has hard as he can since he can't over throw the endzone anyway. Slow down, give the QB LOTS of field to throw it to, and run to the ball.
    that is a good reasonable answer. I can buy that.

Mark Twain

I am a great believer in luck, I find the harder I work, the luckier I become-Thomas Jefferson

9. The Following User High Fived catfish For This Post:

that is a good reasonable answer. I can buy that.
    The general rule when throwing a deep ball, is that you throw it where the WR can run to it, b the defender can't get to it. When you have a WR that is wide open, the general rule is simply "do not miss the throw." Meaning, don't try to him them in stride, don't try to be precise with the throw, just don't over throw. Put the ball out there, and be sure the WR can run to it even if that means slowing down, or stopping.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

11. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    The general rule when throwing a deep ball, is that you throw it where the WR can run to it, b the defender can't get to it. When you have a WR that is wide open, the general rule is simply "do not miss the throw." Meaning, don't try to him them in stride, don't try to be precise with the throw, just don't over throw. Put the ball out there, and be sure the WR can run to it even if that means slowing down, or stopping.
    I guess that was kind of my train of thought, maybe a bit of an arc on the ball and even if the receiver has to stop he has time to get back to it, instead it was a bullet short and the receiver didn't have time to react. by the time he realized how short the pass would be all he could do was dive at it and not quite get to it. Thank you for the answer

Mark Twain

13. The Following User High Fived catfish For This Post:

I guess that was kind of my train of thought, maybe a bit of an arc on the ball and even if the receiver has to stop he has time to get back to it, instead it was a bullet short and the receiver didn't have time to react. by the time he realized how short the pass would be all he could do was dive at it and not quite get to it. Thank you for the answer
    I remember last year, Matt Cassel getting a lot of crap from KC Chief fans because of a deep ball he threw to the endzone, and it didn't "lead" the WR. The WR was wide wide open. Matt laid it out there, the receiver had to stop in front of the endzone to catch it. People were complaining that it was a "bad throw." Had he thrown that same ball while being covered, yeah, it would have been a bad throw. But when his WR was that wide open, he threw it so it was a "definite" catch-n-throw. No need to be perfect on something like that.

Moral of the story... cant please everyone.

15. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

17. The Following User High Fived Dzone For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information