Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: If you attempt a 101 yard field goal, and you miss it, is it a safety?

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
    From my interpretation it only becomes live if the receiving team touches it.
    that was how i thought it worked as well.

who here has madden?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I'm almost 100% positive the ball only becomes live if the defensive team touches it. If they let the ball roll to a stop it becomes dead and they take it from where the FG was kicked.

4. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Who really cares? I don't think any football team would be trying a 100 yard FG in the next century.

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
    I'm almost 100% positive the ball only becomes live if the defensive team touches it. If they let the ball roll to a stop it becomes dead and they take it from where the FG was kicked.
    I believe you are right. I didn't look up the rules before making a guess, but much like a punt that is live, if the ball just sits for a few seconds, the whistle is blown dead. If thats the case in this instance, the ball would be then place ( as you said) and would be a safety.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by jhildebrand View Post
    Who really cares? I don't think any football team would be trying a 100 yard FG in the next century.
    Because it's something fun to discuss.

8. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    I believe you are right. I didn't look up the rules before making a guess, but much like a punt that is live, if the ball just sits for a few seconds, the whistle is blown dead. If thats the case in this instance, the ball would be then place ( as you said) and would be a safety.
    Yeah, I think the only kicking situation in which a ball stays live on the ground is a kickoff since either team can recover and take possession.

Quote Originally Posted by jhildebrand View Post
    we just locked up matt ******* prater bro, it's a possibility.

11. The Following User High Fived shank For This Post:

it's an impossible scenario. one would have to have the ball on the -1 yard, in the end zone, and that would have already been the safety with the team having to kick the ball to the team that scored the safety. that is my understanding at this time anyway

Quote Originally Posted by bronconut View Post
    it's an impossible scenario. one would have to have the ball on the -1 yard, in the end zone, and that would have already been the safety with the team having to kick the ball to the team that scored the safety. that is my understanding at this time anyway
    if you kicked a field goal from your own 6, it would be placed inside your own endzone. yardage is determined from the spot of the kick, not the line of scrimmage.

Quote Originally Posted by bronconut View Post
    The ball could be on the 6, and snapped back to the -1 for the hold. Unless its illegal to place the ball for the hold inside the endzone, to begin with.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Quote Originally Posted by shank View Post
    if you kicked a field goal from your own 6, it would be placed inside your own endzone. yardage is determined from the spot of the kick, not the line of scrimmage.
    I would think that the team would punt the ball in that case then. to get better field position. the chances of making a field goal from that far away is pretty low I would imagine. Even for the best kicker in the league whoever that is.

Im actually guessing, that it may be illegal to place the ball down for a kick inside your own endzone, since the placement of the ball to the turf designates a new LoS. Thus, having to place the ball at the 6" mark so that the refs could then place the ball in event of a miss.

Im actually guessing, that it may be illegal to place the ball down for a kick inside your own endzone, since the placement of the ball to the turf designates a new LoS. Thus, having to place the ball at the 6" mark so that the refs could then place the ball in event of a miss.
    unless, in doing so, you subject yourself to an automatic safety in the case of a miss, which is what keeps sneakers up at day.

18. The Following User High Fived shank For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

The ball could be on the 6, and snapped back to the -1 for the hold. Unless its illegal to place the ball for the hold inside the endzone, to begin with.
    Doesn't the kicker usually have to take a pretty good running start to make a FG? Especially from that distance. I think the ball is usually placed about 8 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Since you can't posess the ball in the endzone, I just don't see how its logistically possible.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information