Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: If you attempt a 101 yard field goal, and you miss it, is it a safety?

not only logistically questionable MS. I also question the game calling here. it's probably better to punt the ball away

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoNut For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Doesn't the kicker usually have to take a pretty good running start to make a FG? Especially from that distance. I think the ball is usually placed about 8 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Since you can't posess the ball in the endzone, I just don't see how its logistically possible.
    You can possess the ball in the endzone. QBs drop back in the endzone all the time. Punters kick from the endzone all the time. Usually the kicker is 7 yrds behind the LoS on a field goal attempt..... but I would think kicking one 101 yrds the kicker would have to have a pretty good head start! Like in Kick Offs, they usually take a 13 step run!
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    You can possess the ball in the endzone. QBs drop back in the endzone all the time. Punters kick from the endzone all the time. Usually the kicker is 7 yrds behind the LoS on a field goal attempt..... but I would think kicking one 101 yrds the kicker would have to have a pretty good head start! Like in Kick Offs, they usually take a 13 step run!
    Sorry, what I mean is you can't take a snap with the ball in the endzone. The ball would be placed just outside and there is no room to get a good kick off from.

I was looking up the rules on this and came across a cool article. Worth the read if you have time:

15. A Team Can Score 3 Points Without Kicking A Field Goal

I put this one at the bottom because it’s the one that the most people probably know about. It’s the one that, if, say, you’re a grad student trying to compile a list of weird NFL rules and you start asking all your football-savvy friends for their input, will come up over and over again even though its one of the few things you already knew. Still, if you haven’t encountered this before it’s rather nifty. It turns out that, after a punt or a kickoff that was fielded by fair catch, the team receiving the kick actually has two options: they can run a play from scrimmage (also known as “doing normal football things”) or they can attempt a type of free kick called a “fair catch kick.” If the kick goes through the uprights, they score three points. Of course, in this day and age it almost never happens that a team receives a fair catch in good enough field position that they would rather try a free kick than just run some plays, but it happens occasionally towards the end of a half, particularly if there simply isn’t time to run any other kind of play. In 1969 a fair-catch kick was actually the game-winning score in a game for the Chicago Bears, and a year later the Redskins just missed a similar kick that would have broken the tie. Since then, only one more fair-catch kick has been successful (by the 76 Chargers), although a number have been tried. Here’s CU Alum Mason Crosby trying one two years ago with the Packers from 69 yards, and coming just short. What a shame.
    http://wlogblog.wordpress.com/2011/0...n-in-football/

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by shank View Post
    who here has madden?
    I attempted a FG in the end zone with the defense on full on block, gave me a safety.

Attempted a FG in the end zone with defense on FG block return, gave me a safety and didn't give the returnman a chance to return.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

7. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I attempted a FG in the end zone with the defense on full on block, gave me a safety.

Attempted a FG in the end zone with defense on FG block return, gave me a safety and didn't give the returnman a chance to return.
    what year do you have? i know they were late adding the ability to return short field goals. i haven't played since '11 and i honestly can't remember if it was even in it last year.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by shank View Post
    what year do you have? i know they were late adding the ability to return short field goals. i haven't played since '11 and i honestly can't remember if it was even in it last year.
    Last year's
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

I have another question:

Who would be stupid enough to attempt a FG that long?
    Merry.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I have another question:

Who would be stupid enough to attempt a FG that long?
    That's not really the point of the thread. I think everyone would agree it's not something that would realistically ever happen in an NFL game. It's simply a hypothetical discussion on the rules. I think it's a pretty interesting topic.

12. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by Softskull View Post
    I think it's time to ease off the "medication".

I guess working nights will do that to a person. I start graveyard Monday night

3 pages?

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Young Jeezy could make it.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information